[net.micro.cpm] Do 8080 systems still exist?

clements@bbnccq.ARPA (Bob Clements) (08/15/86)

Re:  Do 8080 based systems really still exist?

>>   Date: 15 Aug 1986 09:14:24-EDT
>>   From: prindle@nadc.ARPA
>>   Subject: C128 software info
>>   The .COM files were compiled with Z-80 op-codes and may not work without
>>   recompilation on 8080 based systems (are there really such things still
>>   existing?).
>>   Frank Prindle
>>   Prindle@NADC.arpa

I realize that you weren't really trying to suggest that we ignore 8080-based
systems, Frank.

But I thought I would point out that there is actually a GROWING number
of non-Z80 CP/M systems around. Namely those that use the NEC V-20 chip
in an IBM-PC/clone environment.  The V-20 unfortunately doesn't do the
Z-80 opcodes, but it is a GREAT 8080.  I am currently doing all my 8080
and Z80 development work using the 8-bit M80/L80 from a retired CP/M
machine. The V-20 is much faster and it allows me to mix more modern
tools like MAKE and a better editor with the venerable assembler/linker
and some others that I retain from the Z-80 machine. Unfortunately, there
are a few such tools, to which I do not have the source, that won't run
because of the Z-80 opcodes in them.

/Rcc

[Everything above is the trademark of somebody.
My opinions are copyrighted by me.
If you share them, you are violating your license agreement.]

CLEMENTS@BBN.COM
{ihnp4, decvax, linus}!bbnccv!clements