[net.micro.cpm] Umodem

wcwells%ucbopal.CC@Ucb-Vax.ARPA (08/19/84)

From:  William C. Wells <wcwells%ucbopal.CC@Ucb-Vax.ARPA>

	Date: Sat, 18 Aug 84 12:37:24 edt
	From: gvax.rej@Cornell.ARPA (Ralph Johnson)
	To: wcwells@BERKELEY
	Subject: Re:  Umodem

	You really want to use uucp to transfer files from one Unix
	machine to another.  It's the standard.  Is there some reason
	why you can't do this?

I do not want to use "uucp" because the it requires disk space for
spool files and human intervention to set up and maintain. In the next
couple of years we expect to have over 2000 microcomputer/workstations
on campus.  Many of those microcomputer/workstations will be Unix
systems with modems and terminal emulation software. The overhead in
maintain uucp links with 1000+ workstations would be to high.

So what I am looking for is a "xmodem" (cf. MDM7xx) program written in
C that will permit a user on a Unix system (eg. a Unix microcomputer)
to dial out to a remote Unix system, login to a remote Unix system (via
terminal access dial-up lines), execute a remote "umodem" program to
start a file transfer, escape back to the local program, and fire up
the local end of the file transfer.

Bill Wells
wcwells@ucbvax.ARPA
ucbvax!wcwells
wcwells@ucbjade.BITNET

wcwells%ucbopal.CC@Ucb-Vax.ARPA (08/24/84)

From:  William C. Wells <wcwells%ucbopal.CC@Ucb-Vax.ARPA>

I know someone who would like to dial into our Unix system and from
another Unix system (using the Unix "cu" command), then use a modem
program to transfer files.  We have the 4.2 BSD xmodem (from UCSD) on
our end.  Does anyone know how to do this?

Some problems encountered so far:  Executing xmodem on the answering
system and umodem on the originating system from within "cu" does not
work.  xmodem, tmodem, umodem, and uc all appear to be programs for the
answering Unix system. "cu" (version 7) appears to be able to redirect
output or input, but not both to the same program. I suspect that "cu"
needs to be called from the the originating modem program to establish
a terminal mode with the remote system.  Does anyone have a modem
program that will do this? Or does anyone have a Unix modem program
that has a terminal mode?

Bill Wells
wcwells@Berkeley.ARPA
ucbvax!wcwells
wcwells@ucbjade.BITNET

lauren@RAND-UNIX.ARPA (08/25/84)

From:  Lauren Weinstein <vortex!lauren@RAND-UNIX.ARPA>

Both umodem and the C versions of kermit already have "connect" modes
for making outgoing connections.  Neither directly support automatic
dialing, but this is pretty modem specific and trivial to add for
any given case.  Or, if you prefer, you can always dial out with
"cu," suspend the connection, and then use umodem or kermit for the
file transfers as you choose.

Such procedures would probably be adequate for the sorts of "occasional"
file transfers you apparently consider likely within your "network."

--Lauren--

P.S.  If you plan to use umodem, you'll have to look around for the version
with the connect feature.  There are a multitude of different versions
of umodem that people have spawned off from my original code.  So many,
in fact, that I no longer officially support umodem in any manner.

--LW--

jshaver@apg-3.ARPA (12/07/84)

Where is there a description of the UMODEM error messages that go into the
LOG file?

		Thanks

				John