[net.comics] Some comments

boyajian@akov68.DEC (Jerry Boyajian) (08/08/84)

Comments on a couple of Laurie's postings:

> You don't expect Marvel to print any letters that say 'Secret Wars stink.
> All they are is self-aggrandisement for J. Shooter' do you?  [sic]

Actually, yes I do expect Marvel to print letters that say "Secret Wars stinks".
Negative comments about their comics are all over their letters pages. Maybe it
*is* just an ego-stroke for Shooter, but I don't recall *any* Marvel comic ever
getting as much hype as SECRET WARS. And I also don't recall any other Marvel
comic getting 100% praise. Even Simonson's THOR has gotten some negative com-
ments.

Don't get so worked up over Marvel. Sure, maybe they think their shit smells
better than everyone else's, but there's still hope for them. Any Editor-in-
Chief who has the balls to say in an editorial that (paraphrase), "Sure, we're
probably making more money than we need to on the limited series by charging
$.75, but it's enabling us to keep from raising the prices on our other books,"
can't be *all* bad.

> LSH:  ...some really nice fight scenes (I can't wait to see if they clean up
>       some of the blood for the comics code people.

> TNTT: Oh my, won't the comics code have a good time with this one.  Maybe
>       as long as it's at least one alien in the bed (and you have to agree,
>       that with Raven in her current mode, she would definitely be classified
>       as 'alien'), you don't have to worry.

I, too, will be very interested to see what the CCA does with these two books
when the Baxter stories get reprinted in the Mando books. Actually, I didn't
think the bedroom scene with Raven and Wally was any worse than the one with
Dick and Kory. Personally, I was more shocked by the panel with Gar holding the
heart in his hand and with blood dripping out his mouth.

> All
> S S:

I guess you didn't want to go totally with the initials, like you did with the
LSH and NTT, eh?

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

boyajian@akov68.DEC (Jerry Boyajian) (10/06/84)

From:	dartvax!mwm	(Mark Modrall)

> Just a quick note about x-men 137.... i agree with the way that it was
> handled. Jean had just killed a star system, but more than that, what would
> they have done with her if she had lived...?  a star-system, she may have been
> able to cope with, but her very existence would have made the rest of the
> x-men superfluous.... and if they had just taken away her powers, what good
> would that do? you would have one normal person who used to be god that would
> have to fade into the wood-work... no, the way they did it, they got rid of a
> too powerful character, and made a hell of a good tear-jerker out of it....

Apparently, you're not aware of Claremont's plans for her if she had lived. She
naturally would have gone into a deep depression after getting the "psychic
lobotomy", and she and Scott would've both left the X-Men to get married. They
go on a Caribbean cruise and get shipwrecked, landing on --- you guessed it ---
Magneto's island. Magneto finds out about Jean's "lobotomy", and convinces her
that he can restore her powers to her if she'll betray the X-Men and help him.
It doesn't really matter whether or not he *can* do it, just as long as she
believes that he *might* be able to do it. Her inner struggle to decide whether
or not to go along with him would've formed the basis for #150 (if you had lost
all of *your* senses, wouldn't you really consider doing *anything* to get them
back?). I'm sorry that this storyline wasn't able to be pursued.

> From:	CS-Mordred!Pucc-H:Pucc-I:Pucc-K:afo	(Laurie Sefton)
>
> did I miss something, or was [KITTY AND WOLVERINE] always intended to be a
> six-parter?

Actually, no. It started out to be a four-parter, but pretty soon after it was
announced as such, Marvel/Claremont/whoever changed it into a six-parter.

> From:	milo!eric
>
>	Can someone please tell me how many issues of "Elementals" by
> Comico there have been. I have only seen one, but seem to remember references
> to there having been others. My local comic shop, while generally pretty
> good about carrying non-mainstream companies does not seem to be carrying
> these. Funny, I kind of liked the first issue.

Unless another one is sitting at the comic shop when I go there today, there has
only been one issue, so don't worry, you haven't missed any.