[net.micro.cpm] Multi Lingual Word Processors - Are they needed

prieto@aluxp.UUCP (PRIETO) (05/31/86)

There appears to be a trend to provide software for MS/DOS PC's
that are in the native languages of the PC's users, some companies are
putting a substantial amount of resources to convert there US ( English )
versions to other languages, of the ones I know are in Word Processing
since it is brobably the most widely used MS/DOS PC's software, the languages
are French, and Germans but it cost a lot of money about 2 years to do this.

Now there is a Multi Lingual Word Processing software available bfrom
Intex Software Systems International, Ltd. that provides that need of
many languages and it is configurable and switchable from one language to the
other thus you might have a document in your native language and still be able
to insert english word or any other that you desire to configure, the software
does not have to be modified to do this so in that sense it provides a
transportability in application similar in a sense to Un*x.

Now my interest is to find out if this a desired feature, there are many other
feature to the packages for me to talk about them without get flamed for
advertising, my interest is to make up my mind if I should invest in this
company which might be becoming public ( new issue ), you might say I am
doing a little market research to confirm my gutt feel that this is a good
idea, niche whatever with good to very good market potential and no
major established comptetitors or products that command the major share of the market

For those that might want further information I believe the Intex Software
Systems International, Ltd. is in NYC, NY. I became aware of them because
I might be translating their documentation manual from english to spanish
using their word processing package, which has another major feature I forgot
they reconfigure the keyboard layout, so you do not have to buy a new keyboard
when switching languages.

I will be glad to respond to individual inquiries thru email, please feel
free to discuss this topic on this newsgroups if there is no major objection
which many times there a small group of people that allways objects to many
things, primary reason I rarely post anything, DON'T like to get flames
but like to discuss relevant issues.

Well let me get of my soap box and wait to see if anyone responds.

gracias

Jose Prieto

ihnp4!aluxp!prieto

please do not include my text in your responses I gets boring to read all that
again.

knudsen@ihwpt.UUCP (mike knudsen) (06/04/86)

> please do not include my text in your responses I gets boring to read all that
> again.

Hear hear!

To: ihnp4!aluxp!prieto
Subject: Re: Multi Lingual Word Processors - Are they needed

Could you post more details concerning just what multi-lingual
features are involved?  I've heard of compilers that use native
words for if, while, else, read, write, etc., but most word
processors use single keystroke or two-letter commands, only
some of which are mnemonic (ie, correspond to an English word).

OK, I can see changing such things as .ce ( center), .sp (space),
or .pa (page, becomes German .bl or Italian .fo).
That should be trivally easy to do.

Are you thinking of anything fancier, such as machine-aided translation
(built-in dictionary?  Case & gender-ending checking as you go?)
Any company that could produce these functions would be well worth
your investment dollars.

	mike k

wekowe@petrus.UUCP (W. Wei) (06/06/86)

I bought a Chinese word processing package last year.  More recently,
I bought an upgrade which enables it to run Lotus 1-2-3 and symphony
in Chinese.  This is not the only company in the business.  I saw
at least a dozen companies making similar products in a trade show
in San Fransisco.  Although, the show emphasized on Chinese computing,
there were products for Japanese, Korean, Arabic, and most European
languages.

reza0@ihlpl.UUCP (H. Reza Zarafshar) (06/07/86)

	I have a Persian/Arabic/Urdu/English word processor.  It is
pretty nice and it emulates a lot of wordstar commands.  The important
thing to remember about Arabic text is  that it is written from right
to left and this word processor does a good job of it.  It doesn't
have any fancy features like spell checker, mail merge and things like
that but what it has is pretty nice.  It runs on the IBM-PC and clones.

Reza Zarafshar
(312)979-5104
ihnp4!ihlpl!reza0