Date: 11 Oct 85 16:46:00 PST
From: nep.pgelhausen@AMES-VMSB.ARPA
Subject: --- re: find first/next ---
To: info-cpm@AMSAA.ARPA

I tried sending this directly, but the mailer had some problems
w/ what I thought the address was, so re. the find/next problem:

If you can print the names properly, I would suggest COPYING
each name as find next finds them, then after all names have
been found use your list of file names to open each of them.

                              -Richard Hartman
                              max.hartman@ames-vmsb
------
------

----- Forwarded message # 2:

From: Tom Almy <toma%tekchips.uucp@BRL.ARPA>
Newsgroups: net.micro.cpm
Subject: Re: Looking for WATFOR compiler
Date: 10 Oct 85 14:31:32 GMT
To:       info-cpm@AMSAA.ARPA

In article <1953@brl-tgr.ARPA> Kushall.henr@XEROX.ARPA writes:
>WATFOR stands for WATerlooFORtran and is an interactive Fortran interputer.
>It was developed by Waterloo University in Canada.
>
>The first machine to use it was the Commadore 9000 (Super PET).
>I don't know if ever was made available for any other machines.
>
>Ed

Gee, I used WATFOR in 1968 on an IBM 360.  They (Univ. of Waterloo) also
released in about that time frame WATFIV (WATerloo Fortran IV) and a
terrific Assembler.  I was very impressed with their compilers.

Tom

----- Forwarded message # 3:

From: Chuck McManis <cem%intelca.uucp@BRL.ARPA>
Newsgroups: net.micro.cpm
Subject: Re: A way to read 48 tpi disks on 96 tpi drives?
Date: 11 Oct 85 15:21:24 GMT
To:       info-cpm@AMSAA.ARPA

> I am getting a new computer and need to decide whether to get 96 tpi drives
> or 48 tpi drives.  I know I get double the storage with 96 tpi, but I also
> give up disk compatability with them don't I?  Is there a way I could
> read/write a 48 tpi disks on a 96 tpi machine.  (The system is question
> is the new SB180 system described in Byte.)  Can other systems write disks
> for these drives?

The Ampro can read 48TPI disks on 96TPI drives, and since Joe Wright wrote
the BIOS for the SB180 and is/was heavily involved in the Ampro software I
suspect the SB180 will also support this capability. Another solution is
to spend the $20 for a single sided 48TPI drive and use it as a spare for
compatibility purposes.

--Chuck

--
                                            - - - D I S C L A I M E R - - -
{ihnp4,fortune}!dual\                     All opinions expressed herein are my

----- Forwarded message # 4:

Date: Mon, 14 Oct 85 14:06:16 edt
From: Alan Gunderson <asg0%gte-labs.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
To: info-cpm@amsaa.csnet
Subject: SB180 & Tandon half-height drives

You can get one Tandon half-height drive to work with a SB180 system
by jumpering it so that the drive is selected all the time.  It should
also be jumpered so that the 'Motor On' function is NOT controlled by
the drive selection, i.e., the seperate 'Motor On' signal line is
used.  Having the drive selected all the time precludes the use of
multiple drives.  There appears to be a strange timing incompatability
between the disk controller on the SB180 and the Tandon drives.  I
think I may have to peel the drive select lines coming out of the disk
controller off and run them into some special circuitry and then into
the Tandon drives to be able to use multiple drives.  For now, I at
least can boot ZRDOS and make back ups.  Be informed that the Tandon
drives don't support the READY line.  You must jumper the JP6
selection on the SB180.  I installed a switch on this jumper, so that
I can get to the SB180 monitor.  When JP6 is wired permanently, the
monitor thinks the drive is always ready, and thus tries to autoboot.
You can fix this be reburning a new monitor PROM, but I haven't gotten
around to this yet.

====Alan Gunderson
uucp:  ...!seismo!harvard!bunny!asg0
csnet: asg0%gte-labs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

----- Forwarded message # 5:

From: Bob Halloran <bobh%pedsgd.uucp@BRL.ARPA>
Newsgroups: net.micro.cpm
Date: 11 Oct 85 12:14:20 GMT
To:       info-cpm@AMSAA.ARPA

In article <2229@sdcc6.UUCP> ir320@sdcc6.UUCP (ir320) writes:
>I am getting a new computer and need to decide whether to get 96 tpi drives
>or 48 tpi drives.  I know I get double the storage with 96 tpi, but I also
>give up disk compatability with them don't I?  Is there a way I could
>read/write a 48 tpi disks on a 96 tpi machine.  (The system is question
>is the new SB180 system described in Byte.)  Can other systems write disks
>for these drives?

A 96tpi drive CAN read disks written on a 48tpi drive; the second part
of the construction article for that same SB180 implies as much.  The
BIOS needs some extra code to realize it must double-step for these
disk formats.  The major problem as I understand it is that in writing,
the 96tpi drive lays down a narrower 'track' than the 48tpi drive (makes
sense), which may either get lost against a previously written 'wide'
track if the disk has been used before in a 48tpi drive, or simply be
too narrow for the 48tpi drive's head to get a useful signal from.

Hope this helps.

                                                            Bob Halloran
                                                            Sr MTS, Perkin-Elmer DSG
UUCP: {decvax, ucbvax, most Action Central}!vax135\
                               {topaz, pesnta, princeton}!petsd!pedsgd!bobh
ARPA: petsd!pedsgd!bobh@topaz
USPS: 106 Apple St M/S 305, Tinton Falls NJ 07724
DDD: (201) 758-7000
Disclaimer: My opinions are my own.
Quote: "It's Reagan's fault.  Everything's Reagan's fault.  Floods...
   volcanoes...  herpes... Reagan's fault." -- Editor Overbeek, Bloom Beacon

----- End of forwarded messages