	be pregnant?  Or was that just Romita's art?  I take it that
	Marvel has just decided that the story wherein Amanda tried to
	become Dr Strange's apprentice, and it was revealed that she
	and her mother were actually 'posessed' by the wand of Margali,
	is to be ignored, or something.

Beauty/
Beast:	ARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH! (okay?)

TNTT
#49:	Is Wally going to spend the next ten years or so busily dying?
	He is currently appearing in the 'one year from now' version
	of the mag.  Looks like Fran may be up to something interesting.
	Is it my imagination, or do the characters look a little 'scrawny'?
	Nice Infantino art for the mid-section.

Flash:	The *TRIAL*, finally. I hope this doesn't last as long as the preamble.        Why has DC decided to make the Flash the whipping boy?  He always had
	one of the more upbeat books.  Now it's like reading a soap opera.

Did anyone notice the blurb in the DC plug-zine for the JSA mini-series next
month?	And Dr Fate? Now all they have to do is bring the Spectre back, and
I will be very, very happy.  The Aparo stuff from a few back (oh could it
actually be ten years?) had a perverse charm to it.  Gangsters being eaten
by huge ducks, murderers being turned into wood, and being run through
jigsaws: great fun.

Laurie
pucc-k:afo

hsut@ecn-ee.UUCP (08/27/84)

#R:pucc-k:-27400:ecn-ee:24800008:000:425
ecn-ee!hsut    Aug 27 10:23:00 1984

Re: X-men review

        A little bit of a mix-up here. Amanda never tried to
become Dr.Strange's apprentice. The issue of Strange you're
referring to involves Margali Szados and her daughter, who were
possessed by the wand. Obviously all very confusing since
they knew Nightcrawler as a kid... Amanda's last name is Sefton.

                                      Bill H.
                                      pur-ee!hsut

hutch@shark.UUCP (Stephen Hutchison) (08/29/84)

< We SHOULD pelt them with rocks and garbage! >

| X-Men:	... I take it that
| 	Marvel has just decided that the story wherein Amanda tried to
| 	become Dr Strange's apprentice, and it was revealed that she
| 	and her mother were actually 'posessed' by the wand of Margali,
| 	is to be ignored, or something.
|
| Laurie (Sefton)

Ah, I betcha you're just interested because Amanda used to use your last
name, so there!

Marvel hasn't forgotten Dr. Strange, but CLAREMONT might have.

I have a theory about ol' Chris.  See, CC (Hmm ... an AI project?) suffers
so intensely from womb envy that he absolutely CANNOT conceive of any
human female who could possibly be actually EVIL.  They might be misguided,
of course, as is Mystique.  But never e-vile, like a mere (ick) MALE.

(Selene doesn't count, she's not really a human.)

Also, ALL women are secretly the descendants of long lines of sorcerous
witch-queen-mother-protectors.  (And no man is worthy to carry their
machine guns :=)

Anyway, the thing about Chris is that he MUST make a female character
more powerful than is reasonable or even likely.  Therefore, Ilyana,
and Margali Szardos (who Dr. Strange WOULD have known about were she really
what she represented herself as being!!) and 'Roro, and Binary, and so on.

Not that I mind powerful female characters, and Claremont definitely
acts as a counter to Shooter.

Anyway, I think Claremont is deliberately ignoring the implications of the
story in Dr Strange because DS is not a "wide audience" magazine.

And now for something completely the same,

	BYRNE HAS STOPPED INKING HIS OWN WORK IN FF AND AF!!
	Huzzah, huzzah, let the BELLS RING OUT!!

now if he could only find someone else to plagiarize . . . er, write
his stories, for him!

Hutch  (see ya in the funnies, kids)

hsut@ecn-ee.UUCP (08/29/84)

#R:pucc-k:-27400:ecn-ee:24800009:000:1
ecn-ee!hsut    Aug 29 10:27:00 1984

afo@pucc-k (Flidais) (11/03/84)

{so? You look through my files, I look through your mind..see any
differences?}

Opening this week's bag of goodies....

Crossfire #5: Okay, maybe I went a little to far when I say this
	      book was depressing.  Probably more real-life than I
	      would care for at times would be more like it.  The
	      main story was as gritty as anything else I have seen
	      from this title, and the story-line to be appears to
	      be as good.  No mention of the fluorocarbons, though.

Kitty Pride
&
Wolverine #4: Well, I didn't buy any of the Secret Wars, so I can
	      be absolved of this one, can't I?  Actually, I'll buy
	      just about anything with Wolverine acting like
	      Wolverine, and Yukio is *such* a good
	      characterization. Kitty books to the US, leaving a
	      semi-healed Wolvie to take on the Yakuza.  I think
	      this issue was *much* better scripted than the first
	      three, but the artwork didn't do much for me.  Kitty's
	      father is a gold-plated wimp...

Justice
Society #2:   Bizarre artwork in this one.. I don't know whether
	      meant to have the grainy effect, or what.  Wonder
	      Woman appears to be aging rapidly throughout, and you
	      have to wonder how bad off the Sandman is  (I think
	      worse than we realise).  The Spectre seems to be
	      bordering on the line of totally cosmic and totally
	      out to lunch.

Infinity
Inc.	#11:  We do find out what has happened to Stripsey after all
	      these years.  Has the Star-Spangled-Kid aged immensely
	      lately?  I mean he was 18 years old when he popped up
	      a few years back, and he seems to have aged along with
	      real time rather than Earth-2 time.

Blue
Devil	#9:   Yes, Virginia, a mainstream comic can be fun, and
	      include all those villians from the other comic books.
	      What I like about this book is that it follows the
	      same precepts as Zot, the artwork is not the most
	      realistic I have ever seen, but it doesn't need to be.
	      I can't believe that Dan Cassidy is just finding out
	      that the Trident comes when it is called, or that it
	      has a life of its own.  Maybe this will be more fully
	      explained (embellished?) in the next few issues.	The
	      Trickster seems to be a completely different character
	      than he is in the Flash, though.
	      (BTW, if you buy a copy of this issue, you will notice
	      a letter from a certain netter who happens to like
	      this comic a whole bunch....)

That's it for this week.....

Laurie Sefton
{harpo,ihnp4,allegra,decvax}!pur-ee!pucc-h!afo
"Lifemate! Friend of my body and my soul! I will be with you forever!"
--

rick@uwmacc.UUCP (the absurdist) (11/12/84)

In article <551@pucc-k> afo@pucc-k (Flidais) writes:
>Kitty Pride & Wolverine #4: { omitted }	Kitty books to the US, leaving
>	a semi-healed Wolvie to take on the Yakuza.

Ahem.  The panel captions & Kitty's internal monologue say she's gonna
chicken out and go home.  The pictures say something else.
In the background, the speakers are announcing flights to the US (what
she's thinking she'll get on) and to Tokyo (where Ogun is).  She tells
herself that giving up is ok -- but we see her walking past the gate
to the US and towards the flight to Tokyo.

I just LOVE stories where they put worthwhile information into the
pictures;  if I wanted a story told in words, I'd read a novel.

By the by, I'm glad to see Kitty & her father in the story;
Wolverine ripping his way through adversity is too old a story
to stand by itself.  What is important here for me are elements like
	(1)	Wolverine taking on Ogun for Kitty's sake, when he believes
		that it means his own destruction;
	(2)	Wolverine's mixed harshness/gentleness in training Kitty;
		I've always liked his view that children can't be protected
		from reality forever;
	(3) Kitty's father's complete inability to deal with a world of
		sudden death and mystic/mutant/techie powers that he knows
		nothing of :  gives me a viewpoint I can identify with;
	(4) Kitty's being forced (throughout the last 2 years) to deal
		with becoming an adult;  not in some simplistic "Rite of Passage"
		where she has the "adult" bit set in her brain, but in a
		mixture of stories where she does the right or the wrong
		thing, and doesn't always remember what she learned the
		last time.

Kitty is my favorite member of the X-Men.
--
"I feel like some dummy from a TV show asking this, but...
 who ARE you, Masked Man?"

{allegra, ihnp4, seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!rick