[net.comics] Cobalt 60!

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Zonker T. Chuqui) (10/21/84)

Talk about timing-- a couple of days ago I posted looking for Bode fans.
Today I was traipsing through the bookstore when lo and behold I noticed
the name Bode on the latest issue of Epic. Yes, folks-- Cobalt 60 has
finally made it to print in the December 1984 issue.

Epic is actually publishing two sets of Cobalt 60 this issue. The first set
is the original 10 pages of B&W art from Witzend that won Vaugn Bode the 1969
Hugo for best fan artist. He did development work on a larger and more
complete story, but gave up on it because it was too depressing. His son,
Mark, has finally taken up the pen to ink out what work his father left
unfinished and to complete other stories such as Cobalt 60. The other set
of work is, in fact, Mark Bode. Mark has succeeded in capturing most of his
father's essence in the work but there are noticible differences in the
style. Mark's work is also the first in a series to be continued monthly.

Cobalt 60 will give you a good feeling for the style, artistry, and
inventiveness of Vaugn Bode-- you should definitely make an attempt to
track this stuff down.

(Many people are actually quite familiar with Cobalt 60 without knowing it.
Ralph Bakshi ripped Vaughn Bode off wholesale and used Cobalt as the main
character of the animated film 'Wizards'. Vaughn had shown Bakshi some of
his preliminary works on Cobalt and Bakshi borrowed them just long enough
to get copies to use-- without Bode's permission.)

chuq
--
From the Department of Bistromatics:                   Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,decwrl,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui  nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

(Editors note: Bistromatics is NOT a typo. Bistromathics is the study of
math on an italian waiters checkpad. Bistromatics is the study of Italian
cooking on females of the human species. Please quit sending me mail)

  I'd know those eyes from a million years away....

gnome@olivee.UUCP (10/23/84)

There are also two NEW posters available from the Bode' clan.
1) A Cobalt 60 oriented with (I believe) a Floater tower.
2) A poster-sized print of the Centauress on the inside cover
   of the Erotica book.  Formerly titled "I need a jockey".

#2 is my favorite.

I believe that both are available from Barbara/Mark Bode' via
Proto Prints as well as Budd Plant Comix.  I can get addresses
for both if there is any interest.

Gary

(usual disclaimer)

ayers@convex.UUCP (10/28/84)

>I believe that both are available from Barbara/Mark Bode' via
>Proto Prints as well as Budd Plant Comix.  I can get addresses
>for both if there is any interest.

Gary

There is.

blues, II; Lizards, 0

(I tried to mail this and it came back...)

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Zonker T. Chuqui) (10/30/84)

In article <212@olivee.UUCP> gnome@olivee.UUCP writes:

>There are also two NEW posters available from the Bode' clan.
>1) A Cobalt 60 oriented with (I believe) a Floater tower.
>2) A poster-sized print of the Centauress on the inside cover
>   of the Erotica book.  Formerly titled "I need a jockey".
>
>#2 is my favorite.
>
>I believe that both are available from Barbara/Mark Bode' via
>Proto Prints as well as Budd Plant Comix.  I can get addresses
>for both if there is any interest.

YESYESYESYESYES!!!!!!

(If it isn't too much trouble... *grin*)

--
From the Department of Bistromatics:                   Chuq Von Rospach