    Date:     Fri, 11 Oct 85 7:48:36 EDT
    From:     Kenneth E. Van_Camp (LCWSL) <kvancamp@Pica-Lca.ARPA>
    To:       stanley@usc-eclb.arpa
    Cc:       info-cpm@amsaa.arpa
    Subject:  read/write 48 tpi disks on 96 tpi drives

    I disagree with Dick Stanley on writing 48 tpi disks on 96 tpi drives.
    I've been reading & writing this way on my IBM PC AT for quite a while
    with no complications (DOS 2.10).
		    --Ken Van Camp

	      --------------------

Ken,

I'm glad to know it can be done with repeatability.  Any hints
you can offer on how to get the write part to work dependably
will be greatly appreciated.  My H89 won't do that at all, and
out PC/AT at the office bats no better than .400.

                                ...Dick

edelheit@MITRE.ARPA (Jeff Edelheit) (10/11/85)

For what it's worth, we were so concerned about read/write of 48 tpi
on our PC/AT we spent the extra $200+ and got the optional 48 tpi
second drive.

Dick, one thing to note in Ken's earlier note was that he said he
used 2.1 not 3.1.  If the 2.1 is a typo, then he is having much better
luck than anyonelse I know.

Jeff Edelheit
(edelheit@mitre)