[net.micro.cpm] Looking for WATFOR compiler

dukelow@noscvax.UUCP (Robert A. Dukelow) (10/02/85)

Does anyone know if a compiler named WATFOR is available for either
PC-DOS or CP/M? If so, where? My daughter is learning it in her high
school class and would like to have it at home to make life easier.
--Bob Dukelow (dukelow@nosc)

campbell@watdcsu.UUCP (Colin Campbell [DCS]) (10/07/85)

> Does anyone know if a compiler named WATFOR is available for either
> PC-DOS or CP/M? If so, where? My daughter is learning it in her high
> school class and would like to have it at home to make life easier.
> --Bob Dukelow (dukelow@nosc)

WATFOR77 is available for PC-DOS from:
        WATCOM Products Inc
        415 Phillip Street
        Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
        N2L 3X2
        (519) 886-3700
        Telex 06-955 458
It is available for other systems, too (e.g. IBM VM/CMS), but I don't
think it runs under CP/M.  It supports the full FORTRAN 77 standard.
Your daugther may be using WATFOR on a DEC mini in which case I believe
it would be a FORTRAN 66 compiler (from the same people).  (btw WATCOM
Products markets software developed by the WATCOM Group, as well as
software developed at the University of Waterloo - where I am employed.)

Kushall.henr@XEROX.ARPA (10/07/85)

WATFOR stands for WATerlooFORtran and is an interactive Fortran interputer.
It was developed by Waterloo University in Canada.

The first machine to use it was the Commadore 9000 (Super PET).
I don't know if ever was made available for any other machines.

Ed

young@UCI-ICSC.ARPA (Michal Young) (10/08/85)

WATFOR was NOT first implemented on the SuperPET. It's immediate successor,
WATFIV, is mentioned in the 1979 edition of the dragon book (Aho and
Ullman), so WATFOR was around a long time before SuperPET. The version I am
aware of was available on IBM mainframes and was not an interpreter;  it was
a very fast compiler optimized for handling multiple compiles submitted in a
batch.  It was specially designed for student use, concentrating on quick
compile and good error checking rather than optimized object code.

--Michal Young, young@uci

earl@BRL.ARPA (VLD/ASB) (10/08/85)

I used WATFOR/WATFIV back in '72 on U of Mich's IBM 360/67.  Presumably that
predates the "Commadore 9000 (Super PET)."

toma@tekchips.UUCP (Tom Almy) (10/10/85)

In article <1953@brl-tgr.ARPA> Kushall.henr@XEROX.ARPA writes:
>WATFOR stands for WATerlooFORtran and is an interactive Fortran interputer.
>It was developed by Waterloo University in Canada.
>
>The first machine to use it was the Commadore 9000 (Super PET).
>I don't know if ever was made available for any other machines.
>
>Ed

Gee, I used WATFOR in 1968 on an IBM 360.  They (Univ. of Waterloo) also
released in about that time frame WATFIV (WATerloo Fortran IV) and a
terrific Assembler.  I was very impressed with their compilers.

Tom

medin@noscvax.UUCP (Ted Medin) (10/10/85)

In article <1953@brl-tgr.ARPA> Kushall.henr@XEROX.ARPA writes:
>WATFOR stands for WATerlooFORtran and is an interactive Fortran interputer.
>It was developed by Waterloo University in Canada.
>
>The first machine to use it was the Commadore 9000 (Super PET).
>I don't know if ever was made available for any other machines.

 I first used WATFOR on an IBM 360/65 in '66 or so.

In article <1980@brl-tgr.ARPA> young@UCI-ICSC.ARPA (Michal Young) writes:

>WATFOR was NOT first implemented on the SuperPET. It's immediate successor,
>WATFIV, is mentioned in the 1979 edition of the dragon book (Aho and
>Ullman), so WATFOR was around a long time before SuperPET. The version I am
>aware of was available on IBM mainframes and was not an interpreter;  it was
>a very fast compiler optimized for handling multiple compiles submitted in a
>batch.  It was specially designed for student use, concentrating on quick
>compile and good error checking rather than optimized object code.

 I believe you are wrong about the interpreter part. But you are right about
all the rest. It was the best diagnostic compiler/interpreter I have ever
worked with.