[net.micro.cpm] none

STORK@mit-mc.arpa (04/15/83)

From:  Eric Stork <STORK@mit-mc.arpa>

SUBJECT: ASHTON-TATE 'DRAGON'
Received flyer from DISCOUNT SOFTWARE that (1) sends questionnaire
about micro use; (2) asks help on 'research project' on
advance copy of Ashton Tate relational data base
'for novices' called 'DRAGON'; asks for check for $20 and
completed questionnaire for the DRAGON program.
Anyone know anything about this?  Are they on the up-and-up?  Or
is this a neat new scam, along the old lines of the classified
ad in the personal's section that says 'Last chance to send your
dollar to P.O.Box 1234....'?
Eric

POURNE@mit-mc.arpa (04/22/83)

From:  Jerry E. Pournelle <POURNE@mit-mc.arpa>

i never heard of any of this; dragon? may be real but no one has
told me, and usually I get The Word....

MJW@mit-mc.arpa (04/23/83)

From:  Marc J. Widennley <MJW@mit-mc.arpa>

Please reinstate my name in the list.
		Thank you,
			Marc

Bomberger@ames-tss.arpa (05/07/83)

I was looking around and found the FLOAT package for BDS C.  Everything seems to
be there except the FP function.  Is this purposely not available in source?
I have no way of moving binary files to my home computer from MIT.  Let us not
get into the IBM world and the one single 8 bit value that is not transmitted
over ASCII lines.  Not to address either the issue of binary transfer via FTP
between IBM 32 bit machines and the incomprehensible MIT system.  Is there
source for this machine coded routine?
------

SJOBRG@mit-oz (05/09/83)

Does anyone on the INFO-CPM mailing list happen to use a Sony SMC-70?
I have one (not a bad machine, really, and very good color graphics)
and would appreciate hearing from others on the success of transporting
CP/M software.
--Bob Sjobrg (SJOBRG@MIT-MC)

MEAD@usc-eclb.am (05/09/83)

From:  Dick <MEAD@usc-eclb.am

***Error on net connection***
{

STORK@mit-mc.arpa@sri-unix.UUCP (05/23/83)

From:  Eric Stork <STORK@mit-mc.arpa>

Subject: dBase II / KAYPRO II Problem

A local friend needs help in getting dBase II to run
right on his KAYPRO II.

The problem:  When appending (or editing) a record,
the cursor is two positions to the left of where it should
be.  The inserting/editing of data takes place where it
should, but the operator cannot easily tell what he is doing.

Installation is according to instructions (KAYPRO II simulates
ADM-3A Terminal).  All other functions seem OK.  Experimentation
with installation protocol has not solved problem.

If someone has solved this problem, will appreciate a note
with advice that I can pass on.

Please send response direct to:  STORK%MIT-MC

jlg@lanl-a.UUCP (05/28/83)

I wish people wouldn't post without a subject.

ARPEE%mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (06/04/83)

From:  R. P. Miller <ARPEE@mit-mc>

I am in need of information regarding UCSD Pascal users who have successfully
married it with a Semidisk system.  Anyone who has done so, please leave a
message detailing how you accomplished the task and what pitfalls have cropped
up in doing so.  I am running NorthStar UCSD Pascal in the N* Horizon computer
with two single sided, double density 5.25" drives.  In volume 5, number 18
(May 9, 1983) of Infoworld, there was an advertisement on page 47 by SemiDisk.
In it, they announce a new 256K semidisk for $995 and also reduce the price
for the 512K semidisk to $1495.  This RAM would be perfect for the emulation of
a disk under the P-system on my Horizon.  Unfortunately, Semidisk only supports
CP/M operation (not Pascal).  HELP!!!

				Thanks in advance,  Ray Miller...

PLEHN%mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (06/09/83)

From:  Allan D. Plehn <PLEHN@mit-mc>

Some time ago you asked about a typing tutor program.  If you haven't
found one yet take a look at TYPTUTOR.  It is sold at HEATH stores
and really neat.  You do need an H19, Z19 or Z89 however, since the
program makes extensive use of the Heath graphic character set.

Even if you don't need it or can't use it on your terminal, its
worth a look anyway- just for the clever use of graphic characters.

There are thirty or so lessons plus a demo.  In the lessons, characters
are typed by the program near the top of the screen.  You try to type
them and what you type shows up lower on the screen, with errors in
inverse video.

The most impressive part is the demo program.  It draws a very good
representation of the keyboard on the lower two-thirds of the screen.
Letters of the alphabet are typed by the program, near the top of the
screen and, IN CADENCE, the corresponding keys on the keyboard
picture are highlighted.

In the lessons, when a new set of letters are introduced, the
keyboard picture is drawn with superimposed hands, showing which
fingers are to be used for each letter of the set.

Its definitely worth a look.

			Al Plehn

HUNEYCUTT%gunter-adam@sri-unix.UUCP (06/15/83)

From:  Doug <HUNEYCUTT@gunter-adam>

-------

PLK%mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (06/21/83)

From:  Paul L. Kelley <PLK@mit-mc>

The following is CPM;MODEM 902FIX on MIT-MC:

				MODEM902.FIX

		This is a fix to the file 8251SYS.ASM.

	In correcting the ROBIN interrupt routine I neglected to
make the necessary adjustment to the storage of the BIOS interrupt
by the initiation routine. The relevant section of code follows:

;
	IF	ROBIN
	LDA	INITFRST
	ORA	A
	RZ			;return if this routine has been used before
	XRA	A
	STA	INITFRST	;set flag to zero to tell program not to come
				;here again
	STA	SAVCCP		;force warm boot so first page is repatched
	LHLD	011H		;contains location in BIOS of interrupt handler

				;**** THE NEXT LINE HAS BEEN FIXED ****
	SHLD	BINTERUP+2	;put it at end of this program's routine

	LXI	H,MINTERUP	;location of this program's interrupt routine
	DI			;be careful
	SHLD	011H		;store it at interrupt location
	EI
	RET
;
INITFRST:
	DB	TRUE	;first time through routine flag
	ENDIF	;ROBIN
;

						P. L. Kelley

LIN%mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (06/23/83)

From:  Herb Lin <LIN@mit-mc>

anyone out there care to give advice on:

1. how best to detect a flaky (intermittently so) memory board?

2. how you know when you need a static discharge mat..

thanks.  herb lin (lin@mit-mc)

STORK%mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (07/06/83)

From:  Eric Stork <STORK@mit-mc>

Subject: Optronics Disk Control Unit
,
Optronics Technology, Box 81, Pittsford NY 14534, offers a card
for installation in disk drives that will turn off the
AC to the motors if there is no read/write for 9 seconds.
,
Seems like a good idea to save wear of drive bearings & disks,
and reduce noise.  Cost: $49.95.
,
But questions:  Has anyone actually tried this approach?
Are there hidden Gotcha's?
Can one damage drives with frequent on/offs?
,
Would appreciate any advice, pro or con,
that anyone may have.  Will summarize for net if response warrants.
Please send direct to STORK%MIT-MC
,
Eric Stork

STORK%mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (07/08/83)

From:  Eric Stork <STORK@mit-mc>

Subject: ZCPR2 Implementation for KAYPRO II

File CPM;AR84:ZCP-KP LQR contains all the files needed
to install ZCPR2 on the KAYPRO II.

This file was originally put together to help some people
who have KAYPRO IIs, but who are too new to CP/M
hacking to be prepared to tackle the task of installing
ZCPR2 from scratch.

The version of ZCPR2 provided includes MULTIPLE COMMAND
BUFFER, but does NOT include NAMED DIRECTORIES or WHEEL
functions (which make little sense on so small a
system as KAYPRO II).  Also, I/O redirection is not
included.

The content of ZCP-KP LQR are a detailed
DOC file that is intented to be used by
a complete CP/M novice, and two HEX files
to overlay the KAYPRO II owner's own CP/M.
I originally put this material together to put ZCPR2
on my son's KAYPRO, and am making it more widely available
with R.Conn's approval.

To use:
          1.  Download
          2.  Unsqueeze (using USQ.COM)
          3.  Extract all files (using LU.COM)
          4.  Read the DOC file and follow instructions.

W8SDZ%mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (07/18/83)

From:  Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@mit-mc>

The following is forwarded for informational purposes only.
Neither the author nor I have any connection with PMMI.
Replies to the author, please, not me.
--Keith

--forwarded file: PMMI212.DOC--

            The PMMI MM-212, The 300/1200 S-100 Modem
		A preview by Mark Pulver  -  AIMS
                (312) 789-0499  -  24hrs  -  PMMI

                            07-14-83

     Well, starting at the end of August, PMMI will start to ship
their new S-100 modem that a lot of us have been waiting for. As
taken from PMMI's brochure, here is some of what we can expect.

     o    Baud Rates are 45.5-300 and 1200 baud
     o    1200 baud is Async or Bisync
     o    A very full featured control ROM, resulting in a very
          intellegent modem
     o    Modem is controlled through single ASCII characters
               D  -  Dialing string follows, 32 characters max.
               B  -  Blind dial, ( 5 second pause )
               T  -  Touch tone the following numbers
               P  -  Pulse dial the following numbers
               K  -  Wait for another dial tone
               R  -  Redial last number entered
               M  -  Display dialer memory, with command codes
               H  -  Originate calls in 212 mode
               L  -  Originate calls in 103 mode
               O  -  Force modem into originate mode
               A  -  Force modem into answer mode
               Q  -  Hang up phone
               SR    -  Software reset defaults
               Cxxxx -  Change options table

     o    Modem will dial all 16 touch tones
               0-9, *, #, and A-D

     o    Modem reports progress by single ASCII characters
               D  -  Dial tone detected
               R  -  Remote end ringing
               B  -  Remote end busy, (terminates call)
               V  -  Voice detection! (terminates call)
               F  -  Failed call
               T  -  Time out
               I  -  Invald command
               M  -  Dialer memory overflow
               N  -  No dial tone
               E  -  Exiting command mode, starting comm mode
               L  -  103 carrier detect
               H  -  212 carrier detect

                 Ring detect also by DSR status

     o    Options list, All modifiable, * indicates default
              *A  -  Set asynchronous mode
               B  -  Set bisynchronous mode
               D  -  Answer only 212 modems
              *E  -  Answer 212 or 103 modems
              F-I -  Set character length of 8-11 bits
                       H, 10 bits, is the defualt
              *J  -  Enable loss of carrier disconnect
               K  -  Disable loss of carriewr disconnect
              *L  -  Enable receive space disconnect
               M  -  Disable receive space disconnect
               N  -  Enable send space disconnect
              *O  -  Disable send space disconnect
              *P  -  Enable timeout disconnect on answer
               Q  -  Disable timeout disconnect on answer
              *R  -  Enable respond to remote test
               S  -  Disable respond to remote test
               T  -  Enable analog loopback busy out of line
              *U  -  Disable analog loopback busy out of line
               V  -  Enable command mode echo
              *W  -  Disable command mode echo
              *X  -  Enable call progress detection
               Y  -  Disable call progress detection
               Z  -  Fail call timer = no time out
                   *a  -  30 seconds
                    b  -  60 seconds
             c-k  -  Retry call 1-9 times respectively
              *l  -  No call retry
              *m  -  Enable voice detection
               n  -  Disable voice detection
              o/p - Enable/Disable data available interrupt
              q/r - Enable/Disable transmitter empty int.
              s/t - Enable/Disable ring detect interrupt

               All interrupts default to disabled

     o    As the MM-103, the modem requires 4 contiguous ports
     o    Deliveries are due to start late August
     o    Orders are being taken now

     From a reference in the brochure, as well as being able to
read the name off of the chip in the cover photo, it looks as
though Racal-Vadic had a bit to do with the developement of the
MM-212, nothing wrong with that. I only wish that they had
somehow been able to keep the programability of the MM-103.

     I myself plan to try the approach of leaving both modems in
the system, and online. The MM-212 will do all of the answering,
if a Bell 103 carrier is detected,( modem sends an "L" ), then I
plan to switch over to the MM-103, and go through the normal baud
checking that most of us are used to. Otherwise, the MM-212 will
handle the call entirely. Now, my first impression of that crazed
thought is that there will be a lot of code laying around, but
seeing how the 212 seems to be dream to control versus the Hayes
300/1200, I'll sacrifice a few nights and weekends of work, and
trade 1/2K or so of code to do it! The flexibility will be
enormous for us S-100 users...

     I hope this has shed some light on what PMMI is doing these
days. By the way, the suggested retail is $695.95, not bad
considering what it would cost those of us without an open serial
port to add a quad board plus an external modem. And you still
might not be able to get all of the features.

--end--

LIN%mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (08/01/83)

From:  Herb Lin <LIN@mit-mc>

can someone give me a cookbook of steps to follow to transfer
CPM; files from MC to my CP/M machine from ITS through a TAC?  include
multiple file transfer pls...

tnx.  will post to the net..

LIN@mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (08/13/83)

From:  Herb Lin <LIN@mit-mc>

any dBase II wizards out there?  i have a highly technical (I think) question.

tnx..

rpk%tucc@BRL-BMD.ARPA@sri-unix.UUCP (08/14/83)

----- Mail saved at Sun Aug  7 21:39:09 1983
To: brl-bmd
Subject: remove me from info-cpm list

Please remove my mane from the info-cpm mailing list.
Thank you,
Dick Kelley (...!ucbvax!decvax!duke!tucc!rpk)

LIN@mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (08/19/83)

From:  Herb Lin <LIN@mit-mc>

anyone know of a program on ITS that will create a SQueezed file on ITS
which can then be USQ'ed on a CP/M system?

tnx..

fenchel@uwisc@sri-unix.UUCP (08/27/83)

From:  Bob Fenchel <fenchel@uwisc>

Please change my  mailing address to Fenchel@UWisc

(it was previously Fenchel@ISIF)

Thanks...

cc.fdc@COLUMBIA-20.ARPA@sri-unix.UUCP (08/30/83)

From:  Frank da Cruz <cc.fdc@COLUMBIA-20.ARPA>

We haven't done thorough studies, but we find that in a micro-to-mainframe
setting, in which KERMIT is usually used, the efficiency varies between 50 to
80 percent (user bits/baud rate).  I don't know about CIS protocol A (what is
it?), but KERMIT has somewhat shorter blocks than MODEM and does various kinds
of quoting and prefixing of special characters to accommodate mainframes that
can't take in binary (8-bit) data or even certain ASCII control characters.
The actual amount of overhead varies with the capabilities of the two hosts
(the two KERMITs will configure themselves to each other) and the speed of the
slower host (timesharing systems can get very slow...).  - Frank
-------

BYTE@mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (09/01/83)

From:  Roger L. Long <BYTE@mit-mc>

I know that recent messages have said there isn't any documentation
on UMODEM, but before I go and write some, I'd like to make sure.
Has anyone already written a `man' entry for UMODEM?  (for those
who aren't aware, UMODEM is a program that allows file transfers
between UNIX and CP/M systems).

	Thanks...

	  -roger

rconn@brl@sri-unix.UUCP (09/01/83)

From:      Rick Conn <rconn@brl>

I'm not aware of a man entry for UMODEM.  Lauren Weinstein (the original
author) or Keith Petersen are good sources who may know of one.

	Rick

MJW@mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (09/05/83)

From:  Marc J. Widennley <MJW@mit-mc>

Frank, can you give me some speed specs on Kermit?  I am curious,
going from one micro to another (not counting time spend in disk access)
what would be the throughput?  (I.E. how many chars/sec assuming that
both sides were running at 300 baud).  The reason I ask this is
that some protocols are very inefficient.  My studies have revealed that
CIS protocol A gives about 24 cps, and Christensen gives you about 28 cps.)
			Thanks,
				Marc

KFL@mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (09/21/83)

From:  Keith F. Lynch <KFL@mit-mc>

  We are thinking of getting a Molecular system as an office automation
system.  Does anyone know anything about it?  Please reply to me, as I am
not on info-micro or info-cpm.  Thank you.
								...Keith

jlapsley%D.CC%berkeley@sri-unix.UUCP (10/24/83)

This message is empty.

LIN%mit-ml@sri-unix.UUCP (10/25/83)

From:  Herb Lin <LIN@mit-ml>

    From: jlapsley%D.CC at berkeley

       The BIOS for the Compupro 8/16 system you described sounds like some-
    thing which I "hear" (by a friend) Gifford & Gifford computers in
    San Leandro has.  Compupro's standard 816 bios will differentiate between
    8080 and 8086 software, and allows a larger TPA because all the disk calls
    are handled under th 8088.  However, the standard Godbout BIOS does not
    include typeahead, interrupt driven I/O, or disk cache-ing.

If you are talking about the G&G MP/M 8-16, it does include disk
cache-ing, but it's not user-controllable - it allocates some part of
itself for a disk buffer.

STORK%mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (11/07/83)

From:  Eric Stork <STORK@mit-mc>

Subject: Need Advice on Using CP/M Function 13

Of course, when changing disks one should always
do a ^C.  But sometimes I forget, and then if
I use my editor I get a R/O message when I try
to save the file (and of course lose my work).

As an experiment, I patched a CALL to CP/M Function 13
(Disk Reset) into the initialization routine for
the editor.  Only five bytes are added by that, and
it seems to work like a charm.

But that is so obvious a solution that I cannot
imagine that the authors of editors had not thought
of it.  Perhaps the did NOT include that for that may come nd bite me.

So my question: What, if anything, is wrong with
this approach?  Where are the gotchas?

Thanks,

Eric

towson%amsaa@sri-unix.UUCP (11/17/83)

From:      David Towson (CSD) <towson@amsaa>

Herb - ALL files in both the SIGM and CPMUG archives are stored in ITS binary
format.  Just move 'em as though they were COM files, and all will be fine.

Dave

STRAZ%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA (11/20/83)

I'm about to get a Kaypro on long term loan. It will probably come with
word processing, spreadsheet, and modem software, but I'm looking for
more stuff, namely, does anyone know where I can get (or at least recommend
a version of)

a C compiler
any flavor of Lisp
Logo
games
a 1200 baud modem (I have a 300 by DC Hayes)

Thanks in advance,
Steve Strassmann

PLOUFF%mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (12/30/83)

From:  Robert L. Plouffe <PLOUFF@mit-mc>

Regarding release of mdm716 per Keith's message, and for
those at MIT-MC who can't ftp from SIMTEL20.  please be
advised that the squeezed source file is also at MC in
MC:FJW;MDM716 AQM

STORK%mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (01/06/84)

From:  Eric Stork <STORK@mit-mc>

Subject: dBASE2 question

Can someone tell me how to set up DBASE2.COM so that it can be permanently
on Disk C:, and will find its overlay files on C: even if it is
invoked from A: or B:?

In WordStar there is a location to set for where to look for
overlay files.  Logically, there should be such a location in dBASE, too.
Advice will be appreciated.

Eric.

STORK%mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (01/08/84)

Date: 7 Jan 1984 1745 PST

Two suggestions were received, and are shared herewith:
From: Bruce L. Conroy <BLC%JPL-VAX>
Subject: dBase Overlay file locations
To  set  the  drive where dBase looks for its overlay
and  message  files, there are two locations to patch
In version 2.03 there are two prototype
file control blocks, which look like:
42cc    00 44 42 41 53 45 4d 53 47 43 4f 4d   .DBASEMSGCOM
42ed    00 44 42 41 53 45 20 20 20 4f 56 52   .DBASE   OVR
Changing 42cc and 42ed to 03 causes dBase to look for the files on
drive C. I have looked at later versions of dBase,
and while the actual locations have  been changed,
all versions seem to have two of them,  between 4200
and 4300, and the ASCII file names make them jump out on a DDT display.
------
^_
Another solution:

Date:     Sat, 7 Jan 84 8:27:43 EST
From:    Rick Conn <rconn%brl>
I got around it under ZCPR2 by creating a script command like the
following:      A:;dbase setup;B:
        In this way, I have all my work on B: and dbase.com and its
overlays on A:.  The command processor goes to A:, runs dbase, and the
setup.prg file sets default to B:, so any files I reference come from B:.
When done, the trailing B: puts me back into B:.
                Rick

STORK%mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (01/13/84)

From:  Eric Stork <STORK@mit-mc>

Subject: Need MODEM7xx for EAGLE

A friend of mine has an EAGLE z-80, cp/m 2.2, 5" drive.
He needs MODEM7xx, prferably set up for SModem (Hayes).
If you can help, pls respond direct to me and i'll get you
together with him.  Or, if you're in
LAX areea, give him a call direct.  His name:
Ernie Rosenberg, home:(213)501-0756 (yes, really 501-)
office:(213)486-6098.
Ernie and I want to communicate
by modem, but until he has  MODEM7xx, we can't begin and I can't
help him because I'm 8" CP/M.
Thanks for any help,

Eric.

STORK%mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (01/13/84)

From:  Eric Stork <STORK@mit-mc>

Subject: Correction re EAGLE MODEM7xx need.

The guy who needs the MODEM7xx for the CP/M Eagle, Ernie R,
is at (213)501-0736, NOT 0756 as I said before.
Sorry

Eric

STORK%mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (01/14/84)

From:  Eric Stork <STORK@mit-mc>

SUBJECT: RESETT for dBASEII; Function #37 of BDOS

A few days ago, I submitted to the net a trick for POKEing an ass'y
routine from dBASEII and a specific illustration that I had
successfully used to solve a problem for a friend's accounting
system.  The illustration POKEd a routine utilizing BDOS Function #37
(reset an individual disk) and then CALLed that routine with a RETurn
to the dBASE .CMD file.

Jerry Pournelle has vigorously warned against using BDOS function #37.
His warnings are reproduced below. For me, it worked. But Jerry may be right.

Two more points:
       1.  At the end of Jerry's warning notes, a note from
           Bruce Conroy suggesting an alternate way of
           resetting dBASEII disks.  I have not tried, but
           will next time I need this function.

       2.  If someone from DRI reads this and can shed more light on
           the validity of the concerns that Pournelle has about
           BDOS Function 37, I for one would be eager to know
           what he/she has to say.

Eric

Date: 14 January 1984 04:35 EST
From: Jerry E. Pournelle
Subject:  Use of dBase RESET function.

I warn you: use of DR CP/M Function 37 "reset disk" can be
hazardous to your disk directory.  The exact sequences that can
trigger the bug are not known; but it exists, it's real, it
jumps out and bites you, and you cannot know that it won't since
we don't know how it does it.

You are warned.

Date: 11 January 1984 06:07 EST
From: Jerry E. Pournelle
Subject:  *** SOMEWHAT IMPORTANT on dBase2 **

Your RESETT fix for Dbase 2 uses CP/M function 37 Reset Disk.

DO NOT USE THAT FUNCTION.

Function 37 has a serous bug, undocumented, that can cause CP/M
to write over the directories OF ALL DISKS it can get at,
including the A: disk, hard disks, memory drive disks, etc.  We
do not know precisely what triggers the bug; it takes a
reasonably complex pattern of disk changes and resets; but it
DOES THE JOB.  I know of three casees in which 10 megaByte hard
disks had to have their files reconstructed sector by sector
because they were bitten by CP/M FUNCTION 37.
	You must use RESET SYSTEM even though that logs you on
to the A: drive (and takes longer).  I repeat, DO NOT USE
FUNCTION 37.  You will regret it if you do.

J E Pournelle

Date: 12 Jan 1984 1555 PST
From: Bruce L. Conroy

     Although  there are some funny effects in dBase's RESET
command I have found it to be 100% reliable under several
versions of dBase if:

     a)   Any files on the disk to be changed are closed
(this is merely good practice in any event,)

     b)   The disk is changed, then

     c)   The command RESET (not RESET B) is given.

     In particular, this sequence avoids the following
anomolies:

     a)   RESET B or RESET B: or any similar command seems
to have no effect whatever.

     b)   As long as a data file is open, there is an
unpredicable amount of data in memory, which is not on disk.
If the disk is changed at this point these data are lost,
unless

     c)   There is a file of the same name on the new disk,
in which case, the extra data are stuffed into that file,
resulting in the loss of the integrity of both data files.

STORK%mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (01/21/84)

From:  Eric Stork <STORK@mit-mc>

Subject:  BDOS Function 37

Since I started this discussion, I felt an obligation to try
to get to the bottom of the issue.  So I spent much of a day reading
and experimenting.  I think I now understand what Function 37
does and does not do.

Frank Wancho pointed out that Function 37 is misnamed.  It should
be called RESET WRITE PROTECT VECTOR, he said.  That is NOT the
same as RESET DRIVE, he emphasized.  He went on to suggest the
use of Function 13 as a correct and safe sequence, with associated
use of functions 25 and 14 to get back to the disk one started on.

Function 13 is OK if one can close ALL files.  But when one wants
to continue to work out of a file on Drive A:, one cannot really
reset ALL drives. That's necessary wehn one wants to change disks
in a drive that holds data for a program.  So Function 37 has a
legitimate use and seems OK if one is careful.

Others suggested that the trick is to close ALL files on the drive
to be reset before using Function 37.  Failing to do that can result
in overwriting files or directories.  But it seems that when all file
on the drive to be reset are closed, Function 37 can be safely used.

The most interesting thing that I demonstrated in my experiments is
that Function 37 does NOT reset the diskmap for the drive to be reset,
but that the diskmap for that drive is reset by the first file I/O
operation following function 37.  I do not have a hard disk, which
Jerry Pournelle and Frank Wancho said could easily be trashed by
Function 37, but maybe someone who does have a hard disk can try
the experiment (without writing to the hard disk, just checking
out the disk map) and let us know how it goes.  It should go OK,
from what I could figure out, but I can't be sure.

Eric.

For those who might want to repeat or expand my experiment, there
follows a short ASM file:

********************
* This is a test program
* to analyze the results of BDOS Function #37
*
* Assemble the program into a COM file, and put that on Drive A:.
* Put a disk with files on drive B:, and log it in with ^C.
* Then run this program (I call it TEST.COM) and when asked to do so,
*  put a different disk on Drive B:
*
* The bitmap (as bytes) starts a 0300h for the first disk, and at
*  0330h for the second disk.  I use Ward C.'s Q.COM to look at it,
*  invoking it as    Q @300    , and stopping the display with ^S
*  or with ^C, so that I can compare the bytes.

bufbyts	equ	31	;this value is the number of GROUPS/8
			; on your disks.  The bitmap copnsists of
			; one bit for each group.  My system has
			; 243 groups. 243/8=30.375, or 31 when
			; we round up.  Change this value for your
			; system.  If you have more than 384 groups,
			; you must increase the size of BUF1: and BUF2:
			; to hold them.

	ORG	100H
	MVI	c,14	;select logical disk
	MVI	e,1	;select disk B:
	CALL	5
	MVI	c,27	;get address of disk alloc vector
	call	5	;returns with [HL] pointing to first of a
			; block that holds the disk map

	LXI	D,BUF1	;
	MVI	c,bufbyts	;use [C] as counter
LOOP1:
	MOV	A,M	;get byte of data into [A]
	STAX	D	;and store it in BUF1
	INX	H
	INX	D	;bump the pointers
	DCR	C	;reduce the counter
	JNZ	LOOP1	;loop until done

	LXI	d,message
	MVI	c,9
	CALL	5
xx:	mvi	c,11
	CALL	5
	ORA	A	;0 if no char, FF if character typed
	JZ	XX

	MVI	c,37	;now do the individual disk reset function
	LXI	d,0000$0000$0000$0010B ;drive b:
	call	5

* ********** This is the key.  The first disk operation seems to
* read the diskmap.  Try running the program with the next three
* lines commented out -- you'll see that the two disk maps are
* the same, so function 37 alone does not reset the disk map.
	LXI	D,FCB
	mvi	c,15	;open file (find file, or erase file work also)
	call	5

	MVI	c,27	;get address of disk alloc vector
	call	5	;returns with [HL] pointing to first of 'n'-byte
			; block with bitmap (31 for my system)

	LXI	D,BUF2	;
	MVI	c,bufbyts	;use [C] as counter
LOOP2:
	MOV	A,M	;get byte of data into [A]
	STAX	D	;and store it in BUF2
	INX	H
	INX	D	;bump the pointers
	DCR	C	;reduce the counter
	JNZ	LOOP2	;loop until done
	JMP	0000h	;and quit

message:
	DB	'Switch disk in B:, then type any key to continue ','$'

FCB:
	db	1	;drive b:
	db	'JUNK       '
	db	0,0,0,0	;extent, reserved, & records
	db	0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0

	ORG 300h
BUF1:
	DB	0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0	;plenty of extra space
	DB	0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
	DB	0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0

BUF2:
	DB	0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
	DB	0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
	DB	0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0

END

POURNE%mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (01/27/84)

From:  Jerry E. Pournelle <POURNE@mit-mc>

let me know the results of your experiment.  Systems interface
just lost another hard disk to #37 this week; directory is dead.
I do not know if they closed all files and such as you suggest.
incidentally, there is zero warning on that in any document I
have read.
	we now avoid 37 as not worth the risk. perhaps you will
have different results.  I'd be interested in hearing.

erh%virginia%csnet-relay@sri-unix.UUCP (02/09/84)

1
	I have recently obtained MDM716 and I am gratified with its
performance.  I submit the following suggestions in hope of making the
excellent thing better:

1. The overlay method of customizing the program is still too specific.
Ideally, there should be two clearly defined overlays:
	-- an outer one containing all procedures for a given modem
	or modem setup.  There would be one overlay for PMMI, another for
	Hayes, etc.  This overlay should contain well isolated procedures
	to hang up the modem, send a break, etc.  The way it is now, a
	Hayes user has to wade through all the PMMI stuff to find the
	relevant code (not mentioning the fact that the code for the
	other modems just sits there and uses the precious K's).  To wit:
	Hayes can be told to hang up by dropping DTR, which is infinitely
	faster than sending the #$%! pluses, but the DISCONNECT stuff is
	buried too well for me to bother. That outer overlay should contain
	procedures to do all kinds of exotic things, such as change the baud
	rates, etc.  Use flags to indicate which procedures are valid.
	-- an inner one dealing with the i/o hardware: sending and
	receiving characters from the modem.  And please, have somewhat
	more general procedures.  The functions to mask a status byte are
	cute, but too primitive.  The guys using interrupts and BIOS
	bufferring of incoming characters would prefer to use a system
	or BIOS call to get/test for input characters.

2. The dialing procedures could be somewhat smarter.  Use some way of
separating the decription from the phone number.  The way it is now,
all digits get dialed out, including things like "Gandalf1, 1200bps...".
I also agree with a recent remark about necessity of controlling the
pulse/tone dialing mode.

~v~ Ed Howorka, erh@uvacs
 ~

BillW%sri-kl@sri-unix.UUCP (02/21/84)

From:  William "Chops" Westfield <BillW@sri-kl>

SRI-UNIX, which is the gateway to usenet for INFO-MICRO and
INFO-CPM (amoung other mailing lists), has a broken IMP11
interface, and so no net.micro* netnews will be gatewayed
to the arpanet until we manage to find spare parts someplace...

BillW

jalbers%bnl@sri-unix.UUCP (02/28/84)

To: reece@nadc, root
Subject: Re:  Problem with MDM720 on MicroDecision
Cc: STORK@mit-mc, info-cpm@brl

I have discovered the same problem with the Osborne Executive and Osborne 1
overlays.  It looks like to overlays at SIMTEL20, or at least not all of them,
have been set up for MDM724+.  Is MDM724 larger than MDM720?  Should the
ORG or starting locations, or the locations of some 'subroutines' be changed
in the overlays?

                                            Jon Albers
                                            jalbers@bnl

KJB@Mit-Mc.ARPA (04/09/84)

From:  Kevin J. Burnett <KJB@Mit-Mc.ARPA>

How can i make modem7 dial something from the library in pulse mode
instead of touch-tone?

meier%isl@sri-unix.UUCP (04/17/84)

DUU and DU2 (with more features) are indeed excellent disk editors.
There is however one slight problem when dealing with disks with bad
sectors.  My BIOS and I assume most BIOS' trap errors and will not
return the data to DUU or DU2 if one is detected.  This leaves the
contents of the previous read in DUU's buffer.  I wrote quick and
dirty DDT routines to turn off error detection while attemting to
repair bad sectors  and then reenable error detection when I'm done.

NEVER!  "That's NEVER EVER try fixing a bad track by doing:
read..  write.. increment.. loop.    Fix those nasty little sectors
one at a time "manually".  I completeletely destroyed a directory by
doing the afforementioned "never ever".

The error handling/reporting by those programs "should" abort loops and
return error messages to the user.

Jesse (who knows more than one way to destroy a disk)

From: ABN.ISCAMS@usc-isid

DUU and DU are at SIMTEL20 via anonymous FTP (I think DUU is in the SIGM
files somewhere, and DU under disk utilities).  FINDBAD, which is supposed to
find and lock out bad sectors (by storing them in a file called BAD or
something like that) is also out there -- however I find it does not catch
all the errors, since I can run FINDBAD and still get BDOS errors. Donno
why.

If you need help FTPing from SIMTEL20, yell.

Regards,
David Kirschbaum

From: Eaton.HFED at HI-MULTICS <Eaton.HFED@HI-MULTICS>

Bob,  I don't know where you're located but if there is a local CP/M USERS
GROUP in the neighborhood that's the place to go for a wealth of CCP/M software.

There are two major CPM libraries; CPMUG and SIG/M. Of the two, SIG/M is now
the most active and all the new stuff is released in it.

Here is a list of disk manipulators you may be interested in:

DUU.*      CPMUG VOL 78
DU2.ASM    SIG/M VOL 108
DU2.COM    SIG/M VOL 108
DU2.HLP    SIG/M VOL 103   DU2.COM IS SELF DOCUMENTING AND REALLY NEEDS NO HELP
VFILER     SIG/M VOL 145
VERIFY.C   SIG/M VOL ?
Z80DISK    SIG/M VOL 140
DISK7      SIG/M VOL 127
FINDBAD    SIG/M VOL 86
CATALOG    SIG/M VOL 0   THIS DISK HAS A LIST OF ALL AVAILABLE CP/M SOFTWARE

If you don't have access to a user's group you can either send me a disk in a
SASE or you can call me at (612) 920-2115.  I have a modem at home running
MDM724 and could transfer the files to you if you like.

I have everything above but Z80DISK and DISK7.

Send me a message and let me know what you would like to do.

Have a fine day.      Jesse (Eaton.HFED@hi-multics) in Mpls, Mn.

P.S. My work number is (612) 830-3682.      Bye.........

bridger@Rand-Unix.ARPA (05/24/84)

I run several processes in the background that use the screen for messages.
When the processes terminate they need a way to restore the user's screen.

Unlike Mince, Pefect Writer, and other editors
Wordstar doesn't seem to have a command that will completely redraw
its image of the screen.   Its screen commands - scroll up/down, etc -
appear to modify the screen coordinates only if its image says the
character there isn't the same as the character that 'should' be there.

Since the background message may use
some of the blank area, WS thinks it is still blank, doesn't clear it, and
the result is a collage of the wordstar screen
and the background message.

WS gurus: Is there a patch & command that will force a full-screen redisplay?
Could one be developed & what would be needed?

--bridger

GZT.ALEX%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA (06/28/84)

From:  Alex Fraser <GZT.ALEX%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA>

	Please add me to the Info-CPM list.  I run a Heath 89,
and hope to soon put up a BBs...
	Thanks, Alex Fraser

GZT.ALEX%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA (08/06/84)

From:  Alex Fraser <GZT.ALEX%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA>

Speaking of all the C compilers that you people have been rating,
I have a problem with mine.  It lacks an INP() statement.
The compiler is Software Toolwork's C/80 compiler version 3.0
for a Heath/Zenith-89.  Has anyone written one for it?  I'm
told that it would be an extremely easy routine to write, but
unfortunately I never learned assembler.  All it needs to do
is input the byte on a given port and return it.  If anyone
could give me a pointer in the right direction to such a statement
I would be eternally greatful...

Alex Fraser
617-646-6188
Gzt.Alex%Mit-Oz@Mit-Mc

byard@dca-eur.ARPA (08/14/84)

Re:  Re: Dimension 68000
Date: 14 Aug 1984 07:30:33 Z
Text: Dave, copy info-mac@sumex and you'll find out that there is a lot
going on with the Mac.  The answer to your last question is human beings.
I have a Z-80/S-100 at home and a bunch of Macs and Lisa 2/10's at
work.  End argument on this list, okay.  Time and the market will determine
if I'm right.  Larry

kay@mitre-bedford.ARPA (09/27/84)

I'm veryinterested in zcpr3. Is there anywhere I can learn how to
install it on my machine ( Morrow Micro-Decision 2 ). To get
the software from simtel20 to my machine I need to ftp it and then
use kermit. But, and this seems to be the problem, I have no DRI
MAC assembler. Can I still do It?

Where are the installation documents anyway?

Thanks for your help.  Kris Younger.

ARPEE@mit-mc.ARPA (10/02/84)

From:  "R. P. Miller" <ARPEE@mit-mc.ARPA>

Second and last request for a calendar/scheduling program...

A week ago I asked INFO-CPM list for information regarding the above.
Again I plea for information that might be out there in netland regarding
such a program either in the public domain or commercially available.  I
got one reply indicating DATEBOOK as a possible solution.  Are there others?
The other replies were from folks such as I asking for me to share the info I
get on the subject.  There is interest from many quarters - PLEASE respond if
you have ANY info on ANY calendar/scheduling software at all.  Thanks in
advance for anything you can share with us.

----------

POURNE@mit-mc.ARPA (10/03/84)

From:  "Jerry E. Pournelle" <POURNE@mit-mc.ARPA>

calendar/1
clear systems
309 santa monica blvd
santa monica ca 90401
213-394-7740

calendar program reviewd in one of my recent BYTE columns.  we
use it.  not fancy but works nice and prints out calendars.

shaprkg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Bob Shapiro) (11/02/84)

In article <13257@sri-arpa.UUCP> keller%brl-ibd.uucp@BRL-TGR.ARPA writes:
>Has anyone out there succeeded in toggling the North Star Advantage
>ALL CAPS key with software?  Even with help of the technical manual,
>I'm having no success.  If you have succeeded, please write me
>direct at keller@brl.

   I don't seem to be able to get through to you with mail. I have your
answer. Write me with mail or call me at 213 8204111 x5343.