[net.micro.cpm] phone line surges and spikes

larry%kitty.UUCP@seismo.css.gov (Larry Lippman) (06/30/86)

In article <3607@reed.UUCP>, kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) writes:

> Well, there has been a lot of talk lately about line voltages, and I
> don't know if this has come up.  I know it is possible to buy surge
> suppressors for AC & phone lines.  I know there are such thing as phone
> line spikes (I hear them at 1 am on my ultra-cheap phone from time-life
> books, or whatever.), so the question is, is it as easy as installing a
> MOV in the line?  I'm sort of worried what might be getting rammed into
> my internal modem.  Anyone got any ideas?

Most telephone line transients result from lightning strikes causing
current to be dissipated through the sheath of the telephone cable to
ground. This INCLUDES cable which is buried underground. A voltage is
induced in the individual telephone cable conductors due to the HUGE
currents and magnetic fields which accompany a lightning strike (to
give you an idea how large the currents are, lightning strike currents
are measure in KILOamperes, with a typical lightning strike being 100
kA).

Except in extreme cases, the lightning voltage itself therefore never
hits the individual conductors (which would cause destruction of
dielectric), but its propagated through capacitance and inductance
between the cable sheath and its pairs. The resulting transients are
"longitudinal" in nature, being from each wire of a pair to ground;
these transients are NOT generally from conductor-to-conductor.

What does the above mean in practical terms? For one, placing a MOV
(Metal Oxide Varistor) just across tip and ring will do almost zip for
providing transient protection. You need TWO MOV's, one from tip to
ground, and one from ring to ground. And I mean GROUND, like a #12 AWG
wire to a water pipe - NOT the third wire of an AC power outlet. Because
the MOV is not going to be very effective unless a low impedance path
to earth ground exists.

So, it is possible to build your own telephone line surge protector
using two MOV's as indicated above. However, it is not quite that
simple since the MOV's have to be carefully selected. First, the MOV
should exhibit a leakage current flow at 50 volts DC of LESS THAN 500
microamperes, which is equivalent to a resistance of at LEAST 100,000
ohms. At 130 volts DC, the leakage current should still be less than
1,000 microamperes. Exceeding these values can CAUSE TROUBLE with your
telephone line, such as: (1) false ring tripping; (2) hum and noise due
to longitudinal unbalance; and (3) trouble indications at the telephone
company central office due to automatic line insulation testing
equipment thinking your line is in trouble. The effective breakdown
potential of the MOV should be around 180 volts DC to preclude any
false trouble indications.

In my opinion, any product which claims to be a telephone line surge
protector and consists of a single MOV across tip and ring is ALMOST
WORTHLESS. You need to go between the conductors and ground, for the
reasons mentioned above.

I don't want to get off on a tangent here, but there is something which
is better than a a MOV: a gaseous discharge tube, especially what is
called a "three element" gaseous discharge tube. These devices exhibit
an infinite impedance in the "off" state, and conduct much faster than
a MOV. In telephone parlence, these are referred to as "rare gas
protectors". However, the cost of such a component is several times the
cost of a MOV.

==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
==>  UUCP  {bbncca|decvax|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
==>  VOICE   716/688-1231                {rice|shell}!baylor!/
==>  FAX     716/741-9635 {G1, G2, G3 modes}        seismo!/
==>  "Have you hugged your cat today?"             ihnp4!/