[net.micro.cpm] Classified ads

hestenes@sdcsla.UUCP (Eric Hestenes) (09/29/85)

> REF: Msg by Jack H. Smith on classified ads in mail.

What exactly is an unwanted ad?

Is it a For Sale ad, or is it a request for the latest version of MODEM ?
Is it and ad that implies exchange of cash, or exchange of floppies?

Is this group therefore just for technical info, and not a place to
connect with other users?

It seems silly to forbid most ads for personal entities ( not commmercial
entities ) because they mostly involve give and take between legitimately
interested parties. The primary assumption of the "personal" ad here is that
the ad will be used on one occasion, e.g. to get rid of your cpm system.
Abuses therefore include only those people who try to get rid of more than
a few of an item ( "I've got 300,000 cpm systems to get rid of and a special
rate for net people" ).

the whole point of using the net is that it allows you to interact with people
with a common interest. If you take out the common interest variable by
placing the ad in a general-purpose mailing group, then you defeat this
purpose.

Ads that did not relate to cpm *would* be objectionable.

eric

[ these views are my own, not the views of my employer. ]
arpanet: hestenes@nprdc.ARPA
other: ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdcsla!hestenes or hestenes@sdcsla.UUCP

edelheit@MITRE.ARPA (Jeff Edelheit) (10/03/85)

Eric - Since I started the discussion, I'd like to reply to your comments.

There were several reasons for the establishment of the ARPANET.  First, and
foremost, was to develop the concept of packet switching.  Once you could do
that, it seemed that a logical use was to foster communications of technical
issues between interested parties.  Requests for help in bringing-up the
latest version of a package (proprietary or public domain) is valid.  Comments
on the use of a proprietary object (software, hardware) are valid, as well, in
my opinion, the experiences had with a commercial vendor (I have had a bad
experience with XYZ, Inc).  All of these topics allow for the passing of
information between interested parties.  I, for one, would like to know that
if you buy a product from XYZ for either employment/research or
personal-related work, the kind of support you might get from the vendor.

The ARPANET was not intended for use as an advertising medium for either
commercial concerns or individuals to sell goods and/or services.

My comments are based on the idea that ARPANET is a DoD-funded activity, not
funded and supported by the private sector.  The above comments are strictly
personal and do not reflect those of either my employer, DoD or any other
government agency.

Jeff Edelheit
(edelheit@mitre.arpa)

ABN.ISCAMS@USC-ISID.ARPA (10/07/85)

For what it's worth...

I concur with Jeff's comments on inappropriateness of private or any
other ads on the ARPANet.  (I'm sure DoD is vastly reassured and encouraged
by that.)

But I would hate to lose the ties/links with those other nets that work
with us on the ARPANet who DO permit these adds.  Regrettably, some people's
distribution schemas will shoot ads across to us .. a good application for
AI maybe?  To filter them out?  Any messages with "FOR SALE", "CHEAP",
"SUCH A DEAL"?

Regards,
David Kirschbaum
ABN.ISCAMS@USC-ISID
(and this net is my ONLY affiliation with the Govt except for my retirement
check and income taxes, so no disclaimers are required.)

hestenes@sdcsla.UUCP (Eric Hestenes) (10/07/85)

> Eric - Since I started the discussion, I'd like to reply to your comments.

> information between interested parties.  I, for one, would like to know that
> if you buy a product from XYZ for either employment/research or
> personal-related work, the kind of support you might get from the vendor.

I don't know what you mean here.

> The ARPANET was not intended for use as an advertising medium for either
> commercial concerns or individuals to sell goods and/or services.

I agree. However, part of the problems being encountered stem from the
fact that arpanet people want to share *extensively* with non-arpa people.
This implicitly implies an exchange of information that goes beyond purely
military activities. If you throw out many ads, you're throwing the clothes
out with the bathwater. Essentially, I agree that ads, under the proclaimed
goals of arpa, are against the rules. However, banning some ads will
certainly harm the goals of arpa, namely, increased, effective interaction
with the defense support community ( note, not only the dod itself, since if
this were the goal they could cut the lines or use the darpa ( not arpa )
network. )

When I post an ad to a non-arpa newsgroup, is it my fault that someone
automatically forwards it to every defense site? No, as long as i am not
violating the rules of the local newsgroup, i can't be to blame. Rather,
it is the group of arpa folks who crave and subcribe to this newsgroup that
have asked for extra baloney.

Of course, when the ads violate non-arpa standards, then the poster is to
blame. But that debate also belongs to the users of the lan, not the
incidental subscribers from the arpanet.

I hope i haven't infuriated to many generals by writing this stuff, since
it is fairly political by nature. Can we agree to disagree? I still think that
no matter what, one must abide by the rules of the community of users, and
that there is a place for compromise for mutually benefitting parties.

------------
Eric Hestenes
arpanet: hestenes@nprdc.ARPA
other: ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdcsla!hestenes or hestenes@sdcsla.UUCP
[ all opinions are my own and are not related to those of my employer ]

WANCHO@SIMTEL20.ARPA (Frank J. Wancho) (10/16/85)

Eric,

    When I post an ad to a non-arpa newsgroup, is it my fault that
    someone automatically forwards it to every defense site?  No, as
    long as i am not violating the rules of the local newsgroup, i
    can't be to blame.  Rather, it is the group of arpa folks who
    crave and subcribe to this newsgroup that have asked for extra
    baloney.

You have it backwards.  For the record, I started INFO-CPM at MIT-MC
as an ARPANET mailing list spinoff of INFO-MICRO on 29 August 1980.
The uucp newgroup was subsequently created to subscribe to this list.
The same sequence occurred earlier when I resurrected INFO-MICRO after
it had become dormant for about a year.  There are several other
newsgroups with similar ARPANET origins, such as HUMAN-NETS, the first
digest format mailing list and SF-LOVERS.

One of the reasons that several mailing lists went to digest format
was to filter out such for-sale messages to save the list from being
disbanded.  Over the years, both INFO-CPM and INFO-MICRO lists have
been occassionally hit with for-sale messages, with the subsequent
flurry of messages reminding people of the restrictions imposed on the
ARPA community and redirecting the poster to the apparently little
known and used for-sale or wanted newsgroups.  At times, there is even
a suggestion that these lists be converted to digest format to filter
for-sale messsages.  Unfortunately, no one wants to volunteer as the
burnout rate for moderators of high-volume lists is also high.

You ask if we can agree to disagree.  The answer is no.  For sale
message to newsgroups such as INFO-CPM and INFO-MICRO will not be
tolerated.  For-sale messages leaking into what is now called DDN
(Defense Data Network) is quite a serious matter.  There is mention of
it in netiquette, which every potential poster to a newsgroup should
read.  The consequences on the DDN side if users from a particular
host do not observe this restriction is to pull their connection from
the net.  This has never actually happened, but it has come close on
more than one occassion in the early years.  The consequences on the
uucp side is to drop the gateway.  We do not wish to do that.  But if
you insist on ignoring our restrictions, we have no choice.

--Frank

hestenes@sdcsla.UUCP (Eric Hestenes) (10/18/85)

> --Frank says:
>
> You have it backwards.  For the record, I started INFO-CPM at MIT-MC

> The same sequence occurred earlier when I resurrected INFO-MICRO after
> it had become dormant for about a year.  There are several other
> newsgroups with similar ARPANET origins, such as HUMAN-NETS, the first

I don't debate the order of events or event the role of the arpanet in
fostering interest in various areas. You win that battle, though you don't win
them all in this area.

> You ask if we can agree to disagree.  The answer is no.  For sale
> message to newsgroups such as INFO-CPM and INFO-MICRO will not be
> tolerated.  For-sale messages leaking into what is now called DDN
> (Defense Data Network) is quite a serious matter.  There is mention of

Why is it serious? Or rather, to whom is it serious to?

> it in netiquette, which every potential poster to a newsgroup should

Which i have read.

> read.  The consequences on the DDN side if users from a particular
> host do not observe this restriction is to pull their connection from
> the net.  This has never actually happened, but it has come close on
> more than one occassion in the early years.  The consequences on the
> uucp side is to drop the gateway.  We do not wish to do that.  But if
> you insist on ignoring our restrictions, we have no choice.

I'd really like to hear a definition of net.micro.cpm that doesn't include
INFO-CPM. Are they one and the same group? Or are they different?
This issue goes beyond ad postings. The meat of it is, who calls the shots.
Does arpanet call the shots in usenet newsgroups? It appears so. If this is
the case, then let's just admit it once and for all.

Also, if this group is gateway'd to arpa, why isn't it called fa.info-cpm
rather than net.micro.cpm. Or even better, mail.info-cpm?
On usenet, this *is* the ettiquite. Or am I mistaken?

Overall, you totally miss the point.

If a usenet newsgroup allows ads ( e.g. na.for-sale ) and those ads
are forwarded all over the DDN, who ( as a result ) deserves to be yanked off
of the net - the poster or the person who made the connection?
It's a chicken or the egg problem, except among certain net historians and
finger pointers.

-------
The answer obviously lies in negotiation and observing the tendancies that
will best help *both* newsgroups.
-------

And it is here that I think we should
agree to disagree on . I think limited ads are useful, even for arpanet
types, and certainly for non-arpa types. This is a *philosophical* stance, not a
*political* one.  Politically, you guys win. After all, Mr DoD pays my paycheck
also.  ( After i've paid him, of course ). Believe me, I know the rules and try
to abide by them.

But the issue over whether there is a legitimate advantage in terms of
communication in using one forum versus the other is just not settled!
You don't decide what is best, you explore and find out! Just like with
television and radio, it is not possible to foresee all the ways a medium
may be used. I personally would like to see many, many more people use
networks like this if only for the reason that it makes certain kinds of
activities easier to accomplish. And I don't think that this can happen
without cost, but what other major technologies didn't get started in the
defense sector?  I am pro-technology and pro-effective communication,
not anti-arpa. Peek at the larger issue, rather than the most obvious
( and redundant ) interpretation.

But aside from the noise here, this discussion was
old  before it started. I give up.
No hard feelings, I hope.

eric

---
I'm thankful to say that these opinions have nothing to do with those of my
employer. They are mine only.

W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA (Keith Petersen) (10/19/85)

Eric, there is a bottom line to all this.  If the ads continue, the
gateway between net.micro.cpm and INFO-CPM will be discontinued.  I
don't think any of us want to see that.  We ALL gain a lot by the free
flow of information and ideas between readers on both networks.

Many net.micro.cpm readers have told me that they value my
announcements of new public-domain software as it becomes available,
even though they cannot access SIMTEL20.  They know that MOST of the
new files are available either on their local RCPM or my RCPM Royal
Oak (MI).

I suggest we terminate this discussion before someone decides to pull
the gateway.  It's pointless to argue who is right.

--Keith Petersen
Arpa:  W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA
uucp:  ...!seismo!SIMTEL20.ARPA!W8SDZ
uucp:  ...!{decvax,unc,hao,cbosgd,seismo,aplvax,uci}!brl-bmd!w8sdz
uucp:  ...!{ihnp4!cbosgd,cmcl2!esquire}!brl-bmd!w8sdz

Doland.PA@XEROX.ARPA (10/22/85)

Can you direct me on how to get a copy of the document "Netiquette"
mentioned in your reply to Eric Hestenes.  I am relatively new to the
net.

-----Charlie Doland

<Doland.pa@XEROX.ARPA>

rbt@sftig.UUCP (R.Thomas) (10/25/85)

> Eric, there is a bottom line to all this.  If the ads continue, the
> gateway between net.micro.cpm and INFO-CPM will be discontinued.  I
> don't think any of us want to see that.  We ALL gain a lot by the free
> flow of information and ideas between readers on both networks.
>
> --Keith Petersen

Why can't the gateway be moderated?  This is being done for a lot of
ARPAnet groups as we watch (read net.announce).  The moderator would be
able to forward only those articles from net.micro.cpm that s/he felt were
appropriate.  Needless to say, there is probably much less that originates
on the ARPAnet that  net.micro.cpm readers would be offended by, but that
could be deleted too.

Rick Thomas

PS  I would volunteer to do the moderation, if somebody would fix me up
with an account on an ARPAnet machine that I could get to via a local phone
call...

ihnp4!attunix!rbt
(201)-522-6062

NBaheti.es@XEROX.ARPA (10/27/85)

I don't think that a moderated system is the answer to the problem.
On the Xerox system we don't get many (we get a few but not enough to
bothersome) ads because we have mailing lists intended for them a-
lone. There is a JunkMail and WantAds list for those who are interested
in receiving the mail. This is probably the best solution, because it
keeps all parties satisfied.

--Arun Baheti
  NBaheti.es@Xerox