[net.micro.cpm] Where can one get Wordstar for CPM3 ?

pierson@AMSAA.ARPA (03/12/86)

I am a relatively new member of this net and am trying to obtain a copy of
wordstar for my Commodore 128.  It comes with CPM 3.0.  I have called DS
and they informed me that the most current version they had of wordstar was
under CPM 2.2 on an 8" disk. Questions follow:

1.  Can CPM 3.0 operate, with full compatability, CPM 2.2 software? (Given that
    it is on a 5 1/4" format)

2.  Where can I get wordstar for CPM?

I am getting ready to attend a military school in June and a good word processor
is necessary.  No flames please since my wife is to attend the school also and
she is already familiar with wordstar.  (I was given an ultimatum either I get
wordstar or I do all the word processing for the both of us!)

Thanks in advvance.

Jim

treid@MITRE.ARPA (03/13/86)

My bet is that almost anything working under cp/m 2.2 will work under 3.0.
Otherwise, no one would buy 3.0.  The best place to find a legal copy would
be to look in magazines that cater to the 128 and find a mail order house
that has ported the favorites over.

You might try MicroPro to see if they have a 128 version, but they, along
with Digital Research and the rest, have abandoned cp/m 80.  They will
probably still take your money if you force them.

mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Tom Keller) (03/14/86)

In article <1752@brl-smoke.ARPA>, treid@MITRE.ARPA writes:
> My bet is that almost anything working under cp/m 2.2 will work under 3.0.
> Otherwise, no one would buy 3.0.

   Unfortunately, this is not correct.  Any *PROPERLY* written software that
runs under CP/M 2.2 will probably operate under 3.0.  Software which breaks
the rules of good CP/M programming practice and make direct BIOS calls,
however, will probably not work (though some will with the use of a PD
RSX available through the user's group network).  Also, many programs that
manipulate the disk directories may fail, as DRI modified some of the directory
manipulation structures, and also the banking creates a situation where some
of the information on disks & directories which CP/M 2.2 expects to find in
RAM is actuall in a switched-out bank.  Thus, programs that use this information
have to understand about CP/M 3 bank switching.

   Personally, I despise CP/M 2.2, and find CP/M 3.0 marginally acceptable.
As it came with a system purchased for me by an employer to increase my
productivity, I have it.  I probably would not have purchased it myself.

--

====================================

Disclaimer:  I hereby disclaim any and all responsibility for disclaimers.

tom keller
{ihnp4, dual}!ptsfa!gilbbs!mc68020

(* we may not be big, but we're small! *)

aptr@ur-tut.UUCP (The Wumpus) (03/14/86)

> I am a relatively new member of this net and am trying to obtain a copy of
> wordstar for my Commodore 128.  It comes with CPM 3.0.  I have called DS
> and they informed me that the most current version they had of wordstar was
> under CPM 2.2 on an 8" disk. Questions follow:
>
> 1.  Can CPM 3.0 operate, with full compatability, CPM 2.2 software? (Given that
>     it is on a 5 1/4" format)
>
> 2.  Where can I get wordstar for CPM?

From my breif experience with CPM 3.0 (I did a little testing of it for
Xerox a few years ago)  I discovered that everything I was using under
version 2.2 worked well under version 3.0.   The disk format should make
no difference in how the system is run except for the amount of storage
that is available on a disk (the previous is not quite true, but it is
good enough as far as the normal user is concerned,  No flames, further
questions about the difference are accepted).

In regards to WS.  I would suggest that you try your freindly neighborhood
computer store, or mail order computer store.  WS should be available in
almost every format of CP/m by now.  You may have to do some installation
of it to get the terminal drivers right on your computer.  If you can't
find a 5.25" version, there are many places that will transfer between
media for a small sum of money.  You may also try to find a person
who has both 8 and 2.25" drives and can write on the 5.25" disk in a
format that your computer can read.  All 8" single sided, single density
CP/m disks are interchangable, but not all 5.25" disks, or even other formats
of 8" disks.  I may be talked into doing the conversion for you if
it is necessary, but I make no time guarantees.  I have access to a Xerox
820-II and a Xerox 16/8PC with both 8" and 5.25" drives, but I have to
be home to use it, and being at college for a good part of
the year limits my use of it.

If you have any other questions, please send me e-mail.

The Wumpus                  UUCP:   allegra!rochester!ur-tut!aptr
                            BITNET: aptrccss@uorvm

jb@terak.UUCP (John Blalock) (03/24/86)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> 1.  Can CPM 3.0 operate, with full compatability, CPM 2.2 software?
>     (Given that it is on a 5 1/4" format)

Yes, most software for CP/M 2.x will run under CP/M 3.0, including WordStar.

> 2.  Where can I get wordstar for CPM?

The local Federated TV/Stero/Computer discount stores are offering WordStar
with MailMerge for $399 on a special sale this week.  The installation files
for WordStar are included.  Also included are the following packages at no
extra cost:  ReportStar, CalcStar, DataStar, CP/M 2.2, and a Bondwell 12
portable (sic) computer.  You'd probably have to use a serial transfer
protocol to get the software on disks compatible with your Commodore.  If
you don't want the "free" computer, I'll be happy to take it! :-)

The Bondwell 12 has a 4 MHz Z80A, 64K RAM, two SSDD 5.25" floppy disk drives
(TEC, 765 controller), a full ASCII keyboard with separate numeric keypad and
16 user-definable function keys, 9-inch amber CRT (6845), two RS232C serial
ports (Z80A SIO/8253 baud rate generator), a parallel port (6821), and speech
synthesis capability.  Comes with program to allow SSDD disks in Kaypro,
Osborne, and IBM PC formats to be used.  Size, weight, etc.  are compatible
with the Osborne/Kaypro portables.  Looks like it is a Hong-Kong Kaypro 2
clone.  It also comes with a neat speech program that lets you type in
sentences which it will then speak back to you.  Can also voice annotate
prepared files.  The speech is obviously computer-generated, but very
understandable.

Someone asked on the net earlier about a tool to help the speech-impaired.
The Bondwell 12 may just be the answer...

I need another CP/M computer about as much as a hole in the head, but in a
weak moment, I purchased one of these machines last Saturday.  Only problem so
far is that no real technical info comes with the package.  You do get full
manuals on all the MicroPro packages plus the latest versions of DRI's CP/M
2.2 manual and command summary booklet.  The manual on the computer itself is
oriented towards the inexperienced, non-technical user.  I have found that a
technical manual with schematics is available from Bondwell for $25, BIOS on
disk is $10.  Even without the technical manual, I have done some sleuthing
around and have been able to modify the excellent MXO-KP43.ASM file (Kaypro
uses the Z80 SIO but a different baud rate generator) and I now have a working
overlay for MEX 1.14.

Features I don't like about the machine:  SSDD 5.25" disks are small, the
Bondwell format provides only 170K/disk.  The feel and size of the keyboard
are less than ideal and the key layout is more like a TTY instead of the more
common VT100/Selectric layout.  There is no fan in the unit and it gets
warmer than I'd like to see for extended reliability.  The video display uses
a good font, with decenders, looks ADM3 compatible, but doesn't support
half-intensity.

Obviously (I hope), I have no connection with Bondwell International.
With only 2 days experience with the package, I hesitate to give it any
strong recommendation, but how can you beat it for the price?

John Blalock, W7AAY

uucp:	 ...{noao,decvax,savax,ihnp4,seismo}!terak!jb
phone:	 (602) 998-4800
us mail: CalComp Display Products Division (formerly Terak Corporation)
         14151 N. 76th St., Scottsdale, AZ 85260