[net.micro.cpm] Z80 Debugger

STEVEH@mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (06/07/83)

From:  Stephen C. Hill <STEVEH@mit-mc>

I'm relatively new at this game, but I have been using ZSID
which (as far as I can tell) is the Z80 version of SID (which I
don't have.)  The commands are very much like DDT, except that
A and L will process Zilog mnemonics.  What I would like to get
is a package that disassembles to/from disk and sets up EQUates
on output, so that the file can be read back into M80 or some
other Z-80 assembler.  I'm fortunate to be running a LOBO
MAX-80, since I can use both CP/M and LDOS (an operating system
for the [gasp!!] TRS-80.)  What I have been doing so far is
transferring CP/M .com files over to LDOS and then using the
Misosys DISASM3 disassembler.  After I get an ASM file fixed to
my satisfaction, I transferr it back over to the CP/M side.  A
bit complicated, but it does work.  If you hear of any programs
that do what I am looking for, please drop me a message.
                            Thanks,
                             Steve

Eaton@HI-MULTICS.ARPA (11/24/84)

Digital Research offers two additional debuggers for CP/M other than
DDT.  SID and ZSID.  They are head and shoulders above DDT and similar
in command structure.  SID recognizes 8080 mneumonics while ZSID uses
Z80 mneumonics.  There is very little difference between SID and ZSID
aside from that.  Cost is somewhere around $75.  Well worth the cost if
you are a serious hacker.

If you are only interested in disassembling without the other features
you have grown to love in DDT then I would recommend DASM with the ZILOG
library.  It is my personal favorite disassembler.  You will need the
DOC file for RESOURCE, from which it originated, if you want to become
expert at using it.

DASM and RESOURCE are both in the PD.

Jesse (one instruction at a time) Eaton.HFED@HI-MULTICS

W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA (03/30/86)

    The s/w that you refer to is NOT in the referred place.  I
    tried getting it when it first was announced, but the  closest
    thing was a VERY anemic alternative called ZDBUG17.LBR.  Can
    you find this hummer??

    Sender: KPETERSEN@SIMTEL20.ARPA
    From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA>
    To:   Info-Cpm@BRL.ARPA
    Subject: Z8E - at last! a free Z80 debugger for CP/M

    Z8E - a Z80 DEBUGGING MONITOR has been released to the public (it's
    copyrighted but permission has been given for non-profit use).

Since that message was posted, the author was notified of some bugs
and he issued an update.  This has been in place here at SIMTEL20 for
quite some time in its own directory and has replaced the earlier
files.  The present directory listing (excerpted from CPM:<CPM.CRCLST>)
is:

Filename			Type	 Bytes	 CRC

Directory PD:<CPM.Z8EDEBUG>
Z8E.DQC.1			BINARY	 92672  A47FH