[net.comics] The Rocketeer & Pacific Comics

boyajian@akov68.DEC (Jerry Boyajian) (09/11/84)

>From: Mike Ciaraldi  <ciaraldi>
> The new issue (54) of Amazing Heroes has a review
> of Pacific Presents #5, with the third Rockesteer
> story. Yet it has not shown up at any of the Rochester
> shops. Has anyone seen it?
> I suppose it could have been a review of an advance copy,
> but the same page reviews Jemm #1, and #4 of Jemm
> just came out.

Yes, I noticed that review, too. He was undoubtedly reviewing from a (black and
white) proof copy. From what I've heard, the art had been done quite some time
ago, but Pacific hadn't been able to get it out yet (of course, I might find it
at the Million Year Picnic later today; who knows?).

> From:	rlgvax!oz            4-Sep-1984 15:49:43
> OK other news.  My brother, Broome, sent news from Albany, it doesn't look
> good for Pacific Comics.  To me, one of the more interesting facts is that
> people in Albany don't seem too upset about this news.  My feelings are,
> well, I really hate to see ANY of the alternative comic companies go under
> as I feel they are the BEST thing to come along in comics in a long time,
> but I think I am only buying two regular Pacific comics now anyway.  Can
> anyone confirm on deny this rumor?

Well, I can't confirm or deny it, but I can add that I've also heard the rumor
that Pacific has large cash-flow problems (one friend of mine, who as a semi-
pro publisher --- of pulp magazine reprints --- has dealt with Pacific says that
they've *always* had cash-flow problems).
	I have much the same feelings as you do --- I hate to see any of the in-
dependents go under (I buy *all* of Pacific's comics, in an effort to be suppor-
tive). But... to be frank, if any of the major independents deserves to go under
it's Pacific. I hate to say it since they publish some good stuff (I *love*
SOMERSET HOLMES), but their business strategy leaves a lot to be desired. First
Comics is a shining example of a sound strategy: keep the line to around a half-
dozen books and work on getting them out regularly. Then, if you can handle it,
start adding new books, but stretch them out. Pacific overextended themselves by
trying to publish a new comic every other month, instead of concentrating on
getting a small number of them out on time. The PLANET COMICS reprint, for exam-
ple, was a real waste of paper, and the effort and resources could have been
used to better avail elsewhere. I appreciate their desire to reprint what they
consider classic material, but we really can do without the reprints of Iger-
Shop material. And although I rather liked PATHWAYS TO FANTASY, I could've lived
without it easily. I would rather have seen SOMERSET HOLMES come out on schedule
--- even a bi-monthly one --- than see any 5 other Pacific books.

As much as I don't wish ill on any of the independents, they really have to see
to it that their creators deliver the goods. Eclipse finally learned when they
decided that they wouldn't start any new books unless they had 3 completed
issues in their hands before printing the first one (of course, even this hasn't
stopped SCORPIO ROSE #3 or CAP'N QUICK #2 from being behind schedule). On the
other hand, even the majors commit this type of snafu. There is absolutely *no*
excuse for THE NEW TEEN TITANS #2 being late (and now, it seems that #4 is being
delayed a month, too); DC should have had 3 or 4 issues in hand before printing
the first.

I'm not even sure if First's record will remain unblemished. They are planning
on publishing NEXUS as a monthly book, and I'm not convinced that Baron and Rude
can keep up that tight a schedule.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) (09/17/84)

Just to throw my six cents in, I'd hate to see PACIFIC go under, but if it
has to be any of the independents (AV, First, Eclipse and Pacific), I'd
rather it be Pacific.  There schedule has been atrocious, and they aren't (I
think) publishing anything I REALLY enjoy (ZOT's an Eclipse book, Right?
Right?!).

				"Just remember, he knows more than you do!"
				"I have a Master's Degree!"
				"In SCIENCE!"
					Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
					John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.
UUCP:
 {cornell,decvax,ihnp4,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsrgv}!uw-beaver \
    {allegra,gatech!sb1,hplabs!lbl-csam,decwrl!sun,ssc-vax} -- !fluke!moriarty
ARPA:
	fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA