[net.comics] Random responses --- Part 2

boyajian@akov68.DEC (Jerry Boyajian) (07/06/84)

From:	Andrew Garrett

>	I've just recently started reading the New Mutants, borrowing the early
> issues from a friend of mine.  I noticed an early character, Karma, who
> disappeared about issue ten.  Soon, every one stopped looking for her, and
> seem to have forgotten all about her.  I believe she is still alive, just
> serving her uncle as she promised.  What I wondered is whether she has shown
> up in any other comics.  I don't read many, so wouldn't know.
>	If any one knows anything  about this, please inform me.

We're in the dark as much as you are! Another Claremont sub-plot left unresolved
still! At first, when Karma disappeared, I suspected that it had something to do
with the supposed reappearance of Phoenix in THE X-MEN, but such was not the
case. I hadn't thought about her "serving her uncle as she promised", but I'm
sure that the Voice that she heard in her mind was her brother's, and he's be-
hind it. At any rate, I don't believe she's dead, either, but it's apparent that
the X-Men and Newties think so.

********************
From:	Scott Berry

> Just thought I'd register my comments about the most recent
> Legion annual.  While Swan is far from being my most favorite artist,
> I actually enjoyed his art this issue.  Perhaps (No, strike that--
> definitely) Tangual's inking had something to do with it.

> One question.  Where did Darkseid come from?  I don't remember precisely
> what happened to him after the Darkness Saga, but I seem to recall
> the resolution was of a more permanent nature.  Anyone want to
> refresh my memory?

I agree. I'm not a Swan fan, either, but I thought this was good art, too. The
man's name is "Tanghal", not "Tangual". It didn't seem to me that Darkseid was
disposed of in any permanent manner at the end of the Great Darkness saga. You
just can't keep a good evil god down.

********************
From:	Laurie

> How do you go about explaining comics to the uninitiated?  Parents can be
> bad enough, they think that there may be 'something wrong with you' (:-)),
> or drop hints like 'when are you giving up comics' ( to be read 'when are
> you going to grow up?).  However, what do you do when trying to impress
> a person of the appropriate sex, you get back to your abode, and there is
> Action #532 sitting on your coffee table (or worse, your bedstand)....

> do you...
>	1. make a maddened attempt to throw your coat over the comic?
>	2. start making remarks about how 'comics are a great investment'
>	3. figure if they think you're a mental case, that's their problem?
>	4. try to find a way to get them interested...

> Also, are there any ouple out there, where one reads/collects, and the other
> doesn't?  How does the SO feel about your habit?

Well, I wouldn't be caught dead with a copy of ACTION #532 on my coffee table
(if I had a coffee table, that is), but I get the picture. Actually, I've never
really had a problem. Out of the five SO's I've had, two (my first and my cur-
rent) read and/or collect comics; two were sf fans, and even though they weren't
into comics, they understood. The other SO didn't read comics or sf when I first
started going out with her; I got her to read some of my comics, and she enjoyed
reading them, though she wasn't overwhelmed enough to continue reading them once
we broke up (as far as I know, she *did* continue to read sf).
	If I were to "bring someone home" (for a tryst or whatever) and there
were comics lying around (and I do have a file of comics near my bed), I would
just ignore them unless she asked about them. In such a case, I don't think I'd
make excuses, but just simply say that I enjoy reading them, that some of them
are simply escapist trash, but that some really are very good works of fiction.
Depending on what her response was, I might go for #4 (well, after, ah, other
things...), otherwise #3.
	At work, I tend not to advertise my comic-reading habit, but neither do
I try to hide it.

				  --- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA