[net.micro.cpm] Apple Serial Problem w/ ALS cpm card

brad@Dca-Eur.ARPA (01/29/85)

Date: 29 Jan 1985 08:43:14 Z
Comment:
Forwarded message(s):
To: rmeier @ su-star
From: brad @ dca-eur
Subject: ALS CP/M Card
Date: 29 Jan 1985 07:28:35 Z
cc: brad @ dca-eur, dbrothers @ ddn1
Text: Bob,
Thanks for your reply.  Last night I had a major breakthru by getting
data to my printer.  I was able to do this by putting my serial card
in slot #2 and using PIP to send a file to AUX: (slot 2)  I have
WordStar and would like to use the print command in WordStar, but
the next best thing would be to send the output of WordStar to disk
and then use pip to print it out.

ALS told me in a letter that with release 3.01B2 and later they have
a utility called FLIP to reassign Apple slots 1, 2, and 3 similar to
the way DEVICE.COM works.  I have release 3.01B1 and don't have the
the FLIP utility.  ALS says they will mail it to me.  So far I have
been unable to get DEVICE.COM to work (maybe I'm using the wrong format
for the command or something else simple).  Since ALS has come up with
the FLIP utility, perhaps that's because DEVICE doesn't work with the
Apple.  Oh, well, my main concern was to get data to the serial printer
and I overcame that last night using PIP.  It still would be nice to
be able to turn on the printer using ctrl-p, hopefully ALS FLIP will
do that by allowing me to redefine slot #2 as LST: instead of AUX: .

I still haven't discovered why CP/M won't boot with the serial card
in slot #1.  I thought it may be because the serial card occupies
some of the same ROM space as the CP/M card.  I know there is a
problem where the MicroModem will not work in slot 2 if the Serial
Card is in slot #1.  Maybe you can shed some light on that since you
have serial cards in both slot 1 and 2.

I have ordered the ALS Programmers' Toolkit which includes two disks
containing both the source for ALS' BIOS and Digital Research
skeletal BIOS.  With that I should be in pretty good shape to figure
things out.

Over here in Stuttgart, Germany. I am really isolated from the
"real world".  I don't know anyone else here that has the ALS
CP/M card here.
Thanks again.
Brad

-------------END OF FORWARDED MESSAGE(S)-------------