[net.micro.cpm] UUCP for CP/M wanted

dcmartin@UCB-VAX.ARPA (David C. Martin) (09/16/85)

My father wants to join the net, but only has a CP/M box (he has MS-DOS
too, but that is a piddling machine).  Anyway, I would like a pointer to
the source for uucp for cp/m.  Thanks in advance.

David C. Martin
-----
University of California at Berkeley
arpa: dcmartin@berkeley                            usps: 2230 Haste St #107
uucp: {ihnp4,decvax}!ucbvax!dcmartin                     Berkeley, CA 94704
at&t: 415/548-8625

nep.pgelhausen@AMES-VMSB.ARPA (09/16/85)

Question: UUCP for cp/m?

UUCP is the "Unix-to-Unix copy" utility, if I remember correctly....is what
you want a file transfering program....a file transfer program that uses
the same protocol as UUCP (be that xmodem or whatever...I don't rightly
know....)....what exactly are you looking for?

		-Richard Hartman
		max.hartman@ames-vmsb

------

bill@persci.UUCP (09/23/85)

In article <822@mcnc.mcnc.UUCP> ravi@mcnc.UUCP (Ravi Subrahmanyan) wrote:
>Getting something automatic like uucp is a real hassle;  I guess
>what is wanted is a file transfer setup, which you invoke
>rather than have jobs submitted to a demon and run automatically.

Many of us already have file transfer systems working. As I recall, the
original poster wanted news on his father's CP/M system. He's not alone,
I also would like news (and, perhaps, mail) to go to my system at home,
for various reasons.

This means that the home system has to appear to a Unix uucp as just another
unix system running uucp. Since the complete protocol has apparently been
determined to be proprietary (please correct me if I'm wrong!), this is
difficult for most of us to do.

Having daemons, etc, is not really necessary nor important. If I had a
program (even one that I needed to start manually, just like whatever
MODEM7 descendant I'm using this week) that would login to a unix system,
and conduct mail/news transfers, I would have what I need to put this
home system on the net.

If anybody has ideas on how to this, I would be glad to hear them. I am
already looking at a method based on file-transfer rather than uucp. It
doesn't create a new site, but merely extends my "user" to include the
home system in a rather clumsy fashion. (Please, no flames about "too
many sites", etc)

--
William Swan  {ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!persci!bill

rs@SEISMO.ARPA (09/23/85)

Your best bet for a micro implementation of UUCP is Lauren Weinstein's
(sp?) package.  Contact lauren@vortex for more info.

As I recall, he did a complete ground-up implementation without
looking at any UUCP source.  The protocols are not described anywhere
and are therefore considered "trade secret" (no flames if I used the
wrong legalese, please); he spent a lot of time sitting there typing
stuff at a uucico to figure out what's going on...

--
Rich $alz	{mit-eddie, ihnp4!inmet, wjh12, cca, datacube} !mirror!rs
Mirror Systems	2067 Massachusetts Ave.

dmk@lanl.ARPA (09/26/85)

[]

     I saw a note in one of the C-Kermit help files that said there were
hooks in C-Kermit to integrate it with UUCP.  That way UNIX machines can
talk to micros as if they were other UNIX machines, and the micros don't
need any software other than a vanilla Kermit.  Has anyone tried this?
Does it work?
--
                                   David Keaton
                                   Los Alamos National Laboratory