[net.comics] Could Jerry possibly be right?

dub@pur-phy.UUCP (Dwight) (11/19/84)

	A little while ago, Jerry suggested that Storm (of the X-men)
might eventually become Dr. Strange's apprentise.  He cited the scene
in the Majik limited series where we see Storm (with a mohawk) getting
defeated by Belasco.  This struck me as hitting the nail on the head.
Now that Storm has lost her elemental powers (forever?) it seemed
like the ideal time for her to go off and learn the arcane arts that
are also a part of her heritage.  Then Storm got on a boat bound for
Africa and I was sure that the whole idea was going down the tubes.
Suddenly, the next X-men issue comes along and, viola, Storm never
made it out of the harbor!  Even more, Dr. Strange was even mentioned
in the story...implying that he may yet connect up with the X-men
and become aware of Storm.
	Then I reread the latest Dr. Strange and it
appears that, for a number of issues to come, he will be
battling it out with Ulma(sp?) of the dark dimension.
	Is there any hope that Jerry's prediction will come to pass?
It would appear that Storm and the Master of the Mystic Arts are
bond to miss each other.  The only hope lies in the thought that
the two titles don't have to be simultaneous.  Atleast this idea
would agree with the Special Theory of Relativity which states that
no two comic events are truly simultaneous unless one has two brains.

	  .:::::.       The ghost of Albert Einstein is looking
   PAX   /\ o  :::      over my shoulder slowly shaking its head...
    !   (--\ \  ::
     \__/   ######              Dwight Bartholomew
	    @@@@)))&&
UUCP:{ decvax, icalqa, ihnp4, inuxc, sequent, uiucdcs  }!pur-ee!pur-phy!dub
     { decwrl, hplabs, icase, psuvax1, siemens, ucbvax }|purdue!pur-phy!dub

boyajian@akov68.DEC (Jerry Boyajian) (11/27/84)

> From:	Pucc-H:pur-phy!dub	(Dwight Bartholomew)

> Subj: Could Jerry possibly be right?

Gee, that would be nice, wouldn't it? :-)

> 	A little while ago, Jerry suggested that Storm (of the X-men)
> might eventually become Dr. Strange's apprentise.  He cited the scene
> in the Majik limited series where we see Storm (with a mohawk) getting
> defeated by Belasco.  This struck me as hitting the nail on the head.

If one wanted to get picky, I really just thought that it would be a neat
idea if she were to become his apprentice. I wasn't putting it on the level
of a prediction. Claremont has made it known (actually, it was in the
MARVEL HANDBOOK, but the info most likely ultimately came from Claremont)
that magic is indeed part of Ororo's ancestral heritage. And, indeed, in
MAGIK #3, it's a mohawked Storm that's fighting Belasco, so evidently, she
*does* learn sorcery. It seems obvious that Strange would be the best place
to learn it, but again, it was more idle wish than anything else.

> Now that Storm has lost her elemental powers (forever?) it seemed
> like the ideal time for her to go off and learn the arcane arts that
> are also a part of her heritage.  Then Storm got on a boat bound for
> Africa and I was sure that the whole idea was going down the tubes.

Except that she may well end up learning her arcane heritage from some old
shaman from her ancestral tribe.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA