[net.comics] X-Men #190 *SPOILER*

hutch@shark.UUCP (10/30/84)

From: shark!hutch (Stephen Hutchison)
<The mutant power of this line is to supress bugs>

Has anyone else noticed that Claremont is becoming rather wierd?
I don't mind that Kulan-Gath was able to come to our time.
I don't mind that he was able to overcome Professor X, although the
magical merger with Caliban is a bit perverse to say the least.

What I DO mind was that this two-bit tin-pot snake-lover from the past
was able to OVERCOME the Sorceror Supreme in his own place of power.
This goes beyond ridiculous and gets into petty office politics.
Longtime readers may recall that I predicted some problems when Strange
casually destroyed the power of "Margali of the Winding Roads";  I agree
with the authors of Dr. Strange that this character was too powerful and
(if real) Strange would definitely have known about her.  I suspect that
this is behind the latest stupidity.

Strange KNEW about Kulan-Gath.  He casually defeated him.  There is NO
way that K-G could surprise him in his own home, much less transform
him into what I assume is supposed to be a form in which Strange cannot
cast spells.  Bull*hit.  Strange has shown that he can cast his spells
without verbal or somatic components.  Further, he can jump out of his
body AT WHIM.  Even when surprised.  So, even if he WERE to be surprised
(and I doubt it) he would not be so easily overcome.

The only possible way Claremont can worm his way out of this is to show that
this is an Illusion and that Strange is actually quite actively doing things
to thwart the villain.

I will be surprised if this actually happens.  Oh well.

The artwork sucked, as well.  Captain America looked just like Thor, and
there was a sort of hurried, sketchy look to everything.  Admittedly, the
best thing would have been for Barry etc-Smith to have drawn this.  It would
have looked REAL FINE and fit perfectly into the story.  (I can dream, right)

As an aside,  What do you think is going to  happen to Poor Ilyana (Magick)
when she discovers that Rom has been banishing these wraith-things to the
dimension which SHE RULES?  Her power over that dimension is not as secure
as it could be, y'know.

  Hutch
(\_____/)
 \*\ /*/
 |\_=_/|
  \`_'/

ciaraldi@rochester.UUCP (Mike Ciaraldi) (11/02/84)

> As an aside,  What do you think is going to  happen to Poor Ilyana (Magick)
> when she discovers that Rom has been banishing these wraith-things to the
> dimension which SHE RULES?  Her power over that dimension is not as secure
> as it could be, y'know.

Not to worry, The Limbo where ROM  banishes Wraiths is the same Limbo
that Immortus rules (ruled/will rule/will have ruled) and where the
Space Phantom lives.  It is not the Limbo where Ilyana is sometimes
in charge.  Just a coincidence of names, since both are in-between
sorts of dimensions.  How do  I know they aren't the same?
Seems to me it was mentioned in New Mutants a month or two ago...

Mike Ciaraldi
ciaraldi!rochester
seismo!rochester!ciaraldi