[net.comics] id AA28507; Thu, 23 Feb 84 06:03:22 pst

lipman@decwrl.UUCP (02/23/84)

Date: Thursday, 23 Feb 1984 06:06:44-PST
From: akov68::boyajian
To: net.comics
Subject: "Moriarty's" Latest Title Review

	I seem to be among the elite few who think that DC's STAR TREK is awful.
Or that LOVE AND ROCKETS is good, but not spectacular. I'd also take A DISTANT
SOIL out of the "Really Good" category and put it in the "Good" one, though I
would agree with your comment about it. I feel the same comment would also apply
to SUNRUNNERS and THE ALIEN LEGION.

	I for one *like* THE NEW MUTANTS.

	Re: ROM: I've been avoiding this book for a long time, until recently.
It fascinates me to see what is going on in it regarding public revelation of
the Dire Wraith menace. I can't figure out why Marvel is doing this. Look at it
this way:

	(1) If the Avengers and other superhero groups (and individuals) get
caught up in the Wraithwar, then the Wraiths will be expunged quickly and the
ROM series will end (or at least, the character will go off to fight Wraiths
elsewhere in the universe).
	(2) If all of Earth's superheroes aren't enough to expunge the Wraiths
quickly, it will be necessary to have all of the heroes fighting Wraiths *all*
of the time, or at least all of the time that they aren't fighting some other
meanace [I'll let the typo stand]. This could get quite out of hand.
	As I said, I can't figure out what Marvel is up to.

	As for the two separate TT and LEGION series, it's easy. What DC wants
to do is to make Baxter series out of them because they are so popular in the
fan market, but because they are also popular as newstand titles, DC decided to
do two separate series of each, a Mando-paper book sold through both comic shops
and newstands, and a Baxter-paper book sold only through comic shops. It is in-
tended that the Mando series will be consist of reprints (a year out of synch)
of the Baxter series. The analogy that was brought up in the fan press was
that it was akin to a hardcover book being reprinted a year later as a paperback
book, so they are often referred to as such. Since we would have to wait a year
to get to that point where they can start reprinting, both series will contain
original material for that first year, then only the Baxter series will be
original.
	To put it in numbers, let's say that the the first issue of the Baxter
TEEN TITANS (TTB) comes out the same month as the Mando TEEN TITANS (TTM) #46
(I'm not sure of the exact number, but the illustration still holds). We then
have two series of TITANS running concurrently, one (TTB) set a year ahead (real
time) of the other (TTM). Now, a year later, TTB #13 hits the stands, at the
same time as TTM #58. TTM #58 will be a reprint of TTB #1, #59 of #2, etc. I
suppose that you can think of it as getting TEEN TITANS #58 a year early.
	The only problem I can see with this is that for the year that the two
books feature original material, surprises cannot be planned for the Mando
series, since the readers of the Baxter series will already know about it. For
instance, if it was decided that in issue #54, one of the Titans would be killed
and Raven never showed up in the Baxter series, we'd know that she was the one
who bought the farm long before the event. On the other hand, if she never
showed up in the Baxter series, we might be kept in suspense about what happens
to her.
	I hope that this has been clear.

				  --- jayembee
				      (Jerry Boyajian, DEC Maynard)
				UUCP: (decvax!decwrl!rhea!akov68!boyajian)
				ARPA: (decwrl!rhea!akov68!boyajian@Shasta)

hutch@shark.UUCP (02/24/84)

| Re: ROM: I've been avoiding this book for a long time, until recently.
| It fascinates me to see what is going on in it regarding public
J revelation of the Dire Wraith menace. I can't figure out why Marvel is
A doing this. Look at it this way:
E (1) If the Avengers and other superhero groups (and individuals) get
M caught up in the Wraithwar, then the Wraiths will be expunged quickly
B and the ROM series will end (or at least, the character will go off to
E fight Wraiths elsewhere in the universe).
| (2) If all of Earth's superheroes aren't enough to expunge the Wraiths
| quickly, it will be necessary to have all of the heroes fighting
| Wraiths *all* of the time, or at least all of the time that they aren't
| fighting some other meanace [I'll let the typo stand]. This could get
| quite out of hand.
|
| As I said, I can't figure out what Marvel is up to.

According to the advance info obtained by my comics pushers:

Marvel has been planning a "kiddie" line for several years now, and
the tie-in with the GI Joe toys and the ROM toys is just part of this.
After Secretive Bores gets over with, the Wraithwar is going to become
their unifying concept for the Kiddie line.

They plan to involve ALL their major heroes and groups in this, but
don't expect a quick and easy solution.  There is NO chance that the
underground menace of the Wraiths will be "expunged quickly" since,
as has been demonstrated recently in ROM, the Wraiths are far more
powerful and horrible than the low-level Orcs we have seen so far.
(They are degenerate Skrulls, by the way.)  It is the equivalent of
the Earth being actually invaded by the Skrulls or the Kree, en masse.
None of this silly one or two person spy mission nonsense, this is a
full scale invasion by a galactic empire.

Therefore, they can drag it out until it gets even more sickening and
hackneyed than the eternally overblown "Mutant Menace!" nonsense.

Incidentally, the Wraithwars may be tied into the threatened but not
finalized SEPARATE series of titles deliberately aimed at the kiddies.
Who knows what THAT would do to continuity.

Cynically in the extreme,

Hutch

ciaraldi@rochester.UUCP (Mike Ciaraldi) (02/26/84)

~sWraithwar
Concernign Marvel kiddie books--
The ROM and Micronaut toys have been discontinued for
many years (at least 2 or 3). At least GI Joe is still
around. How to you get tieins to things that
don't exist?
Mike Ciaraldi
ciaraldi@rochester

hutch@shark.UUCP (Stephen Hutchison) (02/29/84)

<wham!  POW!  KerPLOP>

| Concerning Marvel kiddie books--
| The ROM and Micronaut toys have been discontinued for many years (at
| least 2 or 3). At least GI Joe is still around. How to you get tieins
| to things that don't exist?
|
| Mike Ciaraldi
| ciaraldi@rochester

Gee, Mike, I dunno about that.  Last time I looked (which was last month
when I went to see about a Vectrex) the Toys R Us in Tigard Orygun had
PLENTY of Rom toys and still had a few of the Micronauts.

Just because a toy is currently not being marketed doesn't stop a major
push from being restarted.  Usually it isn't worth it, but when you get
a tie-in with major free advertising . . .

Anyway, I only report what I am told, and in this case the information
came from one of the several rags Marvel sends to its victims  -er,
I think I meant "distributors".  And "Dealers".

Hutch