[net.micro.cpm] Looking for VI or NROFF clones

CC.Otken@UTEXAS-20.ARPA@sri-unix.UUCP (09/18/84)

From:  John Otken <CC.Otken@UTEXAS-20.ARPA>

Could anyone tell me of clones for the Unix programs VI or NROFF?
I am interested in versions for CP/M-80 and PC/MS-DOS.  John Otken.

P.S.  OK. How about SCRIBE clones?  Yes, I know about scribble.
-------

diamant@cwruecmp.UUCP (John Diamant) (09/23/84)

A CP/M program called NRO was posted to the net a long time ago.  I
believe it is public domain.  It is an nroff clone, written in C (I
think Aztec, but I don't remember).  Does anyone have the sources of
this?  Does anyone remember who wrote it?  I think it may be due for
reposting.

John Diamant				Usenet: ...decvax!cwruecmp!diamant
Case Western Reserve University		CSNet:  diamant@Case
Cleveland, Ohio				ARPA:   diamant.Case@CSNet-Relay

jay@rochester.UUCP (Jay Weber) (09/24/84)

> A CP/M program called NRO was posted to the net a long time ago.  I
> believe it is public domain.  It is an nroff clone, written in C (I
> think Aztec, but I don't remember).  Does anyone have the sources of
> this?  Does anyone remember who wrote it?  I think it may be due for
> reposting.

I have the sources for NRO, the program you mentioned.  The title comments
are:

/*
 *      Word Processor
 *      similar to Unix NROFF or RSX-11M RNO -
 *      adaptation of text processor given in
 *      "Software Tools", Kernighan and Plauger.
 *
 *      Stephen L. Browning
 *      5723 North Parker Avenue
 *      Indianapolis, Indiana 46220
 */

It's pretty nice, especially if you like nroff.  I have made a few
changes/additions to make nro look even more like it.  I will send
it along to INFO-IBMPC, so look there in a little while . . .

Jay Weber
..!seismo!rochester!jay
jay@rochester.arpa

landy@csd1.UUCP (09/24/84)

John Diamant's suggestion about NRO is misplaced, alas. NRO is not an
nroff clone but a roff clone, and is much less complicated (and useful)
than nroff. It is available on many public-access BBS systems.

cem@intelca.UUCP (Chuck McManis) (09/25/84)

There is also SIG/M Vol 126, which has on it ROFF a P.D. formatter that
is somewhat like ROFF but with some enhancements. See the August or Sept
microsystems for a good description of its capabilities.

				--Chuck

--
-- Chuck                                    - - - D I S C L A I M E R - - -
{ihnp4,fortune}!dual\                     All opinions expressed herein are my