[net.micro.cpm] BULLETIN BOARD STUFF

tom@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (04/21/86)

Hi all,

I'm looking for several peices of information:

I'm starting a financial affairs/venture capitalists bulletin board at home; I
am looking for good public domain bulletin board software for an APPLE IIe in
both CPM and DOS or PRODOS.

Any recommendations on regular (store bought) CPM or other bulletin board
packages for the APPLE IIe would be appreciated; send ANY comments, advice, or
experience trivia directly to me; I will summarize all to the nets.

ANY person who has direct experience setting up or running a BB would be
especially appreciated.

PART II

I was looking through a DAK catalog recently, and saw a MODEM PHONE (computer-
ized yellow pages they called it).  As part of the sales promo, they said they
had the address of a company that sold a directory of hundreds of bulletin
boards:   does anyone know what this company is and how to find them??

Anyone having lists or directories of bulletin boards, or who knows of a good
bulletin board - pleas write.

Thanks a lot,

Trevor O. McCarthy

The MITRE Corporation

spm@mb2c.UUCP (Steve Mazurek) (04/25/86)

> I was looking through a DAK catalog recently, and saw a MODEM PHONE (computer-
> ized yellow pages they called it).  As part of the sales promo, they said they
> had the address of a company that sold a directory of hundreds of bulletin
> boards:   does anyone know what this company is and how to find them??
>
> Anyone having lists or directories of bulletin boards, or who knows of a good
> bulletin board - pleas write.

I just happen to have this information:

	DAK Industries Incorporated
	8200 Remmet Ave.,
	Canoga Park, CA 91304

	Orders: (800) 325-0800

			Steven P. Mazurek
			(whereever I am)

mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Tom Keller) (04/28/86)

In article <678@mb2c.UUCP>, spm@mb2c.UUCP (Steve Mazurek) writes:

> > I was looking through a DAK catalog recently, and saw a MODEM PHONE (computer-
> > ized yellow pages they called it).  As part of the sales promo, they said they
> > had the address of a company that sold a directory of hundreds of bulletin
> > boards:   does anyone know what this company is and how to find them??
> >
> > Anyone having lists or directories of bulletin boards, or who knows of a good
> > bulletin board - pleas write.
> >

> I just happen to have this information:
>
> 	DAK Industries Incorporated
> 	8200 Remmet Ave.,
> 	Canoga Park, CA 91304
>
> 	Orders: (800) 325-0800

   I know innumerable peole who have made purchases from DAK.  In literally
*EVERY* case, they have been thouroughly displeased with the products and the
service offered by DAK.  The company will not make any effort to correct
problems, they will lie to you about schedules and anything else.

   Stay *AWAY* from them!

--
Disclaimer:  I hereby disclaim any and all responsibility for disclaimers.

tom keller
{ihnp4, dual}!ptsfa!gilbbs!mc68020

(* we may not be big, but we're small! *)

ables@mcc-pp.UUCP (King Ables) (04/29/86)

In article <209@gilbbs.UUCP>, mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Tom Keller) writes:

>    I know innumerable peole who have made purchases from DAK.  In literally
> *EVERY* case, they have been thouroughly displeased with the products and the
> service offered by DAK.  The company will not make any effort to correct
> problems, they will lie to you about schedules and anything else.
>
>    Stay *AWAY* from them!

This may be true for the people you know, but I've ordered 7 or 8 times
from them and been *generally* pleased.  The merchandise isn't HIGHEST
quality, but it doesn't claim to be... it claims to be neat-o gee-whiz
which it usually is.  The one time I had a problem with something
(I just didn't like it) I returned it and was sent a check very promptly.

Given ANY mail-order place, a certain number of people are going to have
trouble.  The trick is figuring out if that number is a significantly
large number.  Maybe your friends have been extra-unlucky.  Maybe I've
been extra lucky.  Hard to tell with just two examples.  You might
check with the BBB, usually they'll have something to say about any
company that has had significant complaints made against it.  Everyone
I know who has dealt with DAK seems to think they're OK.

-King
ARPA: ables@mcc.arpa
UUCP: {gatech,ihnp4,nbires,seismo,ucb-vax}!ut-sally!im4u!milano!mcc-pp!ables
---
Specific disclaimer: I am *only* a happy DAK customer, nothing more.
Generic disclaimer: Use only as directed, void where licensed or taxed.

ables@mcc-pp (04/30/86)

Subject: Re: BULLETIN BOARD STUFF (really DAK)

In article <209@gilbbs.UUCP>, mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Tom Keller) writes:

>    I know innumerable peole who have made purchases from DAK.  In literally
> *EVERY* case, they have been thouroughly displeased with the products and the
> service offered by DAK.  The company will not make any effort to correct
> problems, they will lie to you about schedules and anything else.
>
>    Stay *AWAY* from them!

This may be true for the people you know, but I've ordered 7 or 8 times
from them and been *generally* pleased.  The merchandise isn't HIGHEST
quality, but it doesn't claim to be... it claims to be neat-o gee-whiz
which it usually is.  The one time I had a problem with something
(I just didn't like it) I returned it and was sent a check very promptly.

Given ANY mail-order place, a certain number of people are going to have
trouble.  The trick is figuring out if that number is a significantly
large number.  Maybe your friends have been extra-unlucky.  Maybe I've
been extra lucky.  Hard to tell with just two examples.  You might
check with the BBB, usually they'll have something to say about any
company that has had significant complaints made against it.  Everyone
I know who has dealt with DAK seems to think they're OK.

-King
ARPA: ables@mcc.arpa
UUCP: {gatech,ihnp4,nbires,seismo,ucb-vax}!ut-sally!im4u!milano!mcc-pp!ables
---
Specific disclaimer: I am *only* a happy DAK customer, nothing more.
Generic disclaimer: Use only as directed, void where licensed or taxed.

tom@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (04/30/86)

Hi all:

Recently I sent out a message concerning DAK and a Modem Phone, and Bulletin
Boards.  I got back a lot of responses about DAK and how good or bad they
were.

I must have asked my question wrong.  The company I rquested information about
was NOT DAK, but the company that DAK's promo on the modem phone mentions.
The ad for the modem phone says that DAK will send the name of a company that
sells a major Bulletin Board directory (if you buy their modem phone).

What I wanted was information about the company that printed the directory,
and where I could get it, not about DAK itself...sorry for the mix-up.

Does anybody Know the name of this company?

Thanks,

Trevor O. McCarthy

The MITRE Corporation

kucharsk@puff.UUCP (William Kucharski) (05/01/86)

In article <209@gilbbs.UUCP>, mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Tom Keller) writes:
>    I know innumerable peole who have made purchases from DAK.  In literally
> *EVERY* case, they have been thouroughly displeased with the products and the
> service offered by DAK.  The company will not make any effort to correct
> problems, they will lie to you about schedules and anything else.
>
>    Stay *AWAY* from them!
>
> --
> Disclaimer:  I hereby disclaim any and all responsibility for disclaimers.
>
> tom keller
> {ihnp4, dual}!ptsfa!gilbbs!mc68020

Well, my friends and I have spent a combined total of over $4000 on purchases
from DAK and don't have one bad thing to say about them.  The majority of
what they sell works great, and what doesn't perform up to your expectations
DAK takes back without any problems whatsoever.  My friend bought a printer
from them that he found he didn't like - DAK took it back, no problem.
Another had a problem with his Cerwin-Vega subwoofer; DAK said to send it
back.  He did and soon received a NEW one (not repaired.)  And as for schedules,
I ordered an equalizer from DAK.  They took a little over 2 weeks, so I called
their toll-free line.  I asked about it, and they said it had been shipped "a
few days ago."  UPS delivered it the next day.  I wholeheartedly say that if
DAK has something you'd like, give it a try; you can always send it back.

--

				William Kucharski
				University of Wisconsin - Madison

|									      |
| Ameritech/Wisconsin Bell (Currently) : (608) 264-4013			      |
| Ameritech/Wisconsin Bell (After 5/17): (414) 769-7457			      |
|									      |
| USPS (Currently):  253 Fish - Ogg East				      |
|      		     Madison, WI  53706					      |
|									      |
| USPS (After 5/17): 5624 South Indiana Avenue				      |
| 		     Cudahy, WI  53110					      |
|								              |

ARPA@brl-smoke (05/01/86)

eric@chronon.UUCP (05/02/86)

In article <209@gilbbs.UUCP> mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Tom Keller) writes:
>In article <678@mb2c.UUCP>, spm@mb2c.UUCP (Steve Mazurek) writes:
>> >
>> > I was looking through a DAK catalog recently, and saw a MODEM PHONE (computer-
>> > ized yellow pages they called it).  As part of the sales promo, they said they
>> > had the address of a company that sold a directory of hundreds of bulletin
>> > boards:   does anyone know what this company is and how to find them??
>> >
>> > Anyone having lists or directories of bulletin boards, or who knows of a good
>> > bulletin board - pleas write.
>> >

>> I just happen to have this information:
>>
>> 	DAK Industries Incorporated
>> 	8200 Remmet Ave.,
>> 	Canoga Park, CA 91304
>>
>> 	Orders: (800) 325-0800

Wrong answer to the question.  "What is the name & address of the *company
mentioned in the ad copy* that sells the directory of bbs's?" was the
question.  I don't know that, either...

>   I know innumerable peole who have made purchases from DAK.  In literally
>*EVERY* case, they have been thouroughly displeased with the products and the
>service offered by DAK.  The company will not make any effort to correct
>problems, they will lie to you about schedules and anything else.
>
>   Stay *AWAY* from them!

I have made innumerable purchases from DAK myself, and have had nothing
but good experience with them.  With the understanding that some of the
ad copy (much/most?) is hype, I have ordered merchandise, in most cases
received it quite promptly (usually less than a week!).  Otherwise,
I received a partial shipment and an equally prompt letter saying that an
item was temporarily out of stock (modulo the items clearly stated as
"closeouts", and only one of those) and would be shipped by such-and-such
a date, only to receive the shipment (except for that one out of stock
closeout) long BEFORE the promised ship date.

Approximately half of the items ordered did not live up to my needs,
regardless of whether I expected them to be better or not, and I returned
them within the 30-day trial period and received an immediate credit to
my credit card.  Other businesses have played footsie with actually
posting the credit, but DAK has always been quite prompt.  To look back
at my record of ordering from them, I have returned just over half of
what I ordered, but they still (apparently) like me.  I still like them.
I take at face value their offer to try some piece of gadgetry for 30
days (I'm a hopeless/helpless gadget freak), and if I decide it's not worth
the money, or just change my mind about it, I return it.

I don't see that I can get anywhere near such a deal from most local
dealers!

--
Eric Black   "Garbage In, Gospel Out"
UUCP:        {sun,pyramid,hplabs,amdcad}!chronon!eric

chad@anasazi.UUCP (Chad R. Larson) (05/03/86)

In article <209@gilbbs.UUCP> mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Tom Keller) writes:

>   I know innumerable peole who have made purchases from DAK.  In literally
>*EVERY* case, they have been thouroughly displeased with the products and the
>service offered by DAK.  The company will not make any effort to correct
>problems, they will lie to you about schedules and anything else.

Well, just in order to balance an impression, I have bought lots of
stuff from them, from their tapes to manufacturer's close-outs and
always been satisfied.  They sent what they said they would, for the
most part when they said they would.  A couple of exceptions--the last
order I gave them was for a dbx encoder/decoder.  They said it would
be 4 to 6 weeks and I got it in 10 days.  Another time they said 4 to
6 weeks but I got back ordered.  They advised me of this, and gave me
a chance to back out (just like the Fair Trade laws require).  They
didn't nick my credit card until they shipped.  They also *DO* refund
your money if you don't like the product.  No questions asked
(although you do get stuck for the return shipping).  I recommend them
to my friends--no one has been burned yet.
	-crl

--
"Now wait just a minute!  Wait just a darn minute!"
	-Dobie Gillis

cjl@ecsvax.UUCP (Charles Lord) (05/08/86)

I also vote yes on DAK. Very pleased (and I usually have very BAD
luck with mail order).

C. Lord
cjl@ecsvax.UUCP

larry@jc3b21.UUCP (Lawrence F. Strickland) (05/24/86)

In article <332@mcc-pp>, ables%mcc-pp@mcc-pp.UUCP writes:
> Subject: Re: BULLETIN BOARD STUFF (really DAK)
>
> In article <209@gilbbs.UUCP>, mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Tom Keller) writes:
> >
> >    I know innumerable peole who have made purchases from DAK.  In literally
> > *EVERY* case, they have been thouroughly displeased with the products and the

I would like to support what was said in favor of DAK, with some reservations.
I was one of the people they lied to about schedules, ship dates, etc., BUT
still am a relatively pleased customer.   The problems seem to lie more with
the shipping department than with DAK as a supplier.

Most of the items I have ordered were well worth the price.  In the three
cases so far where I did not like the product, DAK was kind, prompt with the
refund, and generally nice to work with.  I would certainly NOT use them for
any time-critical merchandise, but for general material they are very good.

Also, they are not alone in problems.  I ordered the 1200 BAUD ADC Modem from
DAK and a Jade 1200 Baud modem from Jade at the same time.  Both said they
would be shipped the next day.  Neither was.  After numerouse phone calls and
hair pulling, the DAK modem arrived first and in good working order.  The
Jade modem arrived last and arrived DEAD.  On calling Jade, they suggested
that I call the manufacturer because the problems with these modems were
almost always just minor adjustments...ad nauseum.  It was only with great
reluctance they agreed to take the equipment back and then were three weeks
late in crediting my account!  I've had similar problems with virtually every
computer and/or electronics house I've ever ordered from (except INMAC, but
you pay for that service).  If you want to complain about this, complain
about the entire industry!

-----Lawrence F. Strickland (larry@jc3b21)     ---------------------------
     Dept. of Engineering Technology           + Cthulhu                 +
     St. Petersburg Jr. College                +      R`lyeh             +
     P.O. Box 13489                            +           wgah`nagl     +
     St. Petersburg, FL 33733                  +                 fh`tagn +
     Phone:  +1 813 341 4705                   ---------------------------

     UUCP:  ...akgua!akguc!codas!peora!ucf-cs!usfvax2!jc3b21!larry