[net.micro.cpm] NEWS PAPER STUFF

Webb Mike@LLL-MFE.ARPA (09/09/85)

DEAR NETLANDIANS

	MY WIFE IS PUTTING OUT A LITTLE (5-10 PAGE) NEWSPAPER TO THE PARENTS
OF THE SCHOOL MY KIDS GOTO TO PROVIDE INFO,BEG FOR HELP ETC. MY QUESTION IS
'DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A TEXT PROC. PROGRAM WHICH WILL ALLOW TEXT TO BE FORMATTED
INTO SEVERAL COLUMNS ON THE SAME PAGE???'. THIS PROGRAM WOULD IDEALY BE FREE AS THE SCHOOL HAS 0-DOLLARS TO SPEND ON THIS "SORT OF STUFF"!

				MIKE WEBB
				WEBB@LLL-MFE.ARPA

rlk@chinet.UUCP (Richard L. Klappal) (09/12/85)

In article <1383@brl-tgr.ARPA> Webb Mike@LLL-MFE.ARPA writes:

>DEAR NETLANDIANS
>
>	MY WIFE IS PUTTING OUT A LITTLE (5-10 PAGE) NEWSPAPER TO THE PARENTS
>OF THE SCHOOL MY KIDS GOTO TO PROVIDE INFO,BEG FOR HELP ETC. MY QUESTION IS
>'DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A TEXT PROC. PROGRAM WHICH WILL ALLOW TEXT TO BE FORMATTED
>INTO SEVERAL COLUMNS ON THE SAME PAGE???'. THIS PROGRAM WOULD IDEALY BE FREE AS THE SCHOOL HAS 0-DOLLARS TO SPEND ON THIS "SORT OF STUFF"!
>

>				MIKE WEBB
>				WEBB@LLL-MFE.ARPA

Assuming you have access to CPM/[MS|PC]DOS machines, the current versions
of Wordstar(tm) support a "column move" capability.  Not very convenient,
but it can be made to work.

1:	Format the text to the width of a column.
2:	Change to Column move mode -- ^K^N
3:	mark the top left corner of the text that is to go in the second
	column.		^K^B
4:	mark the bottom right corner of the '2nd' column text.	^K^K
	(The block of text should now be highlighted (or have ^B down
	the left and ^K down the right, depending on your hardware.)
5:	place the cursor at the top left corner of the 2nd column
	destination area
6:	execute the move	^K^V

7:	delete the blank lines left in the source area.

8:	repeat steps 3..7 as needed for additional columns.
9:	Save your stuff regularly.  This procedure crashes WS with some
	regularity on my Kaypro (WS Ver 3.something); problem may be
	resolved if later releases are out.
10:	DO NOT USE JUSTIFIED PRINTING IF YOUR PRINTER ATTEMPTS TO
	MICRO-JUSTIFY THE LINES.

Off hand, the only other solution (inexpensive!) might be to find
a second hand dedicated word processor someone might be willing to
donate.  (I know Phillips Micom 2000's supportted automatic
multicolumn formatting, and XEROX 860s are (were) supposed to but
I never used it there.  The other 10-15 dedicated wp's I used to
have access to couldn't do it.)

I'm not familiar with any of the other WP programs in the cpm/ms/pcdos
area.  I never found any of them to have enough improvement, if any,
over WS to be worth the cost/effort to learn another.

In the UN*X area, Fortune's FORTUNE:WORD (tm) has auto multicolumn
capability, but from what you indicated, it would be too expensive,
unless you could get a donation.
PS:	the ^K^B^N stuff is <CTRL>k , etc. in case your not familiar
	with this notation.

--

Richard Klappal

UUCP:		..!ihnp4!chinet!uklpl!rlk  | "Money is truthful.  If a man
MCIMail:	rklappal		   | speaks of his honor, make him
Compuserve:	74106,1021		   | pay cash."
USPS:		1 S 299 Danby Street	   |
		Villa Park IL 60181	   |	Lazarus Long
TEL:		(312) 620-4988		   |	    (aka R. Heinlein)

W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA (Keith Petersen) (09/12/85)

>ABN.ISCAMS at USC-ISID.ARPA writes:
>I have a little program, DBLPRINT.COM (and accompanying DBLPRINT.HLP)
>that works just fine on a CP/M 2.2 system.  Cannot remember just where I
>found it - doesn't seem to be in the SIGM archives (didn't see it anyway),
>but fur shur is Public Domain.

>I do NOT have source code, so no mods possible (very easily).  Glad to upload
>it to where you can reach it if you like.  If they're doing Apples or PC's,
>tho, we're out of luck with this program.

This program is probably the one you're looking for:

Filename                        Type     Bytes   CRC

SIMTEL20 directory MICRO:<CPM.LIST>
DBL211.LBR.1                    BINARY   11392  B121H

--Keith