[net.micro.cpm] RBBS/ZCPR2

RCONN@Simtel20.ARPA (08/08/84)

From:  Richard Conn <RCONN@Simtel20.ARPA>

Yes, I concur that with programs like SWEEP, security is basically
lost if you can get to them.  ZCPR3 offers a distinct advantage in
this arena in that for secure systems with the DU form disabled, then
the DIR form has to be used.  Each named directory has a password
associated with it.  So if the user types ROOT:SWEEP, then if ROOT has
a non-blank password, the user is FORCED to provide a correct password
before the system will log him in.  If he does not provide the correct
password, the ROOT: reference is changed (internally) to the current
directory.  The same is true for commands like TYPE DIR:PASSFILE.TXT,
since even for references in the argument fields, the password
protection holds under ZCPR3.

	"Dangerous" commands should be placed into a named directory
which is not in the command search path.  If you want even more
security, have the login sequence DISABLE the reference in the named
directory to this "secure" directory, so its NAME is not even
available to the user.  With DU disabled and no NAME, a directory
CANNOT be referenced unless a tool like SWEEP which bypasses the
protection system is used, and hopefully the path protection with the
named directory reference will stop that.

	Rick

RCONN@Simtel20.ARPA (08/08/84)

From:  Richard Conn <RCONN@Simtel20.ARPA>

FYI - this is the message I responded to in my comments about security
under ZCPR3. -- Rick

Date: Wednesday, 8 August 1984  06:30-MDT
From: Jim Forrest <JFORREST at SIMTEL20.ARPA>
To:   KPETERSEN at SIMTEL20.ARPA
cc:   JFORREST at SIMTEL20.ARPA
Re:   RBBS/ZCPR2
ReSent-From: KPETERSEN@SIMTEL20
ReSent-To: RCONN
ReSent-Date: Wed 8 Aug 1984 07:14-MDT

Keith

Found a serious weakness in security

With user areas restricted to 0-9, a user in 0: can type:

11:sweep2<ret>

Then can use sweep to go to any user area as it over-rides bye limits

I have tried protect and password (whatever correct names are) to no
avail.

Possibly I have bye set for cpm 2.2 and not zcpr2 or nzcpr2. I am
using version of zcpr2 set up for security that eliminates some
commands. I was not sure which to use in bye as I had some trouble
when I set on zcpr2 or nzpr2. That may be due to difference in max
user set with genins and max user set in bye.

Jim

JFORREST@SIMTEL20.ARPA (08/10/84)

From:  Jim Forrest <JFORREST@SIMTEL20.ARPA>

I finally got the degree of security I needed by setting BYE NZCPR YES
and USEZCPR NO. This unlikely mixture results in users being able to
use 0: thru 5: to switch user areas, but having to use CD to connect to
user areas 6 thru 9. With BYE set like this, 11:SWEEP results in a ?.
No more. I suppose the reason it will not accept 6: thru 9: is due to
something in the PUTSEC.HEX file so I will need to obtain PUTSEC.ASM
and make a change, if I can find it. I got the HEX file from Steve
Sanders, who now has PRO-COM RBBS/RCPM running extremely well on ZCPR3.

Do you agree on my assumption about PUTSEC.HEX?

Jim
-------

RCONN@simtel20.ARPA (08/16/84)

From:  Richard Conn <RCONN@simtel20.ARPA>

I am really not familiar with the NZCPRs or the PUTSEC program you
mention.  Can't say anything about them.

	Rick