[net.micro.cpm] simtel20 archive access

HAAR%RCSRLH%gmr.com@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA (RLH) (09/15/86)

Is the mail server that allows remote access to the SIMTEL20 PD archives
working?

I sent two requests for the info files, one about 10 days ago and the
second about a week ago. I have gotten nothing back - not even an
"addressee unknown" error message. Since I didn't get a message saying
that it was undeliverable, I assume my message got thru to ARCHIVE-REQUEST.

My only suspicion is that the server was not able to correctly extract
a return address for me since the chain of VAX/VMS mail to CSNET phone
mail to ARPANET can produce some bizarre address syntax.

Can anyone tell me what is going on?

	Bob Haar
	G.M. Research Labs

	HAAR.GMR.COM@CSNET-RELAY

mdapoz@watrose.UUCP (Mark Dapoz) (09/17/86)

[munch, munch, mun

In article <3820@brl-smoke.ARPA> HAAR%RCSRLH%gmr.com@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA writes:
>Is the mail server that allows remote access to the SIMTEL20 PD archives
>working?
>
>I sent two requests for the info files, one about 10 days ago and the
>second about a week ago. I have gotten nothing back - not even an
>"addressee unknown" error message. Since I didn't get a message saying
>that it was undeliverable, I assume my message got thru to ARCHIVE-REQUEST.
>
>My only suspicion is that the server was not able to correctly extract
>a return address for me since the chain of VAX/VMS mail to CSNET phone
>mail to ARPANET can produce some bizarre address syntax.

I've had the same problem over here.  I was almost ready to give up on my
request when a reply from it came through.  The final turnaround
time was OVER 10 days.  I have yet to receive a reply from 3 other
requests I sent in only hours after I sent my first request.  Is the
network really this slow?????  The only advice I have is wait (thats
what I'm still doing).

   Mark Dapoz

rda@epistemi.UUCP (Robert Dale) (09/20/86)

Like Bob Haar (article <3820@brl-smoke.ARPA>), I too sent a request for the
INFO files to the SIMTEL20 PD archives, and received nothing in response.
Any suggestions as to what happened and how to get around it would be
appreciated.  Am I correct in suspecting that there will be a large number
of people who have experienced this problem?  If there's a problem with
working out return addresses, then is it possible that most or all people
who request information from the UK will also have this problem?

--

Robert Dale	University of Edinburgh, Centre for Cognitive Science,
                2 Buccleuch Place, Edinburgh, EH8 9LW, Scotland.

UUCP:	...!ukc!cstvax!epistemi!rda
JANET:	rda@uk.ac.ed.epistemi

andrew@stc.co.uk (09/27/86)

In article <1165@epistemi.UUCP> rda@epistemi.UUCP (Robert Dale) writes:

| Like Bob Haar (article <3820@brl-smoke.ARPA>), I too sent a request for the
| INFO files to the SIMTEL20 PD archives, and received nothing in response.
| Any suggestions as to what happened and how to get around it would be
| appreciated.  Am I correct in suspecting that there will be a large number
| of people who have experienced this problem?  If there's a problem with
| working out return addresses, then is it possible that most or all people
| who request information from the UK will also have this problem?
|
| --
|
| Robert Dale	University of Edinburgh, Centre for Cognitive Science,
|                 2 Buccleuch Place, Edinburgh, EH8 9LW, Scotland.
|
| UUCP:	...!ukc!cstvax!epistemi!rda
| JANET:	rda@uk.ac.ed.epistemi

there is in fact a much simpler problem in archive access from europe,
in that our mail to SIMTEL20 goes via seismo.css.gov.  Rick has taken the
(entierly reasonable in my view) attitude that archive access is an
expensive business, and it costs him to forward such requests ---
not on the trans-atlantic link --- it is 'well known' that we the
recipients pay for that, but rather on the US internal links, and
we are being caught by the error trap that he has set up for that.
--
Regards,
	Andrew Macpherson.  <andrew@tcom.stc.co.uk>  {backbone}!ukc!stc!andrew