[net.micro.cpm] BU-11.COM - HD backup/Questions and information.

ruben@ut-ngp.UUCP (Ruben Ramirez-Mitchell) (03/01/85)

I downloaded BU-11.LBR from Simtel to see If I could use it with my system
 (CompuPro C-HQ540 running under MPM-816) to backup my 40Mb Hard disk.
 The program is very nice: it includes a number of good options (backup single
 or multiple drives, current user area or all, files with attribute set or
 not, etc) and it is much better than my present system. I back up using
 ARCHIVE (COM or CMD), SUBMIT files and SOFTKEY files (a keyboard enhancer
 program for Compupro systems).

 Additional features: It generates an alphabetical listing of all non-dupli-
 cated files, prints it and then, as it backs up, it prints a formatted list
 of the files being copied. It prompts for the date and a disk number, and
 this info is used to generate in user 0 of the backup disk a file called
 -<date>.<number>.

 Problems and questions:
 BU comes setup to manipulate the file attribute F4. This is no good for my
 system where this attribute is used by MPM to disable several features.
 I  modified it  so it manipulates T3 ( the archive attribute bit) and now it
 sets and resets this bit like ARCHIVE ,PIP, etc.

 Problems: The program prompts for a new disk when the backup is full, but
 if a new one is inserted I run into problems under MPM-816.
 Has anybody modified BU to do the equivalent of a DSKRESET ?
 Is anybody using this program with a Compupro system running under MPM-816?

 The program is in MICRO:<CPM.DSKUTL>BU-11.LBR.

              Ruben Mitchell
              Cell Research Institute
              University of Texas
              Austin, Texas 78712