[net.comics] Saavik and Pon Farr

acsgjjp@sunybcs.UUCP (Jim Poltrone) (06/14/84)

[Computer data's coming in now, captain, it's just what we need--
 a colossal negative space wedgie of great power coming right at us
 at warp speed...]

I've noticed in the DC comic book version (the one started this year)
that Saavik is thought to be a male!  Admiral Kirk always makes references
to "Mr. Saavik"--who is he?  Unless he keeps thinking she is Spock.
Or... (insert favorite anti-DC flame. 'nuff said! :-) )
(Pardon me if this has already been mentioned; I have about 50 articles
yet to read in net.startrek as of today (6/14).)

--
                             From the Big Briar-modified terminal of
nfqstuwxy;                        Jim Poltrone

UUCP: {hao,harpo}!seismo!rochester!rocksanne!rocksvax!sunybcs!acsgjjp
  (or)   decvax!watmath!sunybcs!acsgjjp
ARPA, CSnet: acsgjjp.buffalo@rand-relay

barnett@ut-sally.UUCP (Lewis Barnett) (06/15/84)

[Who are you, to tell the universe what it can do?]

Unfortunately, all of the officers in the movies also refer to Saavik as
"Mister," which I take to be a nautical/naval affectation.  This is only
true in duty situations, where it has the same connotation as "Ensign"
would.

Lewis Barnett,CS Dept, Painter Hall 3.28, Univ. of Texas, Austin, TX 78712

-- barnett@ut-sally.ARPA, barnett@ut-sally.UUCP,
      {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!barnett

cbspt002@abnjh.UUCP (Marc E. Kenig ) (06/15/84)

From spuxll!whuxle!floyd!cmcl2!seismo!rochester!rocksvax!sunybcs!acsgjjp Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969
From: acsgjjp@sunybcs.UUCP (Jim Poltrone)
Newsgroups: net.startrek,net.comics
Subject: Saavik and Pon Farr
Date: Thu, 14-Jun-84 09:44:13 EDT
...sunybcs!acsgjjp writes:

>I've noticed in the DC comic book version (the one started this year)
>that Saavik is thought to be a male!  Admiral Kirk always makes references
>to "Mr. Saavik"--who is he?  Unless he keeps thinking she is Spock.

"Mister" is the traditional naval address for an ensign. (Kirk also always
said "Mister" to Chekov, and other junior officers). It is a form of address
like all others in the military and is blind to sex, hance Mister Saavik is
correct and Kirk doesn't need (stronger) glasses.

M Kenig, ATT-IS, S. Plainfield NJ
...abnjh!cbspt002

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) (06/16/84)

{  Nice try  }

Nope.  People are refered to as "Mister" and has absolutely nothing to
do with sex.  It's a coloquialism (That'll teach me to use big werds.)
that it is "Mister."  "Unit" would be far better.  (Look it up!  It
can refer to a human or an inanimate object!  Saves us the problem
of figuring out something new when we finally develope artificial
intelligence!)

They tended to avoid this in the series because many peons would not
understand why Uhura was being called "Mister."  (She definitely ain't
no guy!)

rle@brunix.UUCP (Rusty Lee Ellsworth) (06/18/84)

My understanding, even before seeing STWoK was that Vulcan men and women don't
make any distinction when addressing each other and prefer not to be when being
addressed. Kirk's refering to Saavik as "Mister" was polite acknowledgement of
Vulcan custom. However, I think I read this in the Providence Journal, and they
are rarely right about anything. probably the guy made it up on the fly.