    Date: Mon, 24 Mar 86  4:01:56 EST
    From: "Glenn P. Viernes" <gviernes@BBNCCT.ARPA>
    To: info-apple@BRL-TGR.ARPA, info-cpm@AMSAA.ARPA
    Cc: gviernes@BBNCCT.ARPA
    Subject: Zilog Z80 assembler

    I'm a long time user, but I've been a cpm fan from the beginning.  I
    finally got the time to take an assembly language course, however the
    school provided assembler ties me to the school's computing facility
    and their inconvenient time schedule and limited work stations.  The
    instructor has also limited to the use of the Zilog mnuemonic standard.

    Does anybody know where I can get my hands on a reliable Zilog Z80
    assembler?

    My system is equipped with an Applied Engineering Z-80 Plus card.  No
    assembler was provided on the system disk.

    Thanks,

    Glenn

	      --------------------

Glenn,

There are at least a couple of Z80 assemblers in the SIMTEL20
archives.  Look in the directory PD:<CPM.ASM> (or something close
to that).

                                ...Dick

greg@utcsri.UUCP (Gregory Smith) (03/26/86)

In <2037@brl-smoke.ARPA> gviernes@BBNCCT.ARPA (Glenn P. Viernes) writes:
>Does anybody know where I can get my hands on a reliable Zilog Z80
>assembler?

I have used 2:
	UVMAC - from Software Toolworks, 14478 Glorietta Drive, Sherman Oaks,
	California, 91423 (213)986-4885
	[ warning : that address is circa 1980 ]
	A decent, straightforward few-frills absolute assembler for
	Zilog Z80 mnemonics. Two of the frills are a Macro facility and
	conditional assembly.

	M80 - from MicroSoft, 10700 Northup Way, Bellevue, Washington 98004
	(206) 828-8080 <= really.. :-)
	This is the Rolls-Royce of 8080 assemblers ( that I've seen ), and
	will also assemble Z80 mnemonics. All the macro and conditional
	assembly and listing control and etc. that your little heart could
	want. This is a relocatable assembler which produces an object
	module which must be linked using the supplied linker L80. It can
	also be linked with other modules, or with stuff from an object
	library, such as produced by the program LIB80, also supplied.
	( You can roll your own object libraries ).
	The sophistication can make it harder to learn - but well worth it
	if you are going to be writing a lot of code.
	M80, L80, and LIB80 are supplied with MicroSoft's compilers such as
	FORTRAN, COBOL and the MBASIC compiler. I guess you could get them
	separately.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with MicroSoft or The Software Toolworks
	other than having used their products. I do not stand to gain either
	from distributing this notice or from any sale of the above products.

As to reliability, I have used M80 enough to know that if there are any bugs
in M80 or L80, they are hiding pretty darn well. ( Actually, I know of a
couple of tiny problems with M80, but they only arise when your code is
incorrect in a very obscure way and I wouldn't sweat it ).

I haven't used UVMAC much, but it has never given me any trouble.

--
"No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn" -J. Morrison
Greg Smith     University of Toronto       ..!decvax!utzoo!utcsri!greg

ABN.ISCAMS@USC-ISID.ARPA (03/27/86)

Glenn,
I'd heartily recommend LASM (source available at SIMTEL20 in
PD:<CPM.ASMUTL> as:
LASM.COM
LASM.DOC
LASM2.AQM
LASM2.DOC
LASM3.LBR
)
Fine, fast 8080/Z80 assembler, only needs a little fiddling with
.ASM source for a few little differences.
Permits linking also .. we used it to assemble the CP/M Kermit
with no significant problems.

Regards,
David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall
ABN.ISCAMS@USC-ISID

jb@terak.UUCP (John Blalock) (03/28/86)

xxx
> Does anybody know where I can get my hands on a reliable Zilog Z80
> assembler?

Check out ZAS, the Z80 assembler package sold for $69 by Echelon.  Can
generate .HEX or .REL files, includes linker and 8080 to Z80 translator.

W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA (03/30/86)

A good public domain Z80 macro assembler is available.  Check out:

Filename			Type	 Bytes	 CRC

SIMTEL20 directory PD:<CPM.ASMUTL>
Z80MR.LBR.1			BINARY	 41344  B0D0H

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 because of network restrictions
please remember that MOST of the new files announced to Info-Cpm are
also available on my RCP/M Royal Oak (MI) which may be accessed at
300 bps (Bell 103a), 1200 bps (Bell 212a), or 2400 bps (V.22 bis).
The telephone number is (313) 759-6569.  They are also available from
the CPM RoundTable on General Electric Information Services' GEnie.

--Keith Petersen
Arpa:   W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA
GEmail: W8SDZ
uucp:   {ihnp4,allegra,cmcl2,dual,decvax,mcnc,mcvax,vax135}!seismo!w8sdz

mbate@ada-uts (04/02/86)

    I personally have Z80ASM from SLR systems, and I love it.  It cost $50.,
has full macro facilities, generates HEX, COM, or REL output, and is
super-fast.  Their linker is an additional $50, but there is also a public
domain linker (PROLINK, I think it's called) that was developed by
Night Owl software and used internally in the development of MEX.
    If, as I suspect, you don't need this much power, there is at least one
public domain Z80 assembler.  I think there is one that is also called Z80ASM
that handles macros but generates only HEX files.
    ZAS, from Echelon, is also a reasonable choice.  This package costs
$80 (I believe) and includes an assembler, linker, and librarian.  I have
not used ZAS but am told that it is much slower and fussier about its input
than Z80ASM from SLR.
   M80, from Microsoft, was still selling for $200, last time I heard. It's
slow and buggy.  It does, however, handle either Z80 or 8080 opcodes, unlike
the above, which handle only Z80.  M80 includes a linker and librarian.

   You should ask yourself what features you need in an assembler,
especially whether you need one that can generate relocatable code.

ral2@rayssd.UUCP (Roger A. Lema) (04/14/86)