[net.micro.cpm] IBM PC and 8\" CP/M

clements@bbnccq.ARPA (Bob Clements) (10/01/86)

Help!  I have almost all the pieces but I'm not quite there.

I'm trying to get my IBM PC to read and write 8" CP/M format
disks.  Hence this posting to both cpm and ibmpc lists.

I have just gotten an 8" disk controller (from Floppy Disk Services,
Inc., a pretty good disk hardware supplier) made by Maynard.
They sold me a device driver by Flagstaff Engineering which makes
the 8" drives appear as DOS formatted devices and which allows
low level access to the drives.  I have Media Master, which goes
between DOS and CP/M file formats, but only on 5" drives. They
say they are not planning to support 8" formats.

So I need the program that knows CP/M formats and runs on the PC.
FDSI has one for sale, at the LUDICROUS price of $595.00!
Does anyone know of something at a reasonable price?  Or has
anyone got some low level disk accessing code that I could
use to write my own?

Thanks,
/Rcc

Bob Clements - clements@bbn.com - {ihnp4,decvax,linus}!bbnccv!clements
K1BC @ K1BC 145.09 and 221.11 MHz, Boston area

[Everything above is the trademark of somebody.]

Leisner.Henr@xerox.ARPA (marty) (10/02/86)

Bob,

Please forward any responses to me.  I currently have the same problem.
Or summarize and post to the net.

thanks,

marty

Dusel.Wbst@xerox.ARPA (10/03/86)

This is a problem I am also interested in solving.  Please post
your findings to the net, I suspect there are many of us in the same drive.

Pete

wcwells%opal.Berkeley.EDU@ucb-vax.ARPA (William C. Wells) (10/03/86)

	Date: Wed, 1 Oct 86 13:10:24 EDT
	From: Bob Clements <clements@CCQ.BBN.COM>
	Subject: IBM PC and 8" CP/M
	To: info-ibmpc@usc-isib.arpa, info-cpm@amsaa.arpa
	Cc: clements@CCQ.BBN.COM

	Help!  I have almost all the pieces but I'm not quite there.

	I'm trying to get my IBM PC to read and write 8" CP/M format
	disks.  Hence this posting to both cpm and ibmpc lists.

The most versitile program I have seen is "Xenocopy PC" from
Fred Cisim at Xenosoft, 1454 Sixth St, Berkeley, CA 94710,
Phone (415) 525-3113. This product supports 5 1/4 (40 & 80 track),
8in, and 3 1/2in drives if you have the appropriate hardware.

I do not know if can handle your controller or not. But it
might be worth a phone call to find out.  Program price is
under a hundred dollars.

Bill Wells