[net.comics] A rating system?

firby@sask.UUCP (05/27/83)

Relay-Version:version B 2.10 5/3/83; site harpo.UUCP
Date:Thu, 26-May-83 19:57:38 EDT

   I was wondering if anyone else out there reads Comics Scene(?)(the one
done by the Starlog people).  The reason I ask is that there was quite
an interesting article in it by Jan Strnad suggesting that the comics
companies start putting ratings on their comics, like movies do, so they
can defend themselves when the accusations of youth-corrupting come
around again (and they're going to).

   My question is what you guys think of the whole thing.  In my younger
days, I would never have gone for such an idea, but the more I look at
current comics, the more I think they need this pre-emptive measure.
After all, it would be up to the retailer to enforce the ratings as he saw
fit, so the companies wouldn't have to make any change in content.

   I have to say that I'm getting a bit disgusted with the inordinate
amount of bloody (literally) violence gushing into the comics today.  I'm
thinking about Miller's Daredevil (which, though artistically gorgeous, s
started the whole thing), Omega Men and occasional issues of Teen Titans
and the Legion.   And while I don't get too upset about sex in comics,
you can be sure that somewhere some parent picked up a copy of his kid's
Kazar or Camelot 2000, and announced "No more comics for you!".

   So what do you people think?  Good idea or not?  Or should we stop
thinking of comics as a medium for young children?

                             joanne