[net.micro.cpm] wanna buy TurboPascal for CP/M-80

rbloom@apg-1.ARPA (Robert Bloom AMSTE-TOI 3775) (09/20/85)

I thought this was going to be easy, but ....

I'm trying to buy a copy of TurboPascal v3.0 for my NorthStar
Horizon running CP/M-80 v2.2.  So far I've gone through about 10
mail order places in BYTE and come up empty - most don't carry
it, and the two that I found that do, don't have it in stock.

So, anyone know a source where I can buy and get a copy
relatively quickly, say, under two weeks?  Some of the places
having only the IBM versions advertize prices as low as $30 ...
I'll settle for anything under $50.

Please reply directly to rbloom@apg-1 *AND* rbloom@brl-vld (apg-1
shuts down weekends.)

(I need the Pascal compiler for a course I'm taking and am
already two weeks behind in assignments - the code's written but
I have nothing to compiler it on.  Yes I know there's JRT, but
was told that it can be worse than useless ...)

-bob bloom

ABN.ISCAMS@USC-ISID.ARPA (09/23/85)

Bob (et al)

You wanted to order Turbo Pascal 3.0 FAST .. just placed a telephonic order
(at 9:30 PM!) to NorthEastern .. ad in PCWeek, tollfree (!) 1-800-382-2242.
Good prices, and came in this afternoon via UPS .. 2 day (less, actually)
response time.  7 days a week ordering, air courier delivery even!

I have no affiliation or commercial/financial kickback from this .. just a
pleased "fast-response-needed" customer.

Turbo 3.0 was $37, Turbo ToolBox 1.0 $29.00 (if you want database/BTree
stuff).  They also have rental library for short-term stuff.

Regards,
David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall
ABN.ISCAMS@USC-ISID

rbloom@BRL.ARPA (TECOM) (09/23/85)

David:

Good suggestion, but no banana ...

Just talked with NorthEastern - and was told that they only sold
software for IBM compatibles.  They is the same stuff that I've gotten
from a whole bunch of places, I guess that the CP/M-80 market is
dying.

If I can't find somebody with it in stock, I gues that I'll have to
go directly to Borland; but $70 seems a bit steep when places like
NorthEastern do sell the IBM junk for $29!

-bob

Ghenis.pasa@XEROX.ARPA (09/24/85)

/
Have you contacted Borland itself? If it is available, they should have
it. Another solution would be to get yourself a format conversion
program like Uniform or Media Master so you can order Turbo in another
format (it is user-installable so you'll be fine). Or you can go to a
local computer club for the format conversion, they will be glad to help
with a conversion program or an Xmodem transfer

Good luck

cem@intelca.UUCP (Chuck McManis) (09/25/85)

> I thought this was going to be easy, but ....
>
> I'm trying to buy a copy of TurboPascal v3.0 for my NorthStar
> Horizon running CP/M-80 v2.2.  So far I've gone through about 10
> mail order places in BYTE and come up empty - most don't carry
> it, and the two that I found that do, don't have it in stock.
>
> So, anyone know a source where I can buy and get a copy
> relatively quickly, say, under two weeks?  Some of the places
> having only the IBM versions advertize prices as low as $30 ...
> I'll settle for anything under $50....

'course you could get it from Borland, they of course charge list for it
but will get it to you in a few days if you charge it.

--Chuck
--
                                            - - - D I S C L A I M E R - - -
{ihnp4,fortune}!dual\                     All opinions expressed herein are my

oleg@birtch.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev x258) (09/26/85)

> Yes I know there's JRT, but  was told that it can be worse than useless ...)

You were told correctly. Some time ago when I worked for UCLA Extension
we bought JRT Pascal compiler for CPM2.2 on hp125. It stunk. Turbo Pascal
was WAY better.  However, JRT had a new version of their compiler since
then. ...

As an alternative: have you tried to call the folks at Borland?
They are the ones who make it. The could suggest a dealer to contact!

shor@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Melinda Shore) (09/27/85)

[]
Try the Programmer's Shop in Massachusetts.  I've had uniformly
excellent experiences buying my software from them.  They claim to
carry every programmer's tool for CP/M, MS-DOS, and MacIntosh
computers.

	Programmer's Shop
	128 Rockland St.
	Hanover, MA  02339
	800-421-8006

I don't know their price for Turbo Pascal, but I know they've got it.

[I'm not affiliated with the Programmer's Shop]

--
Melinda Shore                               ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!shor
University of Chicago Computation Center    Staff.Melinda%chip@UChicago.Bitnet

"Beavers, by teamwork family life!"    [Dr. Bronner]

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (09/30/85)

In article <111@birtch.UUCP> oleg@birtch.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev x258) writes:
>> Yes I know there's JRT, but  was told that it can be worse than useless ...)
>
>You were told correctly. Some time ago when I worked for UCLA Extension
>we bought JRT Pascal compiler for CPM2.2 on hp125. It stunk. Turbo Pascal
>was WAY better.  However, JRT had a new version of their compiler since
>then. ...

I've got it.  It still stinks.  I'm going to trash it and go with Turbo for
my next project.

The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp(+)TTI                    Common Sense is what tells you that a ten
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.             pound weight falls ten times as fast as a
Santa Monica, CA  90405           one pound weight.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe