From: cmcl2!seismo!ut-sally!utmbvax!mmr (Mike Rubenstein)
Subject: Re: Request for CP/M and MS-DOS in-depth books

Only book I've found that explains much is Inside CP/M by David E Cortesi
(Holt, Rinehart and Winston).  It's primarily about CP/M-80, but the
file structure for CP/M-86 is the same.

You also should get hold of one of the public domain programs for
looking at the disk by sector.  Best known is DU in both CP/M-80 and
CP/M-86 versions.  Just about any RCPM (CP/M bulletin board) will have
the CP/M-80 version.  Larger ones will have the CP/M-86 version also.

Good luck.  CP/M's pretty simple, but the poor documentation makes it
pretty hard to figure out what's going on.

From: Bob Van Cleef <cmcl2!seismo!decvax!sdcsvax!noscvax!revc@marlin.Nosc.ARPA>

-------
"Inside CP/M" - Jerry Coretese (sp).  The best I've
seen for CP/M 80.

R.E. Van Cleef (REVC)
Computer Sciences Corporation
San Diego, CA

	ihnp4  \			MILNET revc@nosc
	akgua   \
UUCP 	decvax 	 -------------!sdcsvax!noscvax!revc
	dcdwest /
	ucbvax /			CompuServe 71565,533
-------

From: Eric Stork <cmcl2!seismo!hao!hplabs!ucbvax!STORK@MIT-MC.ARPA>
Subject:  Request for CP/M and MS-DOS in-depth books

For CP/M 80 (2.2), you cannot beat Andy Johnson-Laird's
The Program,mer's CP/M Handbook, pub by Osborne/McGraw Hill.

I have read just about every book I coyuld find on CP{/M
and that's the best by far.

Good luck,

Eric

From: cmcl2!ihnp4!alberta!jeff

The Programmer's CP/M Handbook, by Andy Johnson-Laird (Osborne/Mcgraw-Hill)
was reviewed in this month's BYTE, and they say that it was quite good.
If you buy an uninstalled version of CP/M-80 or -86 you should also get lots
of info.  As for MS-DOS, forget it.  They don't believe in giving out info
about it, everything you will get is in the manuals they give you.  If you
have almost no technical information, you could try buying the IBM DOS 2.1
Technical Refrence Manual, but that's about it.  MS-DOS isn't a very good
operating system anyway.
C. J. Sampson			Snail Canada: #712 11135-83rd ave.
ihnp4!     \				Edmonton, Alberta
ubc-vision! |- alberta!jeff		CANADA  T6G 2C8
sask!      /			Phone: (403) 439-6851

From: cmcl2!seismo!decvax!linus!utzoo!aesat!bmw

Take a look at "The Programmer's CP/M Handbook" by Andy Johnson-Laird, published
by Osborne/McGraw-Hill.  I read the review of it in the August '84 Byte (pg 90)
and purchased it last week.  I am a fairly experienced CP/M programmer (I have
done a complete port of CP/M to my home-brew Z80 with hard disk and non-standard
floppies), but this book has helped me a lot by revealing some useful
tricks/gotchas and other info which is missing or poorly documented in the DR
manuals.  It also contains a LOT of source, either in ASM or in BDS/C, for a
complete BIOS as well as a bunch of enhanced utilities.  Almost all meat and no
fat!

Bruce Walker     ..decvax!utzoo!aesat!bmw

[Note:  There was posted on the net a set of corrections for this book.
	I do not have the corrections on-line, however.  Richard Thomsen]

From: lbl-csam!noao!jacoby
Subject: MS-DOS books

I have also been looking for more in-depth books than "type dir
for a disk directory" sort of thing. Not much out there.

I have found one book that is intermediate and well written:

    The IBM PC-DOS Handbook, Richard Allen King, Sybex publication, $17.

Please let me know if you find anything better.

George Jacoby
ihnp4!noao!jacoby

From: cmcl2!rna!rocky2!datagen!boykin

                                 Welcome to SIG/86!!
                         The International MS-DOS Users Group

                SIG/86 is an International MS-DOS Users  Group  dedicated
             to the sharing of knowledge and software among its  members.
             Our  group  is  composed  of  owners  and   users   of   any
             manufacturers'  hardware  which  supports  MS-DOS.   To  our
             members we  offer  a  quarterly  newsletter,  public  domain
             software, discounts on commercially  available  software,  a
             bulletin board, and much much more.

[Note:  This group charges $18/year membership fee.  If you need more
	information, contact Joe Boykin or me.      Richard Thomsen

                                Joseph Boykin, SIG/86
                                 47-4 Sheridan Drive
                                Shrewsbury, MA   01545
			     cmcl2!rna!rocky2!datagen!boykin
	]

	DEC does have technical references for both OSs, though
	their sales people don't seem to know it.  I have ordered
	both and have had considerable trouble getting them.  The
	latest word is that I will have them real soon.  Check with
	me in a while for a review.

	George W. Sherouse