[net.micro.cpm] NOTE from IFF095

IFF095%DJUKFA11.BITNET@wiscvm.ARPA (06/09/86)

Date: 9 June 1986, 16:33:00 MEZ
From: Joachim K. Anlauf         (02461) 614519       IFF095   at DJUKFA11
To:   INFO-CPM at AMSAA.ARPA

help

IFF095%DJUKFA11.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA (08/15/86)

Date: 14 August 1986, 17:10:34 MEZ
From: Joachim K. Anlauf         (02461) 614519       IFF095   at DJUKFA11
To:   INFO-CPM at AMSAA
Subject: Mail access to the SIMTEL20 archives

I am a Europian BITNET-user and I am in deed a little bit frustrated when
I hear of all the software on SIMTEL20. I only want to make one (new?) point.
If sources are distributed with a new mailing list it is still impossible
to get old, but certainly good, software from SIMTEL20. The solution with
an automatic fileserver sounds much more attractive to my ears.

Now the question arises: do we really have to develop our own software?
There are some other fileservers on the ARPA-net that also work together
with BITNET. For example:

    INFO@CSNET-SH.ARPA
You can get more informations with:
    Request:Info
    Topic: Help

and:
     NETLIB@ANL-MCS.ARPA
To receive information mail the following command to NETLIB:

Send index

These are automatic fileservers, as far as I know. Does anyone know,
whether it is possible to use their software?

Joachim
-------

IFF095%DJUKFA11.BITNET@wiscvm.ARPA (09/10/86)

Date: 10 September 1986, 10:24:32 MEZ
From: Joachim K. Anlauf         (02461) 614519       IFF095   at DJUKFA11
To:   INFO-CPM at AMSAA

Subject: SQ, CRUNCH, ARC, LBR and vice versa on IBM mainframes

I think there was a misunderstanding in a reply to John Fishers letter about
informations on SQ, CRUNCH,... formats. He seems to have the same problem as
me. We are working on IBM mainframes and want to look at the file we get
from SIMTEL20 before shipping them to our micros. Documentation files can be
printed on high speed printers. There is no need to ship them via telephone
lines to the micros. My question: Is there any software available for IBM
mainframes (not PC's) to do the job? Thanks in advance for any reply.
Joachim Anlauf

IFF095%DJUKFA11.BITNET@wiscvm.ARPA (09/10/86)

Date: 10 September 1986, 11:31:20 MEZ
From: Joachim K. Anlauf         (02461) 614519       IFF095   at DJUKFA11
To:   INFO-CPM at AMSAA

subject: Need help for turbo-pascal(-bug?)

I have the following problem with a program, using the turbo tool-box
(access system version 1.0) and turbo pascal version 3.00A.
I wrote a program that uses 2 different databases and 4 different
index-files. Sometimes the program runs perfectly. Somtimes, when I only
add a few lines of code, the program crashes immediatly, without coming
to the added code. Sometimes senceless error messages  occur with
filenames made of random characters. Then I switch on the $U+ compiler
option without any other changes on the program and the program perfectly
runs again. It is a mystery for me. I never had any difficulties with
this version of turpo pascal before. All other programs are still running
so it is not the hardware. Is there someone out there who has an idea?
Any, really any, comments are welcome.
Joachim Anlauf

IFF095%DJUKFA11.BITNET@wiscvm.ARPA (10/09/86)

Date: 7 October 1986, 19:21:52 MEZ
From: Joachim K. Anlauf         (02461) 614519       IFF095   at DJUKFA11
To:   INFO-CPM at AMSAA

Subject: ARC for CP/M?

Is there a CP/M-program available like the ARC of MS-DOS? There is an UNARC
in the starter-kit, but I could not find the counterpart ARC on SIMTEL20.
Can anyone help me?
Joachim Anlauf