[net.micro.cpm] mdm740 copyrighted-- how can he do it??

covert@ihuxq.UUCP (covert) (06/08/84)

<heres to ih>
How can Irv Hoffman copyright the mdm7xx programs. As I understand
it the latest mdm740 is based upon the original work of Ward
Christensen. Is Hoffman going to split his profits with Ward??
Also, how did Irv Hoffman get sole possension of the source code to
mdm7xx??
I for one, will not buy Hoffman's version of mdm7xx even though I have
been using the mdm7xx programs for years.
BTW, if anyone has the source to mdm740 and wishes it translated to
the Zilog mnemonics then I have a program called makez80 which does
the translation.(A little plug for my program,he he he).

	Heres to hoping that public domain programs remain public.

--
			Richard Covert
			AT&T Bell Laboratories

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (06/12/84)

>From: covert@ihuxq.UUCP (covert) Fri Jun  8 09:34:30 1984
>How can Irv Hoffman copyright the mdm7xx programs. As I understand
>it the latest mdm740 is based upon the original work of Ward
>Christensen. Is Hoffman going to split his profits with Ward??
>	Heres to hoping that public domain programs remain public.

Once a program (or anything) has been put into the public domain,
it cannot be 'copyrighted'.  Any changes, however, can be.

For example, go to your neighborhood bookstore and pick up a copy
of Moby Dick (or, better yet, The Bible, King James Version).
You will probably find that it bears a copyright notice on the page
following the title page.  This copyright protects any original
preface, foreward, footnotes, or the like inserted into the text.
It also protects an abridgement if the work is abridged.
But it clearly does not mean that you can claim copyright to the
Bible (although that is something to think about...)

(Mark Twain once made fun of Mary Baker Eddy for suing a publisher
claiming copyright infringement when said publisher reprinted 'Science
and Health' or some other Christian Science text.  It seems
Twain wanted to know how Eddy could claim divine authorship of the
work and yet allege she was entitled to royalties.)

I don't believe there's anything illegal about putting a copyright
notice on a public domain work, unless someone could claim fraud.
In any event, it is certainly of questionable ethics!

I'm not a lawyer but I know what I like...
D Gary Grady
Duke University Computation Center, Durham, NC  27706
(919) 684-4146
USENET:  {decvax,ihnp4,akgua,etc.}!mcnc!ecsvax!dgary