[net.comics] Random comments

boyajian@akov68.DEC (Jerry Boyajian) (10/11/84)

> From:	parallel!eric

> I hear Marvel/Epic is picking up _Groo_the_Wanderer_ from PC.
> Can anyone confirm this.

It's true. The next EPIC ILLUSTRATED (out late October/early November) will
have a Groo story, and then there will be a regular Epic comic, which, inci-
dentally, will be the very first Epic comic to have newstand distribution.
The reason Aragones went to Epic is because they could give him the newstand
market, which he wanted. Personally, I think GROO would be perfect for the
general market. The reason it's being done as an Epic Comic, rather than as
a Marvel Comic is because Aragones will retain the rights to it.
	Eclipse is publishing the GROO SPECIAL announced by Pacific for, oh,
must be getting close to a year by now, because Aragones wants to get it out
so that he can start at Epic with a clean slate, as it were.

> From:	CS-Mordred!Pucc-H:Pucc-I:Pucc-K:afo	(Laurie Sefton)

> Speaking of Batman and friends, what the %$')&#" has happened to Batgirl?

To hell with Batgirl. What *I* want to know is what the %$')&#" has happened
to Bat Girl? (Boy do I feel old...) They brought her back for a brief appear-
ance toward the end of the reign of the Old Teen Titans, but nothing since.
Since Batwoman was killed off (Unorthodox agonizing revenge to the writer
that aced her! Hiss hiss...), all we got left from the good old days is
Bat Girl.

> From:	dartvax!johnfr	(John Freeman)

> There was a mention on the net (by Jerry, I think...) about toys and
> comics based on them...although MICRONAUTS was mentioned, you didn't say
> anything about ROM, which did start out with an accompanying Rom
> doll on the market; but I haven't seen too many of them around lately
> (read that as 'none in years'), so I'd guess they didn't do so well..

Well, it really wasn't my intention to discuss (or even list or mention) the
various toy-comics being published. I mentioned the MICRONAUTS as an example
of one that worked well.

> While I am sort of on the subject, I hope that everyone there
> remembers the back-up series that used to be in DCCP..'Whatever
> Happened to...'?  Some of the stores were well done, and some
> were fairly sad-depended on the character, and what needed to be
> said in only 8 pages...actually I was just curious as to what
> back-up 'Whaterever happened to...?' was the favorite among the netters.
> and why?  The character, the story, or what?  Well done or not?

Well, I don't have all that many issues of DCCP, though I did buy some for
the "Whatever Happened to..." when it was about an old favorite. To be
honest, I didn't think a whole hell of a lot of the series in general. The
only one that sticks in my mind at all wasn't really part of the series
proper, but was the main feature in the issue. That was DCCP #36: "Whatever
Happened to Starman?" by Paul Levitz and Jim Starlin. What impressed me
about it was the script and the art. Plus I liked the villain, Mongul, who
had previously shown up in a couple of other Starlin-illustrated issues
guest-starring J'onn J'onzz and Supergirl.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA