[net.micro.cpm] TELEX Codes

STORK@Mit-Mc.ARPA (09/24/84)

From:  Eric Stork <STORK@Mit-Mc.ARPA>

I'm planning to try MCI's TELEX  link to communicate with
clients.  But I need to know about TELEEX codes (Baudot ??).
Anyone have a pointer to those codes?  Sure would appreciate
knowing of a file on SIMETL20, or elsewhere, that can explain
what is available for TELEX.

Thanks,

Eric
STORK%MIT-MC

RG.JMTURN%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA (09/25/84)

Why not just use MCI Mail. You can send a receive TELEX (and TWX)
messages through your modem, and you don't have the awful monthly
bill from Western Onion (or MCI's straight Telex charges).

						James

CSTROM@simtel20.ARPA (09/25/84)

You are probably slightly out of date with reference to monthly
charges on Western Union Telex. Their Easy-Link service has no monthly
charges whatsoever and is much more flexible both in terms of types of
messages and structure of the system than is MCI Mail. There is no
application fee and they supply two thick volumes of Telex numbers.

RG.JMTURN%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA (09/27/84)

    You are probably slightly out of date with reference to monthly
    charges on Western Union Telex. Their Easy-Link service has no monthly
    charges whatsoever and is much more flexible both in terms of types of
    messages and structure of the system than is MCI Mail. There is no
    application fee and they supply two thick volumes of Telex numbers.

MCI Mail has no application fee, or a montly fee, or even a fee to read
mail. The only charges are for sending mail out.

I suppose the directory would be useful, but they can be bought. Easylink
(and I've done *lots* of work with it) is quite user-hostile as far as
protocol and such. I prefer MCI Mail.

							James

wcwells%ucbopal.CC@Ucb-Vax.ARPA (10/07/84)

From:  William C. Wells <wcwells%ucbopal.CC@Ucb-Vax.ARPA>

The "baudot code" (international telegraph code 2?) is a 5 bit-code.
The "ASCII" (USASCII) code is a 8-bit code.
Here is a table of equivalents:

Subject: octal/baudot table

DECIMAL	OCTAL	ASCII	CON-	BAUDOT	BAUDOT
			TROL	LTRS	FIGS

  1	000	nul	^@	blank	blank
  2	001	soh	^A	 E	 3
  3	002	stx	^B	lf	lf
  4	003	etx	^C	 A	 -
  5	004	eot	^D	sp	sp
  6	005	enq	^E	 S	bel
  7	006	ack	^F	 I	 8
  8	007	bel	^G	 U	 7
  9	010	bs 	^H	cr	cr
 10	011	ht 	^I	 D	 $
 11	012	lf/nl 	^J	 R	 4
 12	013	vt 	^K	 J	 '
 13	014	ff/np 	^L	 N	 ,
 14	015	cr 	^M	 F	 !
 15	016	so 	^N	 C	 :
 16	017	si 	^O	 K	 (
 17	020	dle	^P	 T	 5
 18	021	dc1	^Q	 Z	 "
 19	022	dc2	^R	 L	 )
 20	023	dc3	^S	 W	 2
 21	024	dc4	^T	 H	 #
 22	025	nak	^U	 Y	 6
 23	026	syn	^V	 P	 0
 24	027	etb	^W	 Q	 1
 25	030	can	^X	 O	 9
 26	031	em 	^Y	 B	 ?
 27	032	sub	^Z	 G	 &
 28	033	esc	^[	figs	figs
 29	034	fs 	^\	 M	 .
 30	035	gs 	^]	 X	 /
 31	036	rs 	^^	 V	 ;
 32	037	us 	^_	ltrs	ltrs
 33	040	sp
 34	041	 !
 35	042	 "
 36	043	 #
 37	044	 $
 38	045	 %
 39	046	 &
 40	047	 '
 41	050	 (
 42	051	 )
 43	052	 *
 44	053	 +
 45	054	 ,
 46	055	 -
 47	056	 .
 48	057	 /
 49	060	 0
 50	061	 1
 51	062	 2
 52	063	 3
 53	064	 4
 54	065	 5
 55	066	 6
 56	067	 7
 57	070	 8
 58	071	 9
 59	072	 :
 60	073	 ;
 61	074	 <
 62	075	 =
 63	076	 >
 64	077	 ?
 65	100	 @
 66	101	 A
 67	102	 B
 68	103	 C
 69	104	 D
 70	105	 E
 71	106	 F
 72	107	 G
 73	110	 H
 74	111	 I
 75	112	 J
 76	113	 K
 77	114	 L
 78	115	 M
 79	116	 N
 80	117	 O
 81	120	 P
 82	121	 Q
 83	122	 R
 84	123	 S
 85	124	 T
 86	125	 U
 87	126	 V
 88	127	 W
 89	130	 X
 90	131	 Y
 91	132	 Z
 92	133	 [
 93	134	 \
 94	135	 ]
 95	136	 ^
 96	137	 _
 97	140	 `
 98	141	 a
 99	142	 b
100	143	 c
101	144	 d
102	145	 e
103	146	 f
104	147	 g
105	150	 h
106	151	 i
107	152	 j
108	153	 k
109	154	 l
110	155	 m
111	156	 n
112	157	 o
113	160	 p
114	161	 q
115	162	 r
116	163	 s
117	164	 t
118	165	 u
119	166	 v
120	167	 w
121	170	 x
122	171	 y
123	172	 z
124	173	 {
125	174	 |
126	175	 }
127	176	 ~
128	177	del

ken@rochester.UUCP (Ken Yap) (10/08/84)

<<<yum-yum>>>

Also note that combination 0 in International Alphabet 2 is lablelled
as blank but has nothing to do with the space character. It is probably
used as a filler like ASCII null.

	Ken Yap (..!{seismo,allegra}!rochester!ken)
--
	Ken (..!rochester!ken)