[net.micro.cpm] Q: Squeaky floppy drive

W8SDZ@Simtel20.ARPA@sri-unix.UUCP (05/14/84)

From:  Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@Simtel20.ARPA>

    Date: Sat 5 May 84 11:50:04-PDT
    From: Tim Gonsalves <Fat.Tag@SU-SIERRA.ARPA>
    Subject: Q: Squeaky floppy drive
    To: info-micro@BRL-VGR.ARPA

    What would cause the head of a 5 1/4" floppy drive (Tandon 100-2)
    to squeak (like the disc brakes on many cars) when the head is
    seeking?  This occurs intermittently, usually on long seeks, seems
    independent of the disk.  The  same disks work fine on another
    drive.  Any remedies?

    				Tim Gonsalves,
    				Gonsalves@SU-Sierra.Arpa

Charlie Strom sent a message some time ago that may provide the
answer:

Date: 6/17/81
From: Charlie Strom
To:   All
Re:   Shugart disk drive lubrication

I recently received some valuable info re lubrication of
Shugart 8" drives, prompted by intermittant squeaking from
a drive!  Carefully, spray a small amount of aerosol sili-
cone lubricant on the lead screw (without getting it all
over the place!)  I was amazed at the noise reduction I saw
immediately.  According to my source, Shugart has done this
themselves in spite of no mention in service manuals.  It
certainly hasn't hurt my drive operation.  Don't use a
lubricant with any petroleum base... pure silicone (food
grade) only!  The brand I have is called Sprayway, from
Sprayway, Inc., Addison, Ill 60101.