[net.micro.cpm] Osborne I software portability

hugh@hcrvx1.UUCP (Hugh Redelmeier) (08/07/85)

I just bought three pieces of Osborne I software (issued by Osborne
itself), hoping to run them on my Kaypro II.  The programs should be
generic CP/M because they do not require bypassing the operating
system.  And yet two out of the three don't work.  Is it the case that
Osborne hobbled its software to prevent it to run on other brands
of machines?  If so, how did they do it?

Note: the software is not the bundled stuff that came with an Osborne.
The two packages are MuSimp/MuMath (Soft Warehouse's symbolic algebra
package), and Bascom (Microsoft's BASIC compiler).  I bought new copies,
still shrinkwrapped, from an Osborne dealer (they were very old stock).
Nothing in the license seems to preclude running on a Kaypro.

Symptoms:

MuSimp: Whenever a "RECLAIM();" is executed, the system crashes.
	Usually the machine locks up, but sometimes it gets a BDOS error,
	indicating some kind of wild jump.
BASCOM:	BASCOM loads and then immediately does a warm boot.

Hugh Redelmeier (416) 922-1937
{utzoo, ihnp4, decvax}!hcr!hugh

rlk@wlcrjs.UUCP (Richard L. Klappal) (08/13/85)

In article <1214@hcrvx1.UUCP> hugh@hcrvx1.UUCP (Hugh Redelmeier) writes:
>I just bought three pieces of Osborne I software (issued by Osborne
>itself), hoping to run them on my Kaypro II.  The programs should be
>generic CP/M because they do not require bypassing the operating
>system.  And yet two out of the three don't work.  Is it the case that
>Osborne hobbled its software to prevent it to run on other brands
>of machines?  If so, how did they do it?
>
>Note: the software is not the bundled stuff that came with an Osborne.
>The two packages are MuSimp/MuMath (Soft Warehouse's symbolic algebra
>package), and Bascom (Microsoft's BASIC compiler).  I bought new copies,
>still shrinkwrapped, from an Osborne dealer (they were very old stock).
>Nothing in the license seems to preclude running on a Kaypro.
>
>Symptoms:
>
>MuSimp: Whenever a "RECLAIM();" is executed, the system crashes.
>	Usually the machine locks up, but sometimes it gets a BDOS error,
>	indicating some kind of wild jump.
>BASCOM:	BASCOM loads and then immediately does a warm boot.
>
>Hugh Redelmeier (416) 922-1937
>{utzoo, ihnp4, decvax}!hcr!hugh

I also ran into the same problem taking BASCOM from the Os1 to CP/M
on a co-processor board in a Fortune 32:16.  Fix is as follows (and
probably the same for Mu*).

Using ddt (or preferferably zsid) trace execution through the init
sequence of the program.  Very shortly after starting, the program
will jump above 4000H.  trace that code, looking for a section of
about 32 bytes, beginning with a DI (disable interrupts) and
ending with EI (enable interrupts).  This section of code
does a bank switch, and verifies that there is ROM at 0100H.
replace this 32 bytes of code with 00h, exit and save the image.

Works for me.

For the record, Drive B on the Os died again, so I am only using the software
on one CPU (albeit a Z80B, running as a task under UNIX on a 68K).
Who says you can't do what you want?  (The MIMIX (tm) software even
lets me use vi as the replacement for CP/Ms ED.)

Richard Klappal

UUCP:		..!ihnp4!wlcrjs!uklpl!rlk  | "Money is truthful.  If a man
MCIMail:	rklappal		   | speaks of his honor, make him
Compuserve:	74106,1021		   | pay cash."
USPS:		1 S 299 Danby Street	   |
		Villa Park IL 60181	   |	Lazarus Long
TEL:		(312) 620-4988		   |	    (aka R. Heinlein)