[net.micro.cpm] Trying to send * within MEX dialing

SECRIST%OAK.SAINET.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA (08/22/86)

From:    <SECRIST%OAK.SAINET.MFENET@LLL-MFE.Arpa>   (Richard C. Secrist)
Date:    Fri, 22-AUG-1986 11:25 EST
To:      INFO-CPM@AMSAA.ARPA

I am running MEX 1.14 on my Apple (kudos Nightowl !).  Anyway, either
with or without the Smartmodem overlay, I can't seem to enter a '*'
as part of the number... it's an invalid number if I do.  The MEX doc
says that it doesn't stop you from entering what you want, but I of
course have the source for the overlays I', using and it doesn't do it !
(Sticking to the typical ATDT 1-615-etc. works fine.)  I want to do an
'ATDT *70,' to disable my call-waiting.  Grumble.

Does anybody dial a '*' into their MEX ?  Thanks !

r c s

- - -
P.S.> if you are using the MFE gateway to ARPA from your own subnet and don't
have a double header like I do, could you please tell me how you did it ?

W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA (Keith Petersen) (08/23/86)

I just tried entering a '*' as part of a phone number in MEX114.  It
worked just fine for me.  Do the following (example phone number
used):

MEX>phone my=*70,13135551212

Then you can say CALL MY and it will do it.  Note the comma to allow a
pause after the *70 to allow for time for the second dialtone to come
up.  Don't use dashes or you may exceed the buffer space available for
the number.

--Keith

W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA (Keith Petersen) (08/23/86)

Your modem may require a quote to accept the '*'.  If that's the case
then:

MEX>phone my="*70,13135551212

should work.

--Keith