[net.micro.cpm] Is this really Mr. Pournelle?

rick@iddic.UUCP (Rick Coates) (11/27/84)

Is this really from Jerry Pournelle, science fiction author and columnist
in Byte Magazine - or is someone on the net impersonating him?
(Remember moscvax, et al).

> From: "Jerry E. Pournelle" <POURNE@mit-mc.ARPA>
> Newsgroups: net.micro.cpm
> Subject: Microsystems/Tech Journal
> Date: 20 Nov 84 10:20:01 GMT
> Sender: news@brl-tgr.ARPA
>
> I met Susan Gelpert-Cole, Ph.D., one of the editors of PC Tech
> Journal at COMDEX.  She's sharp.  The magazine may not be a bad
> buy.  Me, I never saw one before.  Obviously  fyou don't care
> for PC you won't want it since it is a captive; Susan says they
> do not write about PClones even yet already.

I find it hard to believe that a professional writer would put out something
like this, even to a limited public audience.  Several of the other recent
submissions from POURNE@mit-mc are similar in English quality.  Typos
are one thing, 'even yet already' is another.

Rick Coates
...!tektronix!iddic!rick
(csnet has problems at our site)

jans@mako.UUCP (Jan Steinman) (11/27/84)

In article <iddic.1858> rick@iddic.UUCP (Rick Coates) writes:
>Is this really from Jerry Pournelle, science fiction author and columnist...
>I find it hard to believe that a professional writer would put out something
>like this, even to a limited public audience...

C'mon, Rick!  Lighten up!  Do you run everything you post to the net through
spelling checkers, grammer analyzers, etc., or are you merely blessed with
perfect mastery of the English language?

I don't think it is fair that Jerry is singled out for a lot of criticism
simply because one might recognize his name.  (Or, perhaps be envious of
his fame?)  And I really don't think it is fair that we waste all the
net.micro.cpm'ers time with this subject!  All future criticism of Pournelle
to net.flame, agreed!
--
:::::: Jan Steinman		Box 1000, MS 61-161	(w)503/685-2843 ::::::
:::::: tektronix!tekecs!jans	Wilsonville, OR 97070	(h)503/657-7703 ::::::

crm@duke.UUCP (Charlie Martin) (11/28/84)

If you think Jerry's typing etc is bad, you should get a
letter from Ray Bradbury someday!

Think about it -- if you are ripping out one-shot code, do
you always use the best coding techniques you possibly can?
These folks get PAID for good writing, and it's only reasonable
that they would not take great care with unpaid quick notes!

--
		What is the sound of one hand, clapping?
		Toop, toop, toop.

				Charlie Martin
				(...mcnc!duke!crm)

greenber@acf4.UUCP (11/29/84)

<>

As an aside.....DR. Pournelle gives an ARPA net address that we,
unfortuneately, do not have access to.

What is POURNE@MIT-MC.ARPA's UUCP address???

Ross M. Greenberg  @ NYU   ---->  allegra!cmcl2!acf4!greenber  <----

tim@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Tim Maroney) (11/30/84)

Flannery O'Connor, one of the greatest of the American writers, submitted
awful, horrible stuff, rife with misspellings and grammatical errors.  Don't
assume that "real writers" don't have such problems.
--
Tim Maroney, Carnegie-Mellon University Computation Center
ARPA:	Tim.Maroney@CMU-CS-K

"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are
but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains."
Liber AL, II:9.

Jerry E. Pournelle <POURNE@Mit-Mc.ARPA> (12/05/84)

I expect I will get to the original message that inspired this
sometime?  I have been a week from my desk.  Ye gods.
best wishes
jep

Jerry E. Pournelle <POURNE@Mit-Mc.ARPA> (12/05/84)

You are certainly correct.  One should never write anything,
even for limited public distribution, that is not letter perfect
in spelling and grammar.  To do so is inexcusable; therefore I
can hardly beg your forgiveness.  Mr. Coates, I appreciate your
pointing out the egregious error I have committed, and I assure
you I shall endeavor not to do so again; certainly not for so
frivolous a purpose as giving net correspondents the benefits of
my experiences at shows they might not have attended.
	Of course I am usually paid for careful writing; so
perhaps the thing to do is obvious.
	My thanks.
    Date: 27 Nov 84 17:49:24 GMT
    From: Rick Coates <rick at iddic.uucp>