[net.micro.cpm] New MX-SM13A overlay for MEX/Anchor XXII modem

W8SDZ@Simtel20.ARPA (09/09/84)

From:  Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@Simtel20.ARPA>

MX-SM13A.ASM for MEX is now available from SIMTEL20:

	Filename		Type	 Bytes	 CRC

MICRO:<CPM.MEX>
	MX-SM13A.ASM.1		ASCII	  9335  1E83H

The author of this update explains his changes in a message to Ron
Fowler:

Msg 132 is 12 line(s) on 09/08/84 from BOB SANDEL
to RON FOWLER about MODIFIED SM-13 TO STOP HANGUPS

Ron, Although the SM-13 overlay worked quite well for me with MEX10,
I started experiencing a lot of Anchor XII hangups when I implemented
MEX111.  Seems like MEX111 is too fast to allow a proper disconnect of
the Anchor.  I experimented and have U/L MX-SM13A (A for Anchor) which
has added 3 CALLs to DISCON before turning control back to MEX111.
Seems to works a lot better for me---let's see how others do with the
alteration.  I speeded up the DISCON times to 1.2 seconds from 2.0
seconds.  Still having some difficulty recogninzing a Control C when
in the auto-repeat dial mode.  Currently only about 50% effective.
Thx for a powerful modem executive. Bob

W8SDZ@Simtel20.ARPA (09/09/84)

From:  Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@Simtel20.ARPA>

Thanks to Alex for this further fix for the Anchor modem.
--Keith

Date: Sunday, 9 September 1984  09:03-MDT
From: Alexander M. Fraser <T.ALEX%MIT-EECS at MIT-MC.ARPA>
To:   W8SDZ at SIMTEL20.ARPA
cc:   RFowler at SIMTEL20.ARPA
Re:   New MX-SM13A overlay for MEX/Anchor XXII modem

(Please forward this to Bob Sandel to please, since I don't know his
net address if any)

The problem is that there is no pause between the ''+''s.  The
Anchorman has either a bug, or a safeguard that if the +s pass through
at full speed (as they would in an ESC+T type transfer), the modem
ignores them.  I put in a patch to call a delay of 6 in the timer
sequence between the ''+''s and doubled all the other delays in the
disconnect sequence and it works at least 95% of the time.  The way to
solve the ^C problem is that the Anchorman will not abort on (CR), it
needs an A.  I modified it to send (CR), pause, ''A'', pause, ''T'',
pause and then (CR).  Works all the time, except while the Anchorman
is still sending back the numbers (ie still dialing) (the Anchorman
echoes each character back as it is dialed).  Another thing that
should be down with the MEx overlay is to increase the timeout (which
is default 60 seconds).  Since the Anchorman waits 36 seconds before
hanging up and some ALD pauses coul make up the rest to 60, sometimes
it times-out too soon.

STEVEH@mit-mc.ARPA (09/10/84)

From:  "Stephen C. Hill" <STEVEH@mit-mc.ARPA>

I have been having the same problem with my Hayes modem.  I
thought that it may have been an inconsistancy because I am
running a 5MHz Lobo Max-80 (even after changing the CLOCK
variable.  I have been able to get the modem to disconnect if I
use the following command string: "DSC;SLEEP 1;DSC".