[net.micro.cpm] need MICRO:<CPM.WSTAR> from SIMTEL20

zemon@felix.UUCP (04/11/84)

As the subject says, I need a copy of MICRO:<CPM.WSTAR>
from SIMTEL20.  Unfortunately, I don't have Arpanet access.
Would someone out there who has access to SIMTEL20 please
forward the file to me?

Thanks,
	Art Zemon
	FileNet Corp.
	...!{ucbvax, decvax}!trwrb!felix!zemon

ABN.ISCAMS@Usc-Isid.ARPA (04/17/84)

Art,

(Netland, I'll help him so don't deluge the fellow!)

<CPM.WSTAR> is an entire directory, with lots of files (some of which NOT so
very small!)  Do you want the WHOLE THING?  Do you want just the directory
listing for CPM.WSTAR so you can pick and choose?  Glad to help either route,
but if you want it ALL, we might have to do this bits and pieces.

Can you FTP at all?  If so, you can reach out and grab it from my directory.
If not, I can send it directly via electronic mail (but will have to HEXIFY
the .COM/binary files, which will be in ITS-binary format - you'll have to
convert back if moving to a micro).

My mailer seems to be choking lately on really big files, but we can find
a way.

Regards (just respond directly to me),
David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall
(ABN.ISCAMS@USC-ISID)

wcwells%ucbopal.CC@Ucb-Vax.ARPA (04/17/84)

From:  William C. Wells <wcwells%ucbopal.CC@Ucb-Vax.ARPA>

In reference to:

	Date: 17 Apr 1984 11:33-EST
	Sender: ABN.ISCAMS@Usc-Isid.ARPA
	Subject: Re: need MICRO:<CPM.WSTAR> from SIMTEL20
	From: ABN.ISCAMS@Usc-Isid.ARPA
	To: decvax!ittvax!dcdwest!sdcsvax!bmcg!felix!zemon@BERKELEY
	Cc: info-cpm@Brl-Aos.ARPA
		from decvax!ittvax!dcdwest!sdcsvax!bmcg!felix!zemon@Ucb-Vax.ARPA

Internet users note:

	CARE SHOULD BE TAKEN WHEN REPLYING TO MAIL
	RECEIVED FROM THE USENET NEWS SYSTEM.

Usenet news group "net.micro.cpm" are being feed to the INFO-CPM mail
distribution list. Long "@BERKELEY" addresses with local address
containing a large number of hosts separated by exclamation points "!"
are not necessarily valid mail addresses.  If the message came from the
USENET News system, the local address is a record of the hosts that the
news article has been distributed to before being relayed to INFO-CPM.
In some cases a news article may have gone back and forth across the
country several times before being relayed to INFO-CPM.

In the case of:

	To: decvax!ittvax!dcdwest!sdcsvax!bmcg!felix!zemon@BERKELEY

the

	decvax!ittvax!dcdwest!sdcsvax!bmcg!felix!zemon

is a USENET news distribution path, not a UUCP mail path. The address

	To: decvax!ittvax!dcdwest!sdcsvax!bmcg!felix!zemon@BERKELEY

would mail your reply via ucbvax (@Berkeley), then decvax
(on the East Coast) then to ittvax, then ittvax, then sdcsvax
(UC San Diego) which is linked to ucbvax (@Berkeley).
One of the following addresses:

	To: trwrb!felix!zemon@BERKELEY

or

	To: sdcsvax!bmcg!felix!zemon@BERKELEY

would have been more direct and cheaper for all concerned.

Please note that UUCP mail goes via dial telephone links,
sometime at very slow speeds (110, 300 baud etc.).  Thus sending
large files via UUCP can be very expensive for the relay sites
(hostids between !'s) concerned. UUCP mail is not intended for
large file transfers. There is currently 100000 character limit on
messages relayed to UUCP sites via UCBVAX ("@Berkeley").  Abuse of
UUCP mail will result in lower limits being set for mail relay from
Internet to UUCP, and/or in UUCP mail sites disconnecting from the UUCP
network because they cannot paid huge telephone bills for tranferring
other peoples mail.

It is suggested that users at UUCP sites requesting copies of public
domain software from SIMTEL20 be referred to offline sources or RCPM
systems. For example CPMUG and SIG/M volumes are available via mail
order on the East Coast from the New York Amateur Computer Club and
on the West Coast from Piconet CP/M Users Group.

Bill Wells
wcwells@Berkeley.ARPA
ucbvax!wcwells

towson@Amsaa.ARPA (04/18/84)

From:      David Towson (CSD) <towson@Amsaa.ARPA>

Bill - I enjoyed reading your message on USENET address strings, and I was
struck with the hopelessness of the average DDN user being able to figure out
the "proper" return path unless USENET message-posters do as you have done;
namely, include the desired return path in the message BODY.  Frankly, I don't
know the best USENET path for someone to send mail to my DDN address,
"towson@amsaa".  I would be grateful if someone would tell me.  Normally, when I
reply to a message, I just issue the "answer" command to the mail program and
let it get the return path from the header of the message being answered.  You
have just shown where that can get you with respect to USENET messages.  It is
also interesting to note that when I reply to you using the "answer" command,
the return path is taken to be "wcwells%ucbopal.CC@ucb-vax", and not your
preferred path "wcwells@berkeley (or ucb-vax)".

Dave
towson@amsaa