[net.comics] ff 257 -- let them lie

egy (05/07/83)

Relay-Version:version B 3/9/83; site harpo.UUCP
Date:Sat, 7-May-83 09:37:53 EDT

     It very well may be that the Skrulls deserved to die.
There are a lot of cosmicly powerful races out there,
and a lot of them are a lot more interesting than the Kree
and the Skrull.  For example the Shi'ar, the Brood, and the
villains in the Omega Men etc.  From the X-Men - Titans
crossover, we know that they all exist in the same universe.
     Now if you were a writer, and you wanted to have the FF
battle a cosmic race, would you pick the Kree, or
pick the skrull, or would you pick the Citadel, or the
Brood?  I know the question begs the point, but the
fact is that the writers of today are at least as creative
as Lee and Kirby (blasphemy).
     I think that this is what Shooter is pointing at.  And
to some extent Byrne agrees.  I mean it took Peter Parker
13 years to graduate college.  Robin hasn't graduated yet,
 and he's been around a lot longer than that.  The point
is that if we are looking for a consistent realistic
universe.  People age, they change.  Marvel has been lauded
for that in the past, but it has all become a bit static.
And the industry is not static now.  I don't agree with Shooter
in all things.  I think he's got too heavy a hand.  I think he
lost a lot of top-notch people.  The shake-up is good for
Marvel.

     On another note, did anyone see the Claremont/Bolton
story in Epic 18.  It's real cute.

     By the way, the artist on Fear 19 -- the first appearance of
Howard the Duck, was Val Mayerik, a personal all time
favorite.  For those of you interested, he had a story in a
recent Alien Worlds or Twisted Tales.  I think his most interesting
recent work has been the first Paradox story in Bizarre Adventures.
Also check ouT tales of Zabu in the back of Kazar.

			   I am

			   GINO!