[net.micro.cpm] A way to read 48 tpi disks on 96 tpi drives?

ir320@sdcc6.UUCP (ir320) (10/05/85)

Hello netlanders,

I am getting a new computer and need to decide whether to get 96 tpi drives
or 48 tpi drives.  I know I get double the storage with 96 tpi, but I also
give up disk compatability with them don't I?  Is there a way I could
read/write a 48 tpi disks on a 96 tpi machine.  (The system is question
is the new SB180 system described in Byte.)  Can other systems write disks
for these drives?

John Antypas
UC San Diego

uucp: ...!{ ucbvax, decvax, ihnp4, noscvax, bang}!sdcsvax!sdcc6!ir320
arpa: ir320%sdcc6@sdcsvax.ARPA   sdcsvax!sdcc6!ir320@Berkeley.ARPA

STANLEY@USC-ECLB.ARPA (10/10/85)

    Date: 5 Oct 85 16:37:40 GMT
    From: ir320 <ir320%sdcc6.uucp@BRL.ARPA>
    To:       info-cpm@AMSAA.ARPA
    Subject: A way to read 48 tpi disks on 96 tpi drives?
    Newsgroups: net.micro.cpm

    Hello netlanders,

    I am getting a new computer and need to decide whether to get 96 tpi drives
    or 48 tpi drives.  I know I get double the storage with 96 tpi, but I also
    give up disk compatability with them don't I?  Is there a way I could
    read/write a 48 tpi disks on a 96 tpi machine.  (The system is question
    is the new SB180 system described in Byte.)  Can other systems write disks
    for these drives?

    John Antypas
    UC San Diego

    uucp: ...!{ ucbvax, decvax, ihnp4, noscvax, bang}!sdcsvax!sdcc6!ir320
    arpa: ir320%sdcc6@sdcsvax.ARPA   sdcsvax!sdcc6!ir320@Berkeley.ARPA

	      --------------------

John,

You can read 48 tpi disks on 96 tpi drives by double-stepping the
head for each track; Heath H89's have been doing this for a long
time.  Writing in 48 tpi from a 96 tpi drive is another thing.
I've been told it can be done, and have seen it happen
occasionally on an IBM PC/AT, but my experience tells me it is a
very dicey business.  Reading can be done dependably, but not
writing.

                                ...Dick Stanley

Kushall.henr@XEROX.ARPA (10/10/85)

I have a DEC Rainbow that uses DEC RX50 single sidded 96 tpi drives,
under MS-DOS I can read IBM PC single sidded 48 tpi disks.

There is also a program called Media Master that allows reading(and
writing) of many popular 96 & 48 tpi disks.

MM even allows the 96 tpi drive to format a disk to the popular 48 tpi
formats, Kaypro, IBM PC, Osborne.

One problem that can occur in writing is that the 96 tpi head width is
narrower than with a 48tpi drive (At least DEC claims it is) and a 48
tpi drive might have trouble reading a 48 tpi disk written with a 96 tpi
drive.
I have had very good results with this, but always use a 'new' disk to
avoid data residue that could be left from a 48 tpi write that may not
erase completly with a 96 tpi head.

To make a long story short, with the right software you can read the 48
tpi disks on the 96 tpi drives!

ED KUSHALL

bobh@pedsgd.UUCP (Bob Halloran) (10/11/85)

In article <2229@sdcc6.UUCP> ir320@sdcc6.UUCP (ir320) writes:
>I am getting a new computer and need to decide whether to get 96 tpi drives
>or 48 tpi drives.  I know I get double the storage with 96 tpi, but I also
>give up disk compatability with them don't I?  Is there a way I could
>read/write a 48 tpi disks on a 96 tpi machine.  (The system is question
>is the new SB180 system described in Byte.)  Can other systems write disks
>for these drives?

A 96tpi drive CAN read disks written on a 48tpi drive; the second part
of the construction article for that same SB180 implies as much.  The
BIOS needs some extra code to realize it must double-step for these
disk formats.  The major problem as I understand it is that in writing,
the 96tpi drive lays down a narrower 'track' than the 48tpi drive (makes
sense), which may either get lost against a previously written 'wide'
track if the disk has been used before in a 48tpi drive, or simply be
too narrow for the 48tpi drive's head to get a useful signal from.

Hope this helps.

						Bob Halloran
						Sr MTS, Perkin-Elmer DSG
UUCP: {decvax, ucbvax, most Action Central}!vax135\
		       	 {topaz, pesnta, princeton}!petsd!pedsgd!bobh
ARPA: petsd!pedsgd!bobh@topaz
USPS: 106 Apple St M/S 305, Tinton Falls NJ 07724
DDD: (201) 758-7000
Disclaimer: My opinions are my own.
Quote: "It's Reagan's fault.  Everything's Reagan's fault.  Floods...
   volcanoes...  herpes... Reagan's fault." -- Editor Overbeek, Bloom Beacon

cem@intelca.UUCP (Chuck McManis) (10/11/85)

> I am getting a new computer and need to decide whether to get 96 tpi drives
> or 48 tpi drives.  I know I get double the storage with 96 tpi, but I also
> give up disk compatability with them don't I?  Is there a way I could
> read/write a 48 tpi disks on a 96 tpi machine.  (The system is question
> is the new SB180 system described in Byte.)  Can other systems write disks
> for these drives?

The Ampro can read 48TPI disks on 96TPI drives, and since Joe Wright wrote
the BIOS for the SB180 and is/was heavily involved in the Ampro software I
suspect the SB180 will also support this capability. Another solution is
to spend the $20 for a single sided 48TPI drive and use it as a spare for
compatibility purposes.

--Chuck

--
                                            - - - D I S C L A I M E R - - -
{ihnp4,fortune}!dual\                     All opinions expressed herein are my

VOORHEIS.ES@XEROX.ARPA (10/15/85)

We recently purchased a Compaq AT compatable and were having trouble
formating diskettes.  The unit has one 96tpi and one 48tpi drives.
After talking with the service people at the store, here is the summary:

-a 96 tpi drive can read and write* 48 tpi format.
-a 48 tpi drive can read diskettes formated to 48 tpi by a 96 tpi drive.
-use High Density media when writing with 96 tpi drives.
-use double density media when writing with 48 tpi drives.

*We were told that 96 tpi drives heads are narrower and that the write
current is different than 48 tpi drives.  Therefore, 48 tpi drives
cannot write on HD media and 96 tpi drive cannot write on 2D (double
density media).