[net.comics] Leialoha's art on X-MEN ANNUAL

boyajian@akov68.DEC (Jerry Boyajian) (09/28/84)

> From:	shark!hutch           18-Sep-1984 13:47:28

> Well, I guess it wasn't too bad if you can forgive Heck for making every
> character in the thing look like someone else.

This is not to pick on you, Hutch, or what you said here, but I'm using the
above quote as a springboard.

I suddenly realized why it is that my opinions on Leialoha's artwork in X-MEN
ANNUAL #8 differs from most other people's. It seems that, in general, what has
upset most people about that artwork is that they feel that Leialoha's charac-
ters are recognizable. I agree that they are barely recognizable for the most
part, but does that make it bad art?

I realize that some people use recognizability as a criterion for whether they
like the art or not, but I don't. Unrecognizability can certainly cause an
artist to lose points with me, but I feel that good art is good art regardless
of whether the characters look like they are supposed to. To make another
example, John Romita (Sr.) didn't draw Peter Parker at all like Steve Ditko;
that certainly didn't mean that Romita's artwork was poor. Also compare Paul
Smith's Jean Grey with Dave Cockrum's. Or more strikingly, take a look at some
of the "pin-ups" in SUPERMAN #400. Berni Wrightson sure didn't draw a recog-
nizable Superman, but damn! was that a great piece of art.

And I thought that Leialoha turned in good art (with the reservations I put
forth in my review about his inking) for the X-MEN ANNUAL.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov75!boyajian
								  ^^
ARPA:	boyajian%akov75.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA
		     ^^

***NOTE*** Temporary change of address to dec-akov75
	   To be in effect until 2 October 1984.