From:      David Towson (CSD) <towson@Amsaa.ARPA>

Date: 22 Apr 1984 20:19:00 EST (Sunday)
From: Jeffrey Edelheit <edelheit@mitre>
Subject: Re: How does one reach SIMTEL20 for CP/M(tm) Public Domain Software???
To: ihnp4!ihuxp!gvw1@Ucb-Vax.ARPA
Cc: towson@amsaa

George - the answer to your question is yes, you must have access to either
ARPA or MILNET to get to Simtel20.  Until recently, there were offers to
pass specific files from SIMTEL20 to usenet folks by electronic mail, however
there have been some msgs regarding the cost of telecom for usenet
(specifically point to point direct dial at low speeds) and the desire not
to pass large msgs (files) this way.

I have taken the liberty to cc Dave Towson on this note.  Dave is sort of the
systems administrator for info-cpm, and I would like to address a point to
him.
	Dave - I realize because of security and all that the usenet folks can't
get access to SIMTEL20; however isn't there something that can be done in light
of Bill Wells' recent comments?  If I was on the usenet side and kept seeing
all the msgs about all the good stuff at SIMTEL20, I would be really jealous
or frustrated.

Regards to all,
Jeff Edelheit
(edelheit at mitre)

Jeff - If there is a totally satisfactory answer to the question of getting
non-DDN people access to the files on Simtel20, I don't know what it is.  The
only solutions I know of that don't require the shipping of files via netmail
are:

	1.  Buying the desired volumes (disks) from SIG/M or CPMUG at their
	    very reasonable prices.
	2.  Dialing-up a local Remote CP/M system, and transferring the desired
	    files using XMODEM (or some such file-transfer program).
	3.  Sending a request out to netland asking for some kind soul to write
	    the desired files on a disk supplied by the requester.  This method
	    involves use of the U.S. Mail or other delivery service.
	4.  Making an official request through appropriate channels for copies
	    of the archives in the form of DEC-20 dumper tapes.  This takes
	    several reels of 9-track tape, takes a lot of somebody's time, and
	    is of no value to those who don't have a compatible machine to read
	    the tapes.  For large groups of interested users, however, it is an
	    option.  Those wishing to to pursue this course should contact
	    Frank Wancho <wancho@simtel20> for details.  They should also be
	    prepared to be patient.

     I will be happy to receive additional suggestions concerning this matter,
and if I can put together a useful summary, I'll add it to my archive blurb
that I send to new list people (and periodically to the whole list).  But let's
face it, DDN people, those of us on the ARPA and MILNETs owe a VERY BIG THANK
YOU to Keith Petersen for managing most of the archives, to Rick Conn for
managing the <UNIX> archive, and to Frank Wancho for arranging for the Simtel20
resources to be made available for this service.  Those of us who have direct
access to the machine are DARNED LUCKY!

Dave
towson@amsaa