[net.micro.cpm] C compiler info

u557593877ea@ucdavis.UUCP (u557593877ea) (10/10/85)

*** I DID REPLACE THIS LINE WITH MY MESSAGE ***

  I am interested in purchasing a C compiler and am consider the BDS compiler.
I am using a Z80 system with CP/M80.  I would appreciate any thoughts or
experiances on this or other low-priced compilers (under $200).
Thanks in advance...

            				Bruce Martin
ps  Please reply by E-mail!

(ARPA)   ucdavis!deneb!u557593877ea@ucb-vax.arpa
(UUCP)   ...!{ucbvax,dual}!ucdavis!deneb!u557593877ea

Ghenis.pasa@XEROX.ARPA (10/15/85)

Think twice about getting BDS C: it may compile very fast, but it is
non-standard enough to make porting a pain. If you have no intention of
ever recompiling your code on another system that's fine, otherwise...

More standard low price compilers for CP/M are C/80 with Mathpak
(produces very efficient code) and Q/C (comes with source code!) among
others. MIX C was been prematurely anounced at $39.95 three months ago
and they aren't shipping yet (hmm...).

Check the C compiler reviews in Dr. Dobbs, Byte and Computer Language
for some very complete info.

jans@mako.UUCP (Jan Steinman) (10/19/85)

In article <2130@brl-tgr.ARPA> Ghenis.pasa@XEROX.ARPA writes:
>...MIX C was been prematurely anounced at $39.95 three months ago
>and they aren't shipping yet (hmm...).

Agreed, it was prematurly anounced, by they *are* shipping.  Someone I
worked with just got his copy.  Some time ago, I posted a favorable
review for the MIX editor.  In all my spare time :-) I plan to evaluate
the MIX compiler, also.

--
:::::: Artificial   Intelligence   Machines   ---   Smalltalk   Project ::::::
:::::: Jan Steinman		Box 1000, MS 61-405	(w)503/685-2956 ::::::

jb@terak.UUCP (John Blalock) (10/21/85)

>   I am interested in purchasing a C compiler and am consider the BDS compiler.
> I am using a Z80 system with CP/M80.  I would appreciate any thoughts or
> experiances on this or other low-priced compilers (under $200).
> Thanks in advance...

Be sure to check out the MIX C compiler.  When I called in my VISA order about
4 weeks ago, the CPM-80 version was ~3 weeks from shipping, seems they wanted to
update it to include features they'd added to the IBM-PC version.  I received
the CPM-80 version last week along with a very excellent manual.  The tutorial
is the best written introduction to C that I've found and I've looked at and/or
purchased many.  Now if the compiler is anywhere near as good as the manual...

John Blalock, W7AAY

uucp:	 ...{amd,decvax,hao,ihnp4,seismo}!noao!terak!jb
phone:	 (602) 998-4800
us mail: CalComp Display Products Division (formerly Terak Corporation)
         14151 N. 76th St., Scottsdale, AZ 85260