[net.music] ANYONE ELSE HATE PRINCE...

dmf@whuxi.UUCP (02/08/85)

          I know I will get flames on this one but I fail to see

          what people see in that little Liberaci?

          Sure some <some is the key word> of his music is good

          but I wouldn't call him a brain child.

     Lets here it out there!!!!

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Dinsdale Piranha) (02/09/85)

>           I know I will get flames on this one but I fail to see
>           what people see in that little Liberaci?
>
>           Sure some <some is the key word> of his music is good
>           but I wouldn't call him a brain child.
>
>      Lets here it out there!!!!  [whuxi!dmf - DONNA]

*This* from a woman who IDOLIZES Duran Duran...
--
"Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?  I dunno."
				Rich Rosen 	{ihnp4 | harpo}!pyuxd!rlr

schmidt@reed.UUCP (Alan Schmidt) (02/11/85)

 >          I know I will get flames on this one but I fail to see
 >          what people see in that little Liberaci?
 >
 >          Sure, some <some is the key word> of his music is good,
 >          but I wouldn't call him a brain child.

	Sorry, "some" is not the key word.  The key word is "none."
Discussion of Prince does not belong in any group which discusses music.
Assuming we forget that he drips enough grease to cook a large order of
fries and that he's ugly enough to frighten even the most downtrodden
wombat, his "lyrics" are still staring us in the face with their
inanity.

	Go ahead.  Send flames.

"No more, no more, no more,
 (Such language holds the stricken sea
 To the sands upon the shore)
 Shall bloom the thunder blasted tree
 Or the stricken eagle soar."    -- E A Poe

Alan Schmidt
..tektronix!reed!schmidt

dmf@whuxi.UUCP (FLANAGAN) (02/11/85)

 DON'T LISTEN TO RICH ROSEN...... YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER.

schmidt@reed.UUCP (Alan Schmidt) (02/11/85)

Sorry about my latest posting.  I've been letting things get to me, and
it was not called for.

Alan
..tektronix!reed!schmidt

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Professor Wagstaff) (02/12/85)

>> *This* from a woman who IDOLIZES Duran Duran... [RICH ROSEN]

>  DON'T LISTEN TO RICH ROSEN...... YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER.  [DONNA FLANAGAN]

They already do, Donna.  ("know better", that is)  :-)

Tell us about how you became interested in the music of Trevor Rabin because
you thought he was cute?  For the first time in history I'm going to propose
a subgroup of net.music.  (Actually it's the second time, but I was ignored
the first time, with net.music.synth somehow usurping the idea of a more
ecumenical net.music.play...)  The group could be called net.music.prettyboy,
and could be used for discussion, not of music, but of how adorable Simon
Le Bon is, of Tina Turner's legs (despite the group name, no sex discrimination
here), of whether or not Prince/Michael Jackson/Eddie van Halen is gay (real
relevant to their music...), of how heavymetal bands have the studs riveted
into their clothes while they wear them, in general, any discussion of the
flash/glamour aspect of the "music industry" that has no relevance to the
discussion of music itself.  (Like this article...)  Perhaps a better and less
sexist name might be "net.music.glamour".  (Finally, a place to discuss Rod
Stewart...   I never said the idea didn't have its bad points. :-)
--
BRIAN:  "You're all different!"
CROWD:  "YES, WE'RE ALL DIFFERENT!"			Rich Rosen

chris@scgvaxd.UUCP (Chris Yoder) (02/12/85)

[bug poison]

I rate Prince up there with other great artistic talents like the Bee-Gees.
(Guess that gets him up to #1 or 2 on the bottom ten of my list.)

techpub@mhuxt.UUCP (mcgrew) (02/12/85)

>           I know I will get flames on this one but I fail to see
>
>           what people see in that little Liberaci?
>

>           Sure some <some is the key word> of his music is good
>
>           but I wouldn't call him a brain child.
>

>      Lets here it out there!!!!

YOU GOT IT!  I HATE PRINCE!!

There.

Melanie Lee

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Professor Wagstaff) (02/14/85)

>>          I know I will get flames on this one but I fail to see
>>          what people see in that little Liberaci?
>>
>>          Sure, some <some is the key word> of his music is good,
>>          but I wouldn't call him a brain child.

> 	Sorry, "some" is not the key word.  The key word is "none."
> Discussion of Prince does not belong in any group which discusses music.
> Assuming we forget that he drips enough grease to cook a large order of
> fries and that he's ugly enough to frighten even the most downtrodden
> wombat, his "lyrics" are still staring us in the face with their inanity.
>  [ALAN SCHMIDT]

And I don't like Arnold Schoenberg, because I don't like his haircut and
because he never used an underarm deodorant.  (Take *that*, Jeff Winslow! :-)

Alan Schmidt is quite right when he says that discussion of music that hinges
on "he drips enough grease to cook a large order of fries and he's ugly" does
NOT belong in a newsgroup that discusses music.  In fact, I'd said that people
whose musical tastes are based on such criteria (positively or negatively) have
little reason to discuss (or even listen to?) music at all.
--
"Remember, if you enjoyed reading this article half as much as I enjoyed
 writing it, then I enjoyed it twice as much as *you* did!"

gregbo@houxm.UUCP (Greg Skinner) (02/14/85)

> From: schmidt@reed.UUCP (Alan Schmidt)

>>          I know I will get flames on this one but I fail to see
>>          what people see in that little Liberaci?
>>
>>          Sure, some <some is the key word> of his music is good,
>>          but I wouldn't call him a brain child.

>	Sorry, "some" is not the key word.  The key word is "none."
> Discussion of Prince does not belong in any group which discusses music.
> Assuming we forget that he drips enough grease to cook a large order of
> fries and that he's ugly enough to frighten even the most downtrodden
> wombat, his "lyrics" are still staring us in the face with their
> inanity.

Sort of like this posting is staring in my face with its inanity.

Hey, if you don't like the guy's music, that's ok, but don't go around calling
his music inane if you don't understand what he is talking about.  Prince's
last two albums had a good deal of social commentary on sex roles and the
end of the world.  Purple Rain says a lot about his life back in Minneapolis
and his family, friends and the people he worked with when he was coming up.
I'll admit, he's not the next John Lennon or Paul McCartney but he does have
something to say.
--
If you wanna ride, don't ride the white horse.

Greg Skinner (gregbo)
{allegra,cbosgd,ihnp4}!houxm!gregbo

rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) (02/16/85)

> 	Sorry, "some" is not the key word.  The key word is "none."
> Discussion of Prince does not belong in any group which discusses music.
> Assuming we forget that he drips enough grease to cook a large order of
> fries and that he's ugly enough to frighten even the most downtrodden
> wombat, his "lyrics" are still staring us in the face with their
> inanity.
>
> 	Go ahead.  Send flames.
>
> Alan Schmidt
> ..tektronix!reed!schmidt

How could anyone flame such a concise, unbiased and obviously well reasoned
posting? (guess what symbol goes here).  I'm glad you showed me the error of
my ways!  I will destroy my Prince album tonight.  Should I soak it in his
grease and then ignite it or should I just have him look at it and have it
crack?  On second thought, I will walk to the bank with him and laugh all
the way at a "critic" such as you.

jtm@syteka.UUCP (Jim McCrae) (02/16/85)

Hey, "I Love You More Than When You Were Mine" is a taseful little
pop throw-away. I guess I just like to here the low strings of a
single coil on full treble going "clank-clank-cla-clank-claaaaang".
"1999" was fun the first time I heard it. And then, then there's,
uh,... a friend of mine kinda likes him, and he plays bass. And
then there's uh lets see....

vanhall.wbst@XEROX.ARPA (02/20/85)

"Hate" Prince? Isn't that like hating kleenex?  Alan, why don't you tell
us what kind of music you're "into" so that we can step on it and make
you cry.

							   Don