[net.micro.cpm] WordStar to ASCII

BEBO%SLACVM.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA (11/07/85)

Date: 7 November 1985, 08:47:51 PST
From: Bebo White                (415) 854-3300 x2907 BEBO     at SLACVM
To:   INFO-CPM at AMSAA.ARPA
Subject: WordStar to ASCII

Does anyone have a program/utility that I can run on my CompuPro 816
to convert WordStar files to straight ASCII?

Thanks in advance for your help.

                               Bebo White
                               Stanford Linear Accelerator Center

generous@lll-tis-b.ARPA (Curtis C. Generous) (11/07/85)

In article <15584@styx.UUCP> you write:
>(From: BEBO%SLACVM.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA)
>

>Date: 7 November 1985, 08:47:51 PST
>From: Bebo White                (415) 854-3300 x2907 BEBO     at SLACVM
>To:   INFO-CPM at AMSAA.ARPA
>Subject: WordStar to ASCII
>
>Does anyone have a program/utility that I can run on my CompuPro 816
>to convert WordStar files to straight ASCII?
>
>Thanks in advance for your help.
>
>                               Bebo White
>                               Stanford Linear Accelerator Center

There is a utility program which is part of the TURBO POWER
TOOLS which does exactly what you want.  I can't seem to find
the source code anywhere, but if I do, I will be glad to tell
you exactly how it is done.
If my memory does not fail me, you might want to try this
command, which I suspect might also work:

    PIP  ascii.fil = wordstar.fil [Z]

The Z option masks out the most significant bit from the
source file.  I believe that WS uses that bit for it's
internal use.  Let me know if this works.

                           -Curtis-

Curtis C. Generous
generous@lll-tis-b.ARPA
{akgua,allegra,cbosgd,decwrl,dual,ihnp4,sun}!idi!styx!generous
Tel: (415) 422-6907
Lawrence Livermore National Lab
Dept L-275
POB 808
Lawrence,  CA  94550

While we're at it, does anyone know of a program to take a text and convert
it into a WS file, with all the proper E-O-Paragraphs in the right places
and such?  Please respond by mail to:

   seismo!umcp-cs!mangoe  or mangoe@mimsy.umd.edu (for ARPA fans)

Charley Wingate

edelheit@MITRE.ARPA (Jeff Edelheit) (11/08/85)

Re the [Z] option:  It works and works very well.  Another positive thing
that can be said about CP/M rather than PC/MS-DOS.  (Was I suprised to
find that DOS didn't offer the same option.)

Jeff Edelheit
(edelheit@mitre)

treid@mitre.ARPA (Thomas Reid) (11/08/85)

There are two files that you want, both found on simtel20 in the
pd:<cpm.txtutl> directory.  They are ensoft.com and unsoft1c.lbr.

unsoft will remove soft spaces, end-of-lines, hyphens, etc. and convert
or lose dot commands.  Much more powerful than using pip to strip off
high order bits.

ensoft will take a plain text file and put the soft spaces and line feeds
back in.  Also useful.  I use both all the time.

You might also look at the fil*.* files in the same directory.  They are the
Irv Hoff filter commands which do much the same.

These are cp/m 80 .com files and thus will work on the 8 side of your 816.

bob@multivu.UUCP (Bob Hutson) (11/10/85)

In article <2961@brl-tgr.ARPA> BEBO%SLACVM.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA writes:
>Does anyone have a program/utility that I can run on my CompuPro 816
>to convert WordStar files to straight ASCII?

This is untested but ...

    I believe that WordStar can generate ``straight ASCII'' by
    itself. I am not in a position to test this, but as I recall,
    WordStar can ``print'' a file to another file. The resulting
    file may very well be what you're looking for.

--

			~ bob

	Bob Hutson
	MultiView Systems, San Jose, CA, 95132
	{ucbvax,decwrl}!dual!vecpyr!altos86!multivu!bob

tom@utcsri.UUCP (Tom Nadas) (11/11/85)

Use PIP.COM:

A>PIP ASCII.FIL=WS.FIL[Z]

RJS in Toronto
c/o
--

					Tom Nadas

UUCP:   {decvax,linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,allegra,utzoo}!utcsri!tom
CSNET:  tom@toronto

edelheit@MITRE.ARPA (Jeff Edelheit) (11/12/85)

Bob - if you haven't done any character enhancement, you are correct.
However, if you want underscores, bold, etc.  It doesn't really
work that well.

Jeff Edelheit
(edelheit@mitre)

shor@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Melinda Shore) (11/12/85)

[]
> From: bob@multivu.UUCP (Bob Hutson)
>    I believe that WordStar can generate ``straight ASCII'' by
>    itself. I am not in a position to test this, but as I recall,
>    WordStar can ``print'' a file to another file. The resulting
>    file may very well be what you're looking for.

Printing to disk expands the dot commands and makes basic line- and
page-end decisions, but leaves high bits on.  It doesn't get rid of
control characters (^S, ^B, etc.), either.

--
Melinda Shore                               ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!shor
University of Chicago Computation Center    Staff.Melinda%chip@UChicago.Bitnet

"Beavers, by teamwork family life!"    [Dr. Bronner]

talmy@RAND-UNIX.ARPA (Shel Talmy) (11/17/85)

Wordstar will certainly print out a ASCII file, which can also
be accessed under the non-document mode.

talmy@RAND-UNIX.ARPA (Shel Talmy) (11/18/85)

I've had to resend this, for whatever reson.  It didn't take the
first time, so please excuse the strange way it's getting there...if it does.

My reply was that Wordstar certainly will print a ASCII
file, & it can be accessed via the non-document mode.
Hope it helps.